What's new

Amerika: 1987 Miniseries - Anyone else want this? (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Hi,

Is anyone else interested in a release of the 1987 miniseries, "Amerika"? With "The Day After" being released, I REALLY wish they would release this miniseries. VHS sets go for hundreds of dollars on Ebay. I have never seen this miniseries, but have read a lot about it and would buy it blind. I am a history buff (just graduated with a history degree) and this film/series is of great interest to me.

Would anyone else buy this? Just wondering. As I said, I have not seen, but am DYING to watch it and would buy it blind on release day...So come on, anyone with me? :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I enjoyed it when it was on TV years ago, but I have a feeling it probably hasn't aged well, made in a world that doesn't really exist anymore.

Still, it would be interesting to see it again...

Jason

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Yah, you are probably right. I don't think The Day After has aged well, but I still enjoy it...then again, I am a big Cold War history junkie too, so anything associated with it is at least mildly interesting to me. I also like "What If?" history stuff, making Amerika[/b[ even more intriguing. I just want to watch it, but can't afford the Ebay prices for the VHS set...

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. I'd also buy Amerida, where the U.S. is invaded by Canada ;)

De

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

I know I know :) The Amerida joke came from an old SNL episode that sought to cash in on the then timely TV film. The gag parodied Nightline with "Henry Kissinger" and "Carl Sagan" as guests, which quickly became a nod to You Bet Your Life.

De

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I remember watching this as a kid but being disappointed by the ending. IIRC, conservatives were upset that the miniseries didn't feature a harsh enough portrayal of our Soviet occupiers but liberals complained that the United Nations was used as the tool of Soviet occupation.

It would be interesting to watch this with a lot of years of hindsight and change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks