What's new

Sahara (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Just curious if anyone knew much about this film. First of all, when is it being released? I've heard both Winter and Summer of this year.
Thanks

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, you can go buy a dvd of the Humphrey Bogart film Sahara (1943) which is a very good film. :)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Ya, I read the imdb listing, but also dark horizons just posted paramounts summer movies previews with it in it. That's why I'm asking.
Thanks

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Hasn't the production hit some problems? I heard that they filmed the intro, which is always set in the past and sets up the story in the present and that was it. Clive Cussler had problems with it and this brought production to a halt. Apparently they changed his story too much and he pulled the plug. Sorry don't have any links.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for an adaptation of one of Clive Cussler's books for a long time (Raise the Titanic doesn't count). I don't read them anymore since the books have become a bit too formulaic but they should make great summer blockbuster fare. That said, I was a lot more interested in this movie when it was being directed by Rob Bowman. I'm not really familiar with the new director, Breck Eisner.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

They sure have. I read Atlantis Found a few months ago and kept thinking it felt like I was reading a summer action movie--paper thin characters, big action set pieces, etc. Not good.

Cussler had been saying for years that Hollywood wouldn't do justice to his Pitt books.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

That was the one that killed it for me too. Cussler's unique blend of maritime history and modern day threats makes for a wonderful combination. The characters are fine for the first several novels that you read-clearly drawn, witty, and a lot of fun. Its just after a while and you realize that he's using the same jokes, same action scenes, and the same plotlines that it becomes so boring. I don't know how many times I could read descriptions of Sandecker's bantam chest, Giordano's swarthy nature, or Pitt's piercing blue eyes with a hint of cruelty....

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
William H. Macy's in it? Sandecker!

I have bad feelings about this movie. Mostly due to the creative differences between Cussler and the writers, as well as questionable casting.

I mean c'mon. Steve Zahn as Giordino?!

For the record, Cussler's books are a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes, they're formulaic, but they're fun stuff.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

Yeah, I can't see Pitt being "scruffy" and long-haired like that unless he was in some sort of disguise. Looks like he might be a surfer dude instead of a classic car collector. Plus, I don't see Pitt giving a snarl like that. A sardonic leer or a sarcastic smirk, yes, but a sneer?

I think Burt Lancaster in his prime would have made a great Dirk Pitt. Originally, I thought that McConnnannnahay (I just don't know how to spell it, so I try to make it funny) would too, but after seeing those pictures, I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks