Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sahara

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 03:55 PM

Just curious if anyone knew much about this film. First of all, when is it being released? I've heard both Winter and Summer of this year.
Thanks

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 04:00 PM

IMDB is your friend:
http://imdb.com/titl...649/releaseinfo

Australia: 25 November 2004
France: 8 December 2004
UK: 10 December 2004
Belgium: 22 December 2004

Searching for a treasure on the Nile, Dirk Pitt thwarts the attempted assassination of a beautiful U.N. scientist investigating a disease that is driving thousands of North Africans into madness, cannibalism, and death. The suspected cause of the raging epidemic is vast, unprecedented pollution that threatens to extinguish all life in the world's seas. Racing to save the world from environmental catastrophe, Pitt and his team, equipped with an extraordinary, state-of-the-art yacht, run a gauntlet between a billionaire industrialist and a bloodthirsty West African tyrant. In the scorching desert, Pitt finds a gold mine manned by slaves and uncovers the truth behind two enduring mysteries -- the fate of a Civil War ironclad and its secret connection with Lincoln's assassination, and the last flight of a long-lost female pilot....Now, amidst the blazing, shifting sands of the Sahara, Dirk Pitt will make a desperate stand -- in a battle the world cannot afford to lose!

I had not heard about this movie before--it sounds awful.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 04:25 PM

On the other hand, you can go buy a dvd of the Humphrey Bogart film Sahara (1943) which is a very good film. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 05:16 PM

Ya, I read the imdb listing, but also dark horizons just posted paramounts summer movies previews with it in it. That's why I'm asking.
Thanks

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Jonathan White

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 05:52 PM

Hasn't the production hit some problems? I heard that they filmed the intro, which is always set in the past and sets up the story in the present and that was it. Clive Cussler had problems with it and this brought production to a halt. Apparently they changed his story too much and he pulled the plug. Sorry don't have any links.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   john aprile

john aprile

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 10:23 PM

Bogart for sure Posted Image

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 01:56 AM

I've been waiting for an adaptation of one of Clive Cussler's books for a long time (Raise the Titanic doesn't count). I don't read them anymore since the books have become a bit too formulaic but they should make great summer blockbuster fare. That said, I was a lot more interested in this movie when it was being directed by Rob Bowman. I'm not really familiar with the new director, Breck Eisner.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, you can go buy a dvd of the Humphrey Bogart film Sahara (1943) which is a very good film.

George beat me to it....
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
the books have become a bit too formulaic

They sure have. I read Atlantis Found a few months ago and kept thinking it felt like I was reading a summer action movie--paper thin characters, big action set pieces, etc. Not good.

Cussler had been saying for years that Hollywood wouldn't do justice to his Pitt books.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:43 AM

They sure have. I read Atlantis Found a few months ago and kept thinking it felt like I was reading a summer action movie--paper thin characters, big action set pieces, etc. Not good.

That was the one that killed it for me too. Cussler's unique blend of maritime history and modern day threats makes for a wonderful combination. The characters are fine for the first several novels that you read-clearly drawn, witty, and a lot of fun. Its just after a while and you realize that he's using the same jokes, same action scenes, and the same plotlines that it becomes so boring. I don't know how many times I could read descriptions of Sandecker's bantam chest, Giordano's swarthy nature, or Pitt's piercing blue eyes with a hint of cruelty....

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:08 AM

Sheesh, 10 posts and no mention of Greg's Preview page on Sahara Posted Image:

http://movies.yahoo....v&id=1808405735

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Pitt's piercing blue eyes

Kevin, how could you! Everyone knows Pitt's eyes are opaline green. Posted Image

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:27 AM

William H. Macy's in it? Sandecker!

I have bad feelings about this movie. Mostly due to the creative differences between Cussler and the writers, as well as questionable casting.

I mean c'mon. Steve Zahn as Giordino?!

For the record, Cussler's books are a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes, they're formulaic, but they're fun stuff.
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection
Charter Member of the HTF San Diego Chargers Fan Club. Hop on the Boltwagon!

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:36 AM

This may be of interest of those who are looking forward to the movie:
http://www.raisethet....tion_news.html

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 12:34 AM

Is this how any of you all thought Dirk Pitt would look on screen... if you ask me, Richard Jordon was closer than this:

From Aint it Cool

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Absolutely.

--
H

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 06:26 AM

Is this how any of you all thought Dirk Pitt would look on screen... if you ask me, Richard Jordon was closer than this:

Yeah, I can't see Pitt being "scruffy" and long-haired like that unless he was in some sort of disguise. Looks like he might be a surfer dude instead of a classic car collector. Plus, I don't see Pitt giving a snarl like that. A sardonic leer or a sarcastic smirk, yes, but a sneer?

I think Burt Lancaster in his prime would have made a great Dirk Pitt. Originally, I thought that McConnnannnahay (I just don't know how to spell it, so I try to make it funny) would too, but after seeing those pictures, I'm not so sure.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 04:58 AM

Release Date has been set

It's being pushed back to March 2005. I dunno. Doesn't look like a good sign. As an Cussler fanatic, I hope it's not too big of a dud...
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 04:58 AM

Release Date has been set

It's being pushed back to March 2005. I dunno. Doesn't look like a good sign. As an Cussler fanatic, I hope it's not too big of a dud...
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow