What's new

my 4th annual dead men don't wear plaid question (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I ask this about once a year, and it appears that hardly anyone has seen this film, so I never get an answer, but maybe a new member will know.

I have a vivid recollection of watching this and there being a scene with Steve Martin in a car at a gas station talking to Burt Lancaster while he washes the windshield. This is taken from the movie the Killers. However, on the dvd, this scene is missing.

So, my question is

a) does anybody else remember this scene?

b) does anyone know why it's not on the dvd? (it can't be rights issues, since there are other scenes with Burt Lancaster from the Killers still on the dvd)

c) does anyone by any miracle have a vhs or other version of this film with the missing scene?

Thanks.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I've actually seen the film many times, including in a theater, but have no recollection of such a scene.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, the tv deleted scenes (which I've never seen) are definitely not what I'm thinking of.

I just watched this again tonight, and not only is my memory of this very vivid, but it's pretty clear from the dialogue that it was included.

Basically Juliet is telling Rigby about Swede Andersen and Kitty Collins, and says she's a nightclub singer and he's works in a gas station. Now there's really no reason for her to say that about Swede except that in the next scene (which is now missing), he stops at the gas station and talks to Swede while he does the windshield (in a scene from the Killers). Then he drives on to the nightclub where Kitty work, which is where the current dvd resumes.

On the one hand, I'm certain I saw this scene, and even rented it with it on it (though this was years ago - the more recent vhs tapes I've seen in video stores all have a newer vintage with a run time of 1:29, instead of the 1:30 on the older tapes).

Unfortunately everyone else is like Chad with no recollection of this whatsoever. So maybe I am just nuts, but I'll probably keep asking once a year in hopes of finding someone else who remembers this scene.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i saw it at the movies but it was solong ago that i just cant remember. sorry.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
That scene sounds very familiar to me. I have the movie on VHS that I've had for years, but my VCR isn't hooked up so I can't check it. Sorry, George.

Rob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what happened to rob and william.

anyway it was on tcm last night. george did you catch it?
i dvr'd it but havent watched it yet.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, I didn't, and it's likely that TCM has a newer, cut print. It is too bad that Rob & William never got back to us. Oh well.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Sorry, guys, I wasn't ignoring you. I didn't get back because I've still never hooked up my VCR. My VHS days are long since passed. I'll check over the weekend to see if I can check it somehow.

Rob

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, it's far too long for that. Steve Martin has a largely one way conversation with Lancaster as he just cleans the windshield and looks at him. Also, to double-check I just watched the trailer, and it's not in there.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
When this movie came out, I remember a lot of "making of" and behind the scenes stuff that might have been shown on HBO or something like that. I remember that they highlighted the mixing of new footage with the old movie footage, and showed how they recreated the props and sets. Maybe your missing Lancaster scene was shown this way.

Great movie, by the way-- very underappreciated.

"What's F.O.C.?"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"but what does FOC mean?"

"it's a slang word. it's when a man and a woamen are in love, a man puts his....."
"no, no, written here f.o.c."

"oh, unless i miss my guess, that stands for friends of carlotta."

Rachel Ward was such a beautiful woman.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I realize the limitations of memory, but in this case I really think this is from the movie as originally released and not from my mixing it up with another film, or some extraneous footage. I saw this in the theater, but I also rented it a few times on vhs and the scene was there each time. And then I rented it once and was jolted by that scene being missing on what I surmise is a later version of the vhs. And this scene just fits in to well to be a figment of my imagination. There is dialogue both before and after this scene that fits.

I also notice that there are vhs tapes on sale on some websites that list the film at 1:31, instead of the 1:29 on the dvd. This further leads me to believe that the longer version exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks