Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Dick Tracy Cartoon Show

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 01:57 AM

Does anyone know who holds license over this 1960 series w/ such prominent vocal talents as Mel Blanc, Paul Frees & June Forray?

I believe it was produced by UPA, would Columbia own the rights?

What are the chances of ever seeing this remastered and released to DVD in the near future?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:21 AM

I have no idea, but I have to jump in and say that the opening credits sequence for this series is one of the best of any series ever, cartoon, live action, anything. Or maybe that's just the way I'm remembering it Posted Image

Also gotta love a character named "Joe Jitsu" --- or is this now politically incorrect ???

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 09:13 AM

I know that Henry Saperstein, who owned the company, passed away a few years ago and they were selling off their properties. Don't know who bought this show tho. I do remember when it was re-syndicated in the early 90s to cash in on the movie stations received complaints and they yanked the Joe Jitsu and Go Go Gomez cartoons.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 09:26 AM

"I do remember when it was re-syndicated in the early 90s to cash in on the movie stations received complaints and they yanked the Joe Jitsu and Go Go Gomez cartoons."

Apparently Heap O'Calorie doesn't offend fat irish cops! Posted Image I'd buy the complete set of this classic cartoon in an instant if it were ever to come out on DVD. I know a Japanese laserdisc set exists which was beautifully mastered from the original 35mm souce material. Unfortunately it has Japanese subtitles, instead of using both tracks to include the Japanese and English original. I always find it funny that in the U.S. political correctness forced them to shut down the Joe Jitsu episodes, yet in Japan they liked him so much that they released the entire show on LD!
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 12:50 PM

Was it the whole series? There were 130 cartoons running 5 minutes each so that would be about 11 hours worth of cartoons. Hey, that would make a nice box set over here, wouldn't it?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 04:01 PM

Does anyone know who holds license over this 1960 series w/ such prominent vocal talents as Mel Blanc, Paul Frees & June Forray? I believe it was produced by UPA, would Columbia own the rights? What are the chances of ever seeing this remastered and released to DVD in the near future?

A company called Classic Media now owns the rights to the series, along with other classic cartoons like Mr. Magoo, Rocky & Bullwinkle, etc. and live-action classics like The Lone Ranger and Lassie.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 04:04 PM

I bought a 96-cent cheapie DVD at Walmart titled The Best Of Dick Tracy, Vol. 1, from Genius Entertainment and Classic Media, and released by TGG. They had a bunch of cheapie DVDs they put out for the holiday shopping season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users