Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Elvis: '68 Comeback/Aloha From Hawaii DVD Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 02:51 AM

From the Elvis World Japan site:

BMG and EPE is scheduled to release "The '68 Comeback" deluxe-edition DVD June 22.

The three-disc set contains seven hours of content showcasing never-before-seen performances, the original unedited TV special as it aired and all the outtakes from the skits.

"Aloha From Hawaii" will be released at the same time. The double-DVD will have special packaging with three to four hours of previously unreleased material and content.

Jeffrey
"Everybody's a dreamer...and everybody's a star...and everybody's in showbiz, it doesn't matter who you are..." -- Ray Davies

#2 of 21 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 03:18 AM

But what about the sound? For once I'd like to hear those classic specials in stereo, especially a 5.1 mix!!!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#3 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 08 2004 - 03:26 AM

Complete sit down shows for the 68' special? I'd love 5.1 but I'd settel for good 2.0 Dolby PCM.

These sound super sweet, I can't wait!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#4 of 21 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 03:29 AM

As far as the '68 comeback special, only the production numbers were recorded in multi-track.

Jeffrey
"Everybody's a dreamer...and everybody's a star...and everybody's in showbiz, it doesn't matter who you are..." -- Ray Davies

#5 of 21 Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 07:54 AM

Shazam!

It's about time these two titles came out on DVD and in what sounds like a great package on both programs.

#6 of 21 Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 08:13 AM

The existing "Aloha" from "lightyear" has an amazing 5.1 mix. Very nicely done. Better sonics than any cd version I've ever had of this show.

#7 of 21 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 09:00 AM

Will the original commercials be included? I'll buy it just for that!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 21 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 06:32 PM

It's pretty much official: "Deluxe Editions" of these classic specials street 6/22/04

http://www.elvis.com..._68comeback.gif

Keep on TCB,

Jeffvis

#9 of 21 Brian W

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:51 PM

any reviews?, purchased today but not yet opened!

#10 of 21 Brian W

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:51 PM

any reviews?, purchased today but not yet opened!

#11 of 21 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 05:25 PM

My copies get here Friday.

#12 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 24 2004 - 05:49 PM

I got the 68 special, you wont be disapointed. The video looks as good as it could to my eye considering the source, the 5.1 isn;t gimicky on the parts I sampled (Sit down, stand up concerts.) but full and rich. The out takes are repetitive, but facinating, it is THE KING afterall!

I havn't got the Aloha yet, I'll probably grab it this weekend, it wasn;t in the store on tues.

This post kills threads!

#13 of 21 wayne pal

wayne pal

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 25 2004 - 02:49 PM

I remember seeing the 68 comeback special on dvd before. I think it was called "one night with you" I think it had the sit down numbers and the stand up ones as well. i was wondering if this new 3 disk edition is better than the old one.

Has anyone seen the older one? Is it decent?

#14 of 21 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 25 2004 - 05:49 PM

The "One Night With You" disc only consisted of the June 27th sitdown show...and that one is incomplete due to the absence of "Are You Lonesome Tonight", which had to be cut due to publishing rights.

Although "One Night" is decent in terms of quality, the newly released "Elvis '68 Comeback Special Deluxe Edition" 3 disc set blows it away in terms of content and visual upgrading. It has all four concerts taped for the special in their entirety (both sitdown gigs, both mini-arena performances), the original NBC special (with one song added that had to be removed due to a sponsor's indifference) and every outtake from the show's production numbers (over 100 takes in total).

Live on peanut butter and jelly for a month; etc. -- It is more than worth it (and if you're still not convinced, check out this review at digitallyOBSESSED!)

http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=6130

#15 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 08 2004 - 03:11 AM

I think the 68" comeback special Deluxe has been cut!!

I just watched the NBC show on disc one, and it's missing the "It Hurt's Me" Karate sequence after Big Boss Man. On the disc 3 extras, it shows numerous clips from this sequence, but it's not on the special as it originally aired, despite having the song listed on the menu's and packaging. I've seen the sequence on every previous video and TV airing of the special, so what gives? Do I have a flawed disc, was it not on the show in '68, or is it cut?

This post kills threads!

#16 of 21 Ian Garton

Ian Garton

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 10:25 AM

It's really a shame that "It Hurts Me" is missing from that production number. The official response is found here:

http://www.elvis.com...q/faq.asp?id=23

Ian

#17 of 21 Al (alweho)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
While most Elvis fans/collectors we've heard from are thrilled with the '68 DVD set and herald it as the most significant and exhaustive release of a collection of Elvis performance material ever, we absolutely understand, respect, appreciate and share the concerns expressed by some fans and collectors regarding the the few missing pieces. We, BMG and our technical collaborators are evaluating all options for addressing this further, and satisfactorily, for concerned fans (and ourselves). We will update our information about this the very moment that we can. That will take a little time yet. But, we are "on it." Please bear with us. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. In the meantime, we know you'll thoroughly enjoy this monumental 7-hour DVD set.
The above is the final paragraph from the official website. It reads to me (at least) like they hope to address the issue in some way.

I have to say that I certainly wouldn't mind paying a small fee (to cover the cost of pressing revised discs, printing a new booklet and shipping) to get this material. I say this because it appears to be an honest mistake and they are clear in explaining what happened on the site.

I can understand why some folks would be disappointed and want them to fix the set for free, but I think it would go a long way in getting this addressed if buyers would be willing to meet them halfway on this. YMMV of course.
"Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

#18 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 09 2004 - 03:22 AM

Well, it's a bummer to be sure, and I'm with Al on this, I'd gladly pay a nominal fee to have a corrected disc, just don't make us rebuy the set at full pop.

That said, it's not like the set is a write off, and if they missed anything, this is probably the more acceptable thing to miss. The song is week, and the fight scene is more hilarious than anything. The cheese factor is high, which is why so many enjoy it of course. I'm still happy with the set.

A way to get this out is to add it as a free bonus disc with "Elvis In Concert", which is still unreleased from '76 or '77. I've seen a bootleg of it, and while it's sad to watch, his voice is amazing on some numbers. I'd love a complete version of this, like the Aloha set.

This post kills threads!

#19 of 21 Ian Garton

Ian Garton

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 11:40 AM

People on the alt.elvis.king newsgroup are saying that single-disc versions of both the '68 Comeback Special and Aloha From Hawaii will be issued in 2005. I don't think it's been confirmed though.

"It Hurts Me" is one of my favourite songs in the whole show. Posted Image

Ian

#20 of 21 Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 08:14 PM

Russell G,

It sounds like they have no plans to release a DVD of "Elvis in Concert" in the foreseeable future, if ever.

http://www.elvis.com...q/faq.asp?id=28