Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hitchcock releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 09:49 AM

I read that Wb had some Hitch films in the works for this year, but don't know which ones... Anyone know? I would like to fill in the gaps of the missing 40s and early 50s ones like Lifeboat, I Confess, and Dial M...

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 01 2004 - 10:09 AM

Lifeboat is a Fox property that will probably be a Studio Classics release late this year.

Warner's 7-film box set should be:

Dial M for Murder
Foreign Correspondent
I Confess
Suspicion
Stage Fright
The Wrong Man
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   MichaelO

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 02:24 AM

Didn't they also mention that they were remastering Strangers on a Train?

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:52 AM

Michael:

I believe that is a yes. It may/will be eventually rereleased as part of the 2disc series.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   MichaelO

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:37 AM

Matt, thanks...that sounds pretty dang good, I have always been pretty fond of that particular Hitch movie.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Brandon - that's exactly what I was wondering about. I thought for sure I remember Dial M out on disc, but for whatever reason didn't buy it at the time. I down Strangers on a Train, but haven't seen it in stores for a while. That disc has the US and British versions (sides A & B).

Also does anyone here have one of the old Hitch collections - the 20s and 30s films? - I have all of the Criterion ones available, but the others have cheap packagin and I dont know a lot about the companies releasing them to know if they are worth it.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 02 2004 - 06:37 AM

The PD ones vary in quality from bad to slightly less bad, with the Laserlights usually being the best of a bad lot. Their status as PD titles is also questionable. I am crossing my fingers and hoping Criterion gets around to doing "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "Young and Innocent", "Blackmail", "The Lodger", and "Sabotage", if not all of them.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 02 2004 - 07:18 AM

RE: Strangers on a Train

They did say they were remastering it, but they also said that it wouldn't be released until at least 2005, which means it is not part of the 7-film set coming out this Fall.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 11:13 AM

Albert -

I just got a German DVD set of some early Hitchcock films:

http://www.amazon.de....321772-4885608[/url]

I haven't watched it yet, but I think it's supposed to be considerably better than the other packages of early Hitch.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Ali B

Ali B

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 11:08 AM

A few of the early Hitchcocks are available from Carlton in the UK. Their discs are generally pretty good, and includes the British Man Who Knew Too Much amongst others.

I'd be interested to see how the Warner's titles come out. Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion and Mr. and Mrs. Smith have all been released in Europe by Universal as part of their Hitchcock range. The transfers are up to the standard of the rest of the series, ie pretty good. They are bare bones releases though, so maybe Warners will come up with some nice bonus material.

ali

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 02:01 PM

It [Strangers] may/will be eventually rereleased as part of the 2disc series.

I can't imagine that there will be enough supplements to warrant a second disc. Hopefully both the UK and US versions will be included using branching.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 05 2004 - 04:34 AM

Well, just to replicate the content of the current disc, they are talking about 204 minutes to cover both versions of the film. Add a documentary and any other supplements, and a two disc set with at least one RSDL disc makes sense.

I don't think WB has authored a disc that uses branching yet.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 05:59 AM

I don't think WB has authored a disc that uses branching yet.

I was suggesting that they should, which would make the most sense considering the differences between the two cuts amounts to about 2 minutes.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Sergio Angelini

Sergio Angelini

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 10:48 AM

Actually, the region 2 releases of FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, SUSPICION and MR AND MRS SMITH and actyally fairly weak - CORRESPONDENT is acceptable, but is in now way anything other than average - SMITH is pretty washed out and SUSPICION is sort of OK, except that a - gulp - "colorized" version is included.

On the Macguffin site they are saying that Laurent Bouzerau is doing the extras, which I haven't heard anywhere else - hope it's true!

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 03:47 PM

On the Macguffin site they are saying that Laurent Bouzerau is doing the extras, which I haven't heard anywhere else - hope it's true!

Only if WB would let him redo the extras for NxNw.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection