What's new

Elvis: '68 Comeback/Aloha From Hawaii DVD Update (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
From the Elvis World Japan site:

BMG and EPE is scheduled to release "The '68 Comeback" deluxe-edition DVD June 22.

The three-disc set contains seven hours of content showcasing never-before-seen performances, the original unedited TV special as it aired and all the outtakes from the skits.

"Aloha From Hawaii" will be released at the same time. The double-DVD will have special packaging with three to four hours of previously unreleased material and content.

Jeffrey

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
But what about the sound? For once I'd like to hear those classic specials in stereo, especially a 5.1 mix!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Complete sit down shows for the 68' special? I'd love 5.1 but I'd settel for good 2.0 Dolby PCM.

These sound super sweet, I can't wait!

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
As far as the '68 comeback special, only the production numbers were recorded in multi-track.

Jeffrey

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Shazam!

It's about time these two titles came out on DVD and in what sounds like a great package on both programs.

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
The existing "Aloha" from "lightyear" has an amazing 5.1 mix. Very nicely done. Better sonics than any cd version I've ever had of this show.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got the 68 special, you wont be disapointed. The video looks as good as it could to my eye considering the source, the 5.1 isn;t gimicky on the parts I sampled (Sit down, stand up concerts.) but full and rich. The out takes are repetitive, but facinating, it is THE KING afterall!

I havn't got the Aloha yet, I'll probably grab it this weekend, it wasn;t in the store on tues.

wayne pal

Auditioning
I remember seeing the 68 comeback special on dvd before. I think it was called "one night with you" I think it had the sit down numbers and the stand up ones as well. i was wondering if this new 3 disk edition is better than the old one.

Has anyone seen the older one? Is it decent?

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
The "One Night With You" disc only consisted of the June 27th sitdown show...and that one is incomplete due to the absence of "Are You Lonesome Tonight", which had to be cut due to publishing rights.

Although "One Night" is decent in terms of quality, the newly released "Elvis '68 Comeback Special Deluxe Edition" 3 disc set blows it away in terms of content and visual upgrading. It has all four concerts taped for the special in their entirety (both sitdown gigs, both mini-arena performances), the original NBC special (with one song added that had to be removed due to a sponsor's indifference) and every outtake from the show's production numbers (over 100 takes in total).

Live on peanut butter and jelly for a month; etc. -- It is more than worth it (and if you're still not convinced, check out this review at digitallyOBSESSED!)

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=6130

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the 68" comeback special Deluxe has been cut!!

I just watched the NBC show on disc one, and it's missing the "It Hurt's Me" Karate sequence after Big Boss Man. On the disc 3 extras, it shows numerous clips from this sequence, but it's not on the special as it originally aired, despite having the song listed on the menu's and packaging. I've seen the sequence on every previous video and TV airing of the special, so what gives? Do I have a flawed disc, was it not on the show in '68, or is it cut?

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
The above is the final paragraph from the official website. It reads to me (at least) like they hope to address the issue in some way.

I have to say that I certainly wouldn't mind paying a small fee (to cover the cost of pressing revised discs, printing a new booklet and shipping) to get this material. I say this because it appears to be an honest mistake and they are clear in explaining what happened on the site.

I can understand why some folks would be disappointed and want them to fix the set for free, but I think it would go a long way in getting this addressed if buyers would be willing to meet them halfway on this. YMMV of course.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Well, it's a bummer to be sure, and I'm with Al on this, I'd gladly pay a nominal fee to have a corrected disc, just don't make us rebuy the set at full pop.

That said, it's not like the set is a write off, and if they missed anything, this is probably the more acceptable thing to miss. The song is week, and the fight scene is more hilarious than anything. The cheese factor is high, which is why so many enjoy it of course. I'm still happy with the set.

A way to get this out is to add it as a free bonus disc with "Elvis In Concert", which is still unreleased from '76 or '77. I've seen a bootleg of it, and while it's sad to watch, his voice is amazing on some numbers. I'd love a complete version of this, like the Aloha set.

Ian Garton

Grip
People on the alt.elvis.king newsgroup are saying that single-disc versions of both the '68 Comeback Special and Aloha From Hawaii will be issued in 2005. I don't think it's been confirmed though.

"It Hurts Me" is one of my favourite songs in the whole show.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks