Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DD-EX & DTS-ES encoded movies listing

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
812 replies to this topic

#1 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 07:22 AM

In my research these are the titles I've found that are encoded in EX/ES in Region 1 only;

This list is a guide to help home theater enthusiasts who want an 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound experience via DVD. The majority of the time, the EX/ES encoding isn't listed on the DVD itself and the other half of the time the EX/ES listing on DVDs is incorrect!Posted Image

*These titles also include their SuberBit and D-Theater counterparts as well.
Posted Image - These titles also include Blu-Ray
HD-DVD LOGO FORTHCOMING - These titles also include HD-DVD

Posted Image
    [*]102 Dalmatians[*]30 Days of Night Posted Image[*]3:10 to Yuma Posted Image[*]Alamo, The[*]Alien Adventure - 3D (IMAX)[*]Alone in the Dark[*]Art Of War, The[*]Artificial Intelligence: A.I.[*]Astronaut's Wife, The[*]Atlantis: Lost Empire, The[*]Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me[*]Austin Powers in Goldmember[*]Avalon - 2001 version[*]Avenging Fist, The (aka Tekken)[*]Bad Taste[*]Bats[*]Beastmaster[*]Bone Collector, The[*]Bones[*]Blade II[*]Blade: Trinity[*]Bridge to Terabithia[*]Butterfly Effect, The[*]Can't Stop The Music[*]Cars Posted Image[*]*Cast Away[*]Caveman's Valentine, The[*]Charlie and the Chocolate Factory[*]Chicken Run[*]Church, The[*]Claim, The[*]Contamination[*]Corpse Bride[*]*Crash - Director's Cut[*]Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, The[*]Day of the Dead[*]Dawn of the Dead[*]Dead & Buried[*]*Devil's Rejects[*]Die Another Day[*]*Digital Video Essentials Posted Image[*]Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition[*]Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights[*]Disturbia Posted Image[*]Doors, The[*]Domino - Platinum Series[*]Dr. Strange[*]Eagle Vs Shark[*]Encounters in the 3rd Dimension - 3D (IMAX)[*]E.T.: The Extraterrestrial[*]Evil Dead, The[*]Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen[*]Face/Off: Special Collector's Edition - BD VERSION - TBA Posted Image[*]Fast Company[*]*Fight Club[*]Final Countdown, The[*]Final Destination 2[*]Final Destination 3: Trill Ride Edition[*]Finding Nemo[*]Fire And Ice[*]Footloose[*]Freddy vs Jason[*]Ghost In The Shell: SE[*]Gladiator[*]God Told Me To[*]Golden Compass, The Posted Image[*]Hairspray (2007) Posted Image[*]Happy Feet[*]Happily N'Ever After[*]Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets Posted Image[*]Harry Potter And The Sorceror's Stone Posted Image[*]Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban Posted Image[*]Haunted Castle - 3D (IMAX)[*]*Haunting, The[*]Highlander[*]Highlander 2: The Quickening[*]Highlander: The Source[*]Hills Have Eyes, The[*]*Hollow Man[*]House of the Dead[*]*House of 1000 Corpses[*]Hot Fuzz Posted Image[*]Hulk[*]Incredibles, The[*]Jurassic Park III[*]King of New York[*]Knockaround Guys, The[*]Lady In The Water Posted Image[*]La Vie En Rose[*]Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III[*]Legend Of Bagger Vance, The[*]Long Past Dead[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, The[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King, The[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The[*]*Lord of War[*]Man Who Fell to Earth, The[*]Maniac[*]Mask, The: Platinum Series[*]Master & Commander: The Far Side of The World[*]Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc[*]Mexican, The[*]Minority Report[*]Mission To Mars[*]Monster's Inc.[*]Monsieur Ibrahim[*]My Brilliant Career[*]Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion[*]Ninja Scroll: 10th Anniversary Special Edition[*]Number 23, The[*]On Golden Pond[*]Open Water[*]Opera[*]Osterman Weekend, The[*]Pan's Labyrinth Posted Image[*]Perfect Storm, The[*]Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl Posted Image[*]Peter Pan[*]Pitch Black[*]*Punch Drunk Love: Superbit Deluxe[*]*Punisher, The[*]Q: The Winged Serpent[*]Rambo - BD VERSION DTS-HD 7.1! - June 27th, 2008 Posted Image[*]Ratatouille Posted Image[*]R-Xmas[*]Ring, The[*]Running Man, The[*]Rush Hour[*]Rush Hour 2[*]Rush Hour 3[*]Say It Isn't So[*]*Saw[*]Saw II Posted Image[*]Secondhand Lions: Platinum Series[*]See Spot Run[*]Se7en: Platinum Series[*]Shawn of the Dead[*]Shoot Em' Up Posted Image[*]Signs[*]S1mone[*]Someone Like You[*]Spy Kids[*]Spooky House[*]StageFright (aka Aquarius)[*]Standing in the Shadows of Motown[*]*Stargate: Ultimate Edition Posted Image[*]Starstruck[*]Star Trek V: The Final Frontier[*]Star Trek: Generations[*]Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country[*]Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace[*]Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones[*]Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith[*]Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope[*]Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back[*]Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi[*]*Stir of Echoes: SE[*]Stunt Man, The[*]Suspiria[*]Terminator[*]**Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Extreme Edition Posted Image[*]Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Ultimate Edition[*]The Texas Chainsaw Massacre[*]Time Bandits[*]Titanic:SCE[*]Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition[*]Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition[*]Toy Story 2[*]Treasure Planet[*]Transporter, The[*]Two Evil Eyes[*]Unbreakable Posted Image[*]Untouchables, The[*]Venom[*]Vigilante[*]Village, The[*]War Posted Image[*]Watcher in the Woods, The[*]We Were Soldiers[*]When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer[*]Willard[*]Winged Migration[*]World Is Not Enough, The[*]X-Men: The Last Stand Posted Image

Posted Image Matrix
    [*]102 Dalmations[*]Alone in the Dark[*]Artificial Intelligence: A.I.[*]Atlantis: The Lost Empire COLLECTOR'S EDITION ONLY![*]Austin Powers in Goldmember[*]Avenging Fist, The (aka Tekken)[*]Bad Taste[*]Beastmaster[*]Bone Collector, The[*]Bones[*]Blade 2[*]Blade: Trinity[*]Butterfly Effect, The[*]Can't Stop The Music[*]*Cast Away[*]Chicken Run[*]Contamination[*]Crank[*]*Crash - Director's Cut[*]Dawn of the Dead[*]Day of the Dead[*]Dead & Buried[*]Decent, The[*]*Delta Farce[*]Devil's Rejects[*]Die Another Day[*]*Digital Video Essentials[*]Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition[*]Doors, The[*]Employee of the Month[*]E.T.: The Extraterrestrial 2-DISC COLLECTOR'S EDITION ONLY![*]Evil Dead, The[*]Face/Off: Special Collector's Edition - BD VERSION - TBA Posted Image[*]Fast Company[*]Final Countdown, The[*]Final Destination 2[*]Final Destination 3: Trill Ride Edition[*]Fire And Ice[*]Ghost In The Shell: SE[*]Gladiator[*]Golden Compass, The[*]God Told Me To[*]*Haunting, The[*]Highlander[*]Hills Have Eyes, The[*]Jurassic Park III[*]Knockaround Guys, The[*]Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III[*]Legend Of Bagger Vance, The[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, The: Director's Cut[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King, The: Director's Cut[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The: Special Extended Edition[*]*Lord of War[*]Man Who Fell to Earth, The[*]Maniac[*]Mask, The: Platinum Series[*]Master & Commander: The Far Side of The World[*]Mexican, The[*]Minority Report[*]My Brilliant Career[*]Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion[*]Ninja Scroll: 10th Anniversary Special Edition[*]Number 23, The[*]Open Water[*]Opera[*]Osterman Weekend, The[*]Pan's Labyrinth[*]Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl[*]Pitch Black[*]*Punch Drunk Love: Superbit Deluxe[*]Q: The Winged Serpent[*]Rambo - BD VERSION DTS-HD 7.1! - June 27th, 2008[*]Resevoir Dogs[*]Running Man, The[*]Running Scared[*]Rush Hour 2[*]Saw[*]Saw II[*]Se7en: Platinum Series[*]S1mone[*]Snakes on a Plane[*]Standing in the Shadows of Motown[*]Stargate: Ultimate Edition[*]Starstruck[*]Stir of Echoes: SE[*]Stunt Man, The[*]Suspiria[*]**Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Ultimate Edition[*]Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The[*]Titanic:SCE[*]Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition[*]Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition[*]Two Evil Eyes[*]Unbreakable[*]Venom[*]Vigilante[*]Watcher in the Woods, The[*]X-Men: The Last Stand

