-

Photo
- - - - -

Amerika: 1987 Miniseries - Anyone else want this?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 01:58 AM

Hi,

Is anyone else interested in a release of the 1987 miniseries, "Amerika"? With "The Day After" being released, I REALLY wish they would release this miniseries. VHS sets go for hundreds of dollars on Ebay. I have never seen this miniseries, but have read a lot about it and would buy it blind. I am a history buff (just graduated with a history degree) and this film/series is of great interest to me.

Would anyone else buy this? Just wondering. As I said, I have not seen, but am DYING to watch it and would buy it blind on release day...So come on, anyone with me? Posted Image
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#2 of 7 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 05:08 AM

Well, I enjoyed it when it was on TV years ago, but I have a feeling it probably hasn't aged well, made in a world that doesn't really exist anymore.

Still, it would be interesting to see it again...

Jason

#3 of 7 ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 05:28 AM

Yah, you are probably right. I don't think The Day After has aged well, but I still enjoy it...then again, I am a big Cold War history junkie too, so anything associated with it is at least mildly interesting to me. I also like "What If?" history stuff, making [b]Amerika[/b[ even more intriguing. I just want to watch it, but can't afford the Ebay prices for the VHS set...
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#4 of 7 Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 10:52 AM

I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. I'd also buy Amerida, where the U.S. is invaded by Canada Posted Image

De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#5 of 7 Rob Mac

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 10:09 AM

"Amerika" was made in Canada.
Rob Mac

#6 of 7 Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:15 PM

Quote:
"Amerika" was made in Canada.

I know I know Posted Image The Amerida joke came from an old SNL episode that sought to cash in on the then timely TV film. The gag parodied Nightline with "Henry Kissinger" and "Carl Sagan" as guests, which quickly became a nod to You Bet Your Life.

De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#7 of 7 Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 04:40 PM

I remember watching this as a kid but being disappointed by the ending. IIRC, conservatives were upset that the miniseries didn't feature a harsh enough portrayal of our Soviet occupiers but liberals complained that the United Nations was used as the tool of Soviet occupation.

It would be interesting to watch this with a lot of years of hindsight and change.