Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Night of the Hunter (1955) SE?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Lyle H.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 03:11 AM

With the announcment of the SE of Manchurian Candidate, do you reckon MGM will re-master and add extras to a new release of Night of the Hunter? The DVD was pretty crappy, but i'll take what I can get until they decide this is more worthwhile to remaster than Journey to the Seventh Planet.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 09:04 AM

I saw "Night of the Hunter" in Chicago about 2 years ago and at that presentation one of the people responsible for the film's restoration held a Q&A session. He mentioned during that session that Elsa Lanchester (Charles Laughton's Widow) had donated all of her home movies to the UCLA film archives. These films included copius amounts of backstage footage during the filming of "Night of the Hunter". He mentioned that this footage would be assembled into a feature length documentary and that a new DVD of "Night of the Hunter" would come out at some time in the future and would contain some of this footage. I've still got my fingers crossed.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 10:53 AM

This must happen! MGM needs to get on this. I would kill for a new transfer.
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
My Sweet Cuppin' Cake of a DVD Collectionwww.thedigitalbits.com

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 05:42 AM

I saw "Night of the Hunter" in Chicago about 2 years ago and at that presentation one of the people responsible for the film's restoration held a Q&A session. He mentioned during that session that Elsa Lanchester (Charles Laughton's Widow) had donated all of her home movies to the UCLA film archives. These films included copius amounts of backstage footage during the filming of "Night of the Hunter". He mentioned that this footage would be assembled into a feature length documentary and that a new DVD of "Night of the Hunter" would come out at some time in the future and would contain some of this footage. I've still got my fingers crossed. ********************** These are not "home movies" but hours of outtakes from the film itself.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 03:39 AM

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 04:27 AM

I'd buy a SE remaster.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Lyle H.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 08:09 AM

Who do I email about this? I'd buy several copies of this! :-D

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 10:59 AM

I'm happy to hear that the documentary was completed. Curious that I haven't heard anything about it though. I hope that this makes a tour of major US cities and eventually DVD. "Night of the Hunter" is one of my top 10 movies and have a framed lobby card of Mitchum with "Love" & "Hate" on his knuckles right over my couch.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 12:50 PM

That would be amazing if MGM would release a Criterion-style SE with the 158 min. documentary included. Or...Criterion could just produce the set. I wonder how many people connnected with movies have really cool behind the scenes footage just sitting in their closets. Its rumored that Greg Nicotero (the make-up effect supervisor on Evil Dead 2) has over 6 hours of behind the scenes footage of ED2 in his house. I wish studios would spend more time tracking this stuff down.
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
My Sweet Cuppin' Cake of a DVD Collectionwww.thedigitalbits.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users