Posted Image Discrete
    [*]Austin Powers in Goldmember[*]Bad Taste[*]Beastmaster[*]Bones[*]Blade 2[*]Blade: Trinity[*]Butterfly Effect, The[*]Can't Stop The Music[*]Chicken Run[*]Contamination[*]Crash - Director's Cut[*]Day of the Dead[*]Dead & Buried[*]Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition[*]Evil Dead, The[*]Fast Company[*]Final Countdown, The[*]Final Destination 2[*]Final Destination 3: Trill Ride Edition[*]Golden Compass, The[*]God Told Me To[*]Gladiator[*]*Haunting, The[*]Highlander[*]Hills Have Eyes, The[*]Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings, The: Director's Cut[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King, The: Director's Cut[*]Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The: Special Extended Edition[*]Man Who Fell to Earth, The[*]Maniac[*]Mask, The: Platinum Series[*]Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion[*]Ninja Scroll: 10th Anniversary Special Edition[*]Number 23, The[*]Open Water[*]Opera[*]Osterman Weekend, The[*]Pan's Labyrinth[*]Q: The Winged Serpent[*]Rambo - BD VERSION DTS-HD 7.1! - June 27th, 2008[*]Running Man, The[*]Running Scared[*]Rush Hour 2[*]Saw[*]Se7en: Platinum Series[*]S1mone[*]Standing in the Shadows of Motown[*]Stargate: Ultimate Edition[*]Stir of Echoes: SE[*]Stunt Man, The[*]Suspiria[*]Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The[*]**Terminator 2: Judgement Day: Ultimate Edition[*]Titanic:SCE[*]Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition[*]Venom[*]Vigilante[*]Watcher in the Woods, The[*]X-Men: The Last Stand

All of the titles are confirmed or referenced from Dolby, THX, DTS, Anchor Bay & Widescreen Review websites (and other sources).

If anyone knows of any changes, deletions or additions, feel free to post them.

Troy

------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

#2 of 813 OFFLINE   PatrickM

PatrickM

Screenwriter

• 1,140 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 08:21 AM

Troy,

Great list. You might want to separate or note the DTS-ES titles that are discrete.

I believe they are the Haunting, Se7en and Gladiator. I can't remember about Chicken Run but Terminator 2 is definitely matrix.

Patrick

------------------
My DVD Collection

#3 of 813 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 08:27 AM

I believe 102 Dalmations, T2, Cast Away, Pitch Black, The Legend of Baggar Vance, and The Bone Collector were DTS-ES matrix.

The Haunting, Chicken Run, Se7en Platinum Edition, and Gladiator are DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 encoded.

The German DVD version of Sleepy Hollow was DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 as well.

Dan

------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

#4 of 813 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 08:42 AM

As far as I know, Dan Hitchman is 100% right! Posted Image

------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#5 of 813 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 08:47 AM

According to SMR Home Theatre , Unbreakable will also be DD Surround EX.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 813 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted May 09 2001 - 12:38 PM

If anyone knows, Id sure appreciate a listing of DTS-ES music titles as well.

------------------
"This is a tasty burger."

"Charlie don't surf."

#7 of 813 OFFLINE   HectorB

HectorB

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 01:14 PM

The packaging on Pitch Black does not indicate it as being DD-EX. Just wondering if you were considering it DD-EX just because it can be played that way, otherwise it shouldn't be on the list. To add to the list the new Die Hard Trilogy is supposed to be have DTS-ES tracks, somebody correct if I am wrong. Toodles!!

#8 of 813 OFFLINE   John O

John O

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 03:33 PM

Pitch Black was an ex release in theaters.

