What's new

What "Pilot" TV Show that never made it as a series would you buy? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I really loved the TV pilot "Lookwell" starring Batman's Adam West. I think it's the one of the funniest cop shows that for some reason didn't make it. With all the crap that's on TV today, this show was definitely worthy of having at least 12 episodes done. It was written by Conan O'Brien and produced by Lorne Michaels. Unfortunately it was never picked up and the pilot only exists in bootlegs. I wish they would release this episode along with other great TV "one timers" that never got picked up. Feel free to add to the list.

Carlos.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I would buy "Lookwell", or pretty much anything that showed up on "The Other Network" when it toured through Boston. ESPECIALLY "Heat Vision And Jack". There are several others I'd like to see, mostly science fiction stuff like the two future-cop shows that didn't get picked up last season (Bochco's "NYPD 2069" and Chris Titus in "Future Shock") and stuff with favorite actors I won't otherwise see (Hugh Laurie and Liz Vassey in "The Dragans of New York", Bruce Campbell in "Missing Links")

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I have hundreds of unsold pilots back from the days when networks actually aired them. Don't think we will see them issued although the Blazing Saddles pilot is being included on the DVD release of the movie. So maybe we can get them that way. Little Darlings pilot anyone?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
One I'd buy would be "Monsignor Martinez," a live-action King of the Hill spinoff about the ass-kicking Mexican priest character. It was directed by Mike Judge. I've heard it was awkwardly-made but very funny (which describes a lot of Judge's work), and that nobody picked it up because they couldn't quite face the idea of doing a whole series about a priest shooting at people. Maybe it'll turn up on a KotH DVD set someday.

I'd also like to see some of the unsold pilots created by NewsRadio creator Paul Simms, like the peace-corps sitcom described in the book "The Showrunners," and his recent production "Dexter Prep."

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I would like to see the Dick wolf produced pilot of The invisible Man that FOX didn't pick up as a series. Also I like to see the pilot for a US version of Ultraviolet (heard it wasn't that good and FOX didn't pick up the US version).

What else:
ASTRONAUTS (ABC)
RED DWARF (US Remake made for NBC- saw the first pilot, but the second pilot has Terry Farrell as Cat)

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen either of these US versions. I heard they were terrible, though. But if they were a bonus on a DVD I would watch them.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I believe Judd Apatow has been behind a few pilots that were really good, but never progressed to a series. I don't know what they were, but that's what I hear.

I would definitely by a Judd Apatow Pilots DVD.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There is a somewhat infamous "Clerks" live-action pilot starring Jim Breur and Keri Russell (and it doesn't even feature Jay and Silent Bob!) made without the participation of Kevin Smith and View Askew floating around out there. I'd be interested in seeing it.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
Yes............ The Questor Tapes.
i would love to have this big time on dvd.

also " EXOMAN " i would kill for this one on dvd.

as well as " The Amazing Captain Nemo "

oh and one more big hit for me is " THE GIRL, THE GOLDWATCH AND EVERYTHING " :emoji_thumbsup:

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

I seen this pilot. It was horrible. It makes you wonder how some bad pilots get made.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
A rare 1980's pilot starring Richard Crenna called "Joshua's World". It was set in the 1930's and had Crenna starring as a white doctor in a town whose people didn't like the fact that he treated black patients. He ends up fighting the KKK at the end. Easy to see why it didn't make it but I thought it was entertaining.

Randy

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Are you saying the TV movie was a pilot, or was there a pilot made for a TV series? In any case, I'd want either.

JMS's "Legend Of The Rangers" would be another one, but that probably will come after all of the B5 and Crusades stuff comes out...

Jason

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I had forgotten that. Didn't that get picked up for midseason this year, but I guess got cancelled along the way?

Bruckheimer produced it, didn't he?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks