What's new

rediscovered BOTTLE ROCKET last night (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i've been a fan of this movie since i saw it in the theatres (i actually like it more than rushmore)...but for some reason i hadn't watched it on dvd in a while and didn't realize it was 16:9 and in 5.1....i could have sworn it was a 2.0 non-anamorphic!
it was a real pleasant surprise to see just how well this transfer stands up to recent big-budget dvd's. Here's a low budget film that had a dvd release pretty early on, before a lot of kinks with compression/etc. were worked out, and it looks BETTER than most dvd's released nowadays. There is NO noticeable edge enhancement, and the level of fine detail (even in the backgrounds!) far surpasses what i've seen in a lot of new dvd's.
why can't all dvd's look like this?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i know what you're saying, man. i particularly like how well the "don't call her the housekeeper" scene looked. i love this movie, and i'm hoping that if royal tenenbaums is a hit this winter, they'll consider rereleasing wes anderson's freshman effort with possibly a commentary by himself and owen wilson, trailer, documentary maybe and the original 15 minute short...but yea, getting back on topic, the video and the audio are top notch for this great little movie, one of my personal favorites.
icon14.gif

------------------
signature.jpg

[email protected]

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should say that. I had been holding purchase of Bottle Rocket because I was sure TRT would prompt a new disc. But it sounds as though the original disc is worth getting anyway.
Thanks for rekindling my interest!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this is a great flick!
i love the scene where owen wilson is getting beat up in the bar and he's yelling his signal call or whatever it is...
"Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw!" but the other guy completely blows him off.
talk about comedy!
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Last year, I was in a phase where I watched Bottle Rocket twice a day...I couldn't get enough, and I still can't...one hell of a movie.
"Okay. There, you see the star is me, right there, and I'll be in there. The X is Anthony. Bob, you're the zero out here in the car."

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
After reading all of these positive comments, I've decided that I need to give this movie another viewing. I screened it a few years ago and I really didn't care for it. My initial impression was that the movie was flat, although there were some good performances.
My favorite director, Martin Scorsese, listed it in his top 10 films of the '90s, so there must be something that I missed in my first viewing.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on November 11, 2001 at 10:13 AM]

darrin

Stunt Coordinator
What a coincidence. I just popped this in my player the
other day. I love this movie and haven't watched it in a
while. Very underrated film. Funny stuff!!!!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
This is a great little movie, and the transfer does hold up very well!
I never heard that Scorsese liked this movie so much! Glad to hear it! Like the original poster, I also liked it better than Rushmore. Good comparison because it is similar type of humor.

mike caronia

Second Unit

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
My favorite director, Martin Scorsese, listed it in his top 10 films of the '90s, so there must be something that I missed in my first viewing.
Just because a well-known director liked a certain film doesn't mean it will appeal to everyone else. Scorsese also liked The Red Shoes. I'll leave it at that. :)
As far as Bottle Rocket, while I did like it, it wasn't at all that compelling.
~Edwin

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, man. Bottle Rocket was the last LD I bought before going to DVD. I've held out upgrading since I kind of hope a fancier edition will come out. It's so great, as is Rushmore. The Royal Tennenbaums is going to be a masterpiece. There's a nice article on it in Film Comment right now.
------------------
My DVD Reviews
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
okay, someone had to ask again, it's been a while...what happened to that rumored criterion disc? are we still getting it? do you guys remember the wes anderson interview where he said they were working on it?

Han

Second Unit
Okay, I have Bottle Rocket, Criterion