#9 of 813 OFFLINE   Peter_A

Peter_A

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 09 2001 - 06:40 PM

Great list Troy! Gonna have to watch Fight Club again. Not that I mind that at all!

------------------
Peter

"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

#10 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 10 2001 - 01:05 AM

The list has been updated.

Henry,

I didn't even know they made DTS-ES CDs. Check the updates up top.

Hector,

Yep, Pitch Black is EX. Verified through multiple sources. We all know how the manufacturers screw up the labeling on a lot of DVD packaging, don't we? Posted Image I haven't seen anything official on the Die Hard Trilogy as of yet. I'll add that to the list when it's official.

Troy

------------------

#11 of 813 OFFLINE   HectorB

HectorB

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 10 2001 - 09:47 AM

Cool, I guess I didn't notice because I always play Pitch Black in DTS. Or is it also possible to decode the DTS track to a DTS-ES Matrix?? Thanks for any answers. Posted Image

#12 of 813 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted May 10 2001 - 10:47 AM

Pitch Black has a DTS-ES matrix track. Set it to 6.1 matrix decoding (or DTS-ES matrix if you have it) on your processor and you're set!

If you mean decoding any active 5.1 and 5.0 DTS soundtrack with DTS-ES matrix or plain 6.1 matrix technology, yes it is possible. Your mileage will vary, however depending on how they were mixed in the rear surround channels.

Dan

------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

#13 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 11 2001 - 05:00 AM

Hector,

What kind of receiver, pre/pro are you using?

Troy

------------------

#14 of 813 OFFLINE   Michael Shannon

Michael Shannon

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 11 2001 - 05:41 AM

Message deleted Mission to Mars is listed

------------------
View MShannon's DVD Collection
If You Want "The Five Heartbeats" Go Here:
http://www.hometheat....ML/001946.html

Petition for Eddie Murphy Films GO HERE:
http://www.hometheat....ML/002420.html

View MShannon's DVD Collection
If You Want "The Five Heartbeats" Go Here:
http://www.hometheat...TML/001946.html

Petition for Eddie Murphy Films GO HERE:http://www.hometheat...TML/002420.html

#15 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 14 2001 - 05:32 AM

The old "Bump" manuever has been executed!

Troy

------------------

#16 of 813 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 14 2001 - 10:40 AM

Maybe the admins should create a link to this thread as the list will grow.
Or create a master list and put a"clicker" on top of the software page,so when some one click on it it will take him to the current updated list.
But someone should maintain it most of the time.
Are you up to it Troy?
Just a suggestion. Posted Image

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

#17 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 15 2001 - 12:45 AM

Lewis,

I could most definitely do that. Posted Image

Moderators?

I don't see the Die Hard Trilogy being listed with DTS-ES anywhere. I guess that was just a rumor...

Troy

------------------

#18 of 813 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 16 2001 - 04:39 AM

Boom Baby...

------------------

#19 of 813 OFFLINE   Perry Sun

Perry Sun

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 17 2001 - 01:56 AM

I admit that this will confuse the situation, but in regards to the DTS-ES matrix titles listed, except for those that are also DTS-ES discrete, these titles generally have actually originated from the same six-track, Surround EX-encoded printmaster as for the Dolby Digital version.

In other words, there isn't necessarily a special DTS-ES Matrix encoding for these, but with (at least) some of these titles a flag has been inserted into the DTS bitstream which certain decoders (DTS-ES, THX Surround EX or equivalent) can detect and automatically decode in DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, THX Surround EX, etc.

This is also true of theatrical releases that DTS denotes as DTS-ES on their release listings, for which the audio is actually Surround EX-encoded, but the serial number for the DTS CD-ROMs that is read by the cinema processor (beginning with 5000, I think) can be used to trigger the DTS-ES cinema decoder.

------------------
Movie Sound Editor,
Widescreen Review www.widescreenreview.com
Managing Editor,
Widescreen Review
www.widescreenreview.com

#20 of 813 OFFLINE   Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted May 17 2001 - 06:40 AM

Add The Astronaut's Wife. Confirmed from Dolby's web site. I thought "Fallen" was in EX but I can't find any info.

Chris
Chris Madalena

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users