Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Weird. My New Bela Fleck DVD-A is a CD.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 07:31 AM

i recently ordered his "tales from the acoustic planet, vol.2" dvda, and although the packaging and liner notes clearly state and allude to it being a dvda, the disc is a damn CD. it's weird because it's one of the few (if not the only dvdas) that i have whose jewel-case is indistinguishable from a cd case. i wonder how many were shipped out like this? did i just fall off the turnip truck, and this is already a known problem?
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 08:20 AM

The only Bela Fleck DVD-A on the market is the second Tales From Acoustic Planet (bluegrass sessions). There is no DVD-A of the first.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 08:29 AM

ok, ok, edited. the dvda is what i bought. it's without a doubt absolutely a CD, identical, exactly, to the one i already own.

it's being returned, but like i said, i wonder how many shipped like this?

i got it from cc online, btw.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:58 PM

I have a bona fide DVD-A which came in a special jewel case. Sounds great, although I know some puists don't care for the experience of being in the center of the surround mix.
Jim

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 03:24 AM

Yes, I have seen this before. About a year ago, after I had owned the DVD-A for a while, I was rummaging through a Best Buy and found the DVD-A labeling on a redbook-sized case. Since I didn't buy it, I didn't know what was inside. I believe this case had the redbook scan number (don't recall for sure) - easy enough to compare with unambiguous DVD-A and redbook cases, as both were present.

Quote:
Sounds great, although I know some puists don't care for the experience of being in the center of the surround mix.

I generally prefer 2-channel, but this DVD-A is essential as a surround (and it comes only with a surround track, irrespective of what the packaging states). It works with the "you-in-the-middle-of-the-band" mode, IMO, because of the bluegrass/acoustic genre and the fact that the photos of where they apparently put the album together reinforce the imagery of you hanging out with the band in the living room while they're playing. The instrument locations are consistent throughout.

Doug

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 03:42 AM

yeah, it's been returned. it was strange. clearly printed, in ink, on the back jewel-box insert was the dvd-a logo and the warning that it required not just a dvd player but a dvdA player to access the hirez dvda tracks. it's even weirder that, apparently, all the dvdas of this disc ARE in the right size box. it might make a little sense if the inserts WERE interchangeable, but they're not. someone screwed up.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary_W

Gary_W

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 11:37 PM

I had the exact same problem when I ordered the disc a year or two back from Amazon. I received the redbook that did have the dvd-a logo on it. The real dvd-a does not come in a standard redbook case but in a regular dvd-a case. It was a pain in the ass getting the correct one finally shipped to me, but eventually was worth the trouble.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 08:44 AM

I don't know about you but I would prefer that all discs (CD, DVD-A etc...) came in a standard size case juse for storage purposes.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 01:13 PM

http://www.allposter..../startpage.asp
"I'm your Huckleberry"