Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

new member needs help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee

• 14 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 10:36 AM

Hi.I was wondering what would be a good home theater system for an apartment?I have $600 to spend.I already have a tv,old vcr,and dvd player.I am looking for quality surround sound for watching movies and tv.Ive looked at sony htib.Are these any good?Would it be cheaper to buy everything seperate?Thanks for any replies.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee

• 14 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 11:38 AM

Also for such a small space would it be better to just get a receiver and some good bookshelf speakers and maybe a subwolfer?Thanks

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 07:06 PM

So all you really need is a reciever and a speaker set up right? Let me suggest the Sherwood 6108 (130.00) and the Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1 speaker set-up (200.00) You'll be happy with the results and the price will leave you with some $$ to buy some new DVD's to try out you new system with. Good Luck.... Posted ImagePosted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   SethH

• 2,867 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 12:31 AM

You might also consider the Klipsch quintets along with the Sherwood 6108 mentioned above. They are sold at bestbuy and sound pretty darn good for the price.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hi there, Jesse, and welcome aboard. I moved your thread here to A/V Sources because that's where you want to ask for specific advice on HTiB systems. The Basics area is for general and theoretical discussion at the beginner level. Best of luck on putting together your system.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee

• 14 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 07:34 AM

I went to circut city last night and was looking at an onkyo reciever(txsr501) for $299 and a pair of polk speakers(rt16bk) for $165 a piece.I listened to the speakers and they sounded really good.Would a pair of bookshelf speakers be the way to go?I eventually will want a full surround sound system.So I diffinatly want a good reciever and speakers I can build my future system around.So far I really like the onkyo and yamaha recievers and I have no idea about speakers.Thanks for the replies.I will look into the sherwood.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Don_Berg

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 07:46 AM

Onkyo is a very good choice, also Denon for receivers. You have the right idea, get a decent receiver first, then add speakers as you can afford it. Polk is a great speaker brand. Also the center channel speaker is very important since most of the dialog comes out of that channel - get one that matches the timbre of the front speakers from the same manufacturer.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee

• 14 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 09:30 AM

what is the timbre?So should I get 2 sides and a center or just the 2 sides?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Drew_W

• 1,718 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 10:41 AM

Sides? Those are the middle pair in a 7.1 setup. You mean Fronts...

You're probably better off getting a SOLID start with a stereo setup running off an HT receiver. That'll probably leave you more satisfied than a cheap surround system or an HTiB.

i.e. You'll want speakers of a common timbre, hence timbre matching.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Bill$D

• 3 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 09:11 PM

I'm no expert but I just installed an Onkyo ht 760 home theater in a box in my home theater. The sound is great. I priced it at $500 on the internet and a local shop matched that price. It comes with six speakers and a powered subwoofer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users