What's new

Tivo hookup with AV receiver and digital cable audio?? (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hello proffesionals, I come to you with an interesting question, well, interesting to me at least. I did a search and didn't find much help with this matter, so here it goes...
I just picked up a Tivo Series 2 unit, and am looking to add it to my Cablevision digital cable, sony STR-DE675 receiver, and JVC 27 inch crappy TV. I followed all the steps and discovered to my dismay that being Tivo doesn't have a digital audio input or output, I get a delay when watching live TV. I run my audio using a digital audio coax and my video with an s-video. I ran RCA's from my cable box to my tivo and out to my receiver. S-video takes my video to the TV from the receiver. When I watch live tv I have a delay in the video due to the fact that it has to process through the tivo, resulting in voice not matching video. If I switch within the receiver over to analog inputs (RCA), the voice syncs up, but I loose my beloved digital sound (5.1 and such). Basically, if I want to watch TV in dolby digital, I loose the tivo functionality of rewind and pause and such. Does anybody have experience with this issue, and maybe a work around.

The best way I can figure it at this point is this:

- when watching live TV, loose the pause and rewind features, which I don't know if I would use alot anyway
- Use the RCA jacks primarily, taking a step back, except when watching HBO, etc, and hit the button to enable the digital inputs on my receiver.
- work out something with the macros on my sony programable remote to assist, and limit the button pushing.
Any suggestions guys, and sorry for the confusing post, thanks

kevitra

Second Unit
You must watch both your video and audio through the TiVo or they are not going to be synched up.
What you are trying to do wouldn't ever work even if you could fix the delay (some receiver/preamps will fix delay) for this reason: If you pause the TiVo you would still hear the live broadcast and then when you hit 'play' you would be many seconds behind the live broadcast.

Cable TV isn't in 5.1 anyway so you really aren't losing anything by using the analog jacks. You can still use Prologic II (or I) on the signal.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the help.
And, yeah my cable TV has a huge amount of dolby digital 5.1 content. I have cablevision in NY, their digital cable IO product is excellent. Many 5.1 choices as well as pro logic and dolby digital 2.0. It sounds great.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
You could take advantage of 5.1 through TiVO if you switched to DirecTiVO....those boxes have digital outputs.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks