What's new

Best Buy to reformat their DVD department... (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is probably the better area to discuss that press release, Scott. Thanks for posting it.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Interesting Scott. Thanks for the heads-up. It'll be interesting to see how much of a real-world this results in, but it's definitely a strong non to the ever growing strength of DVD.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Im probably in the minority, but I just wish they would do everything in alphabetical order. I mean, that way, there would be no question as to where they would find something. If I want Alien, I go to 'A' instead of guessing Sci-Fi or Action, if I want Shanghai Noon, I go to 'S' instead of guessing, Comedy, Action, or Martial Arts, if I want Return to Oz, I go to 'R' instead of guessing Disney, or Adventure...etc.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
CDs and DVDs should both be this way. You never can guess what the person who decided what category a movie is what smoking at the time of sorting.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ but the goal for them is for you to BROWSE. They don't want people to just march in there, grab the dvd they want right away, and leave. They want people to look around, search for the titles they're looking for, and hoping that while you do this, you'll also stumble on other titles that you may end up buying. More $$ for them! :)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

AMEN, brother. i can't tell you the number of times i've thought the same thing as i've wandered thru various sections trying to find a movie that could fit several genres.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetical order would be okay if you were the only one in the store... but can you imagine all the people in the "S" section on a weekend ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So now Best Buy is emulating Media Play (which I thought they owned anyhow, along with some other chain stores).

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I like alphabetical order too, much easier to find titles that are on the bubble with two or three categories.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

You mean what the MOVIE COMPANY is smoking?? Employees do NOT decide what genre the film goes under!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Nope, LESS money for them. God knows how many times I wanted a dvd and couldn't find it cause it was missorted. I used to spend a long time going through all the different sections. But as time goes on, screw it. If I can't find it pretty quickly, I'm moving on. Alphabetical would be much better. Circuit City got so bad that I mostly never even try to find anything in there anymore (unless it's an advertised special).

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

CDs in alphabetical order?! If something like this was ever implemented, instead of browsing just the "soundtrack" section for interesting film scores, I'd have to look through ALL of the CDs! No thanks, browsing a single section takes enough time and contains enough junk to filter through.

If I do have a specific DVD title that I'm looking for and it takes me three tries to guess the genre, I've eaten up maybe five minutes of my time searching for it. That seems like a decent trade-off for more convenient browsing (which I do much more often than search for a specific title).

When Best Buy says that the "musical category will be cut," does that mean that movies like The Sound of Music are going to be listed under comedy, drama, or something else? Or does that just mean that this section will still exist, but it will be made smaller since the "music DVD" titles have been moved to the CD area?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I don't agree...

I worked at Virgin Megastore in Denver one summer. During one reconfiguration of the store, all the import CDs were merged with the domestic CDs. It was much easier to find interesting import music when it had its own section.

And I HATE shopping at my local CC because they merchandise the TV on DVD within the genre of the show ("Friends" in Comedy, for example) rather than having a TV section.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Arranging all the titles in alphabetical order is a solution that is only practical in theory.
Putting DVDs into sub-categories and then alpha is easier to maintain over the long haul and I think it makes it easier to find the items I want, but heck that is just my opinion.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Yes, that is correct. Best Buy at one time had purchased Sam Goody, Musicland, Suncoast, etc. However, it apparently was losing money so it all got sold off again.

The reason stuff isn't in alphabetical order is because imagine when new releases come out and the ENTIRE DVD SECTION has to be resorted. I think it's easier when there are several shelves to resort instead of ALL OF THEM. So now you know.

And if some of you people have such a hard time finding DVDs, why don't you just ask someone that works there?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Ha hah ha ha hah hahahahahahahah....stop it, ROTFLMAO....hahahahahaha....*wipes tear*...stop it...you're killin' me here! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks