-

Photo
- - - - -

Non DVD picture calibration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Artis Hall

Artis Hall

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 08:15 AM

How are you calibrating your cable picture? Of course my Avia disc works to calibrate my 480i/p input to the DVD player but how are you using that on the other input the HD box is on? Are you just copying the settings over to the 1080i input? Seems that this is using your DVD settings for your HD box and would be incorrect IMHO. Any insight?
"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with a clearly unarmed individual"

#2 of 8 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 06 2004 - 08:39 AM

Greetings

Copying the settings over is a good place to start. There is no best setting for cable or satellite ... HD or not.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 8 Artis Hall

Artis Hall

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 09:02 AM

Ok, that makes sense Mike (I was hoping you would answer) I just kept hearing others refer to calibration on cable/sat/HD pictures so I figured I would ask. Thanks Posted Image
"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with a clearly unarmed individual"

#4 of 8 Dick White

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 10:51 AM

I have been thinking about hooking my DVD player to my DirecTV HD receiver and using that with Video Essentials as a starting point for my HDMI input. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble and will be any better than just starting with the settings from the 480p component input the DVD player is connected to.

As has been pointed out in other threads, the variation is so great from channel to channel and even shot to shot that it really seems like getting a "stable" setting for even black level and contrast may be a lost cause. It's really frustrating to have to do constant tweaking that I seldom had to do with my analog set. The OTA HD channels and the DirecTV HD channels look pretty good with not a lot of tweaking needed, but everything else tends to look pretty bad and I find myself constantly adjusting color and tint and often black level/contrast.

#5 of 8 nick_rh

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 11:21 AM

I used DVE to calibrate my DVD settings, copied those over to the satellite, and then adjusted them by eye while watching various programs.

#6 of 8 Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:39 PM

I did mine and it seemed to have effected all the inputs. Am I wrong. (pana pt-53wxd63). I use the same mode on all sources. I will have to set all my settings again after sat, I have a person coming to ajust my set. I have a red bar next to the green when centering the green with the screen. http://www.hometheat....hreadid=191982

Maybe he will be nice and show me if I have done it wrong.Posted Image

#7 of 8 nick_rh

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
I did mine and it seemed to have effected all the inputs. Am I wrong. (pana pt-53wxd63). I use the same mode on all sources.

The Panasonics let you select a different mode for each source. The first time you switch to a different picture mode on a given source, it will always switch back to that mode whenever you switch to that source. I use Cinema for DVD, Standard for HD, and Vivid for satellite.

#8 of 8 Harold Southard

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:52 PM

Thanks. Thats what I thought. I have noticed even with all my settings the same in each mode that standard and vivid are still a bit brighter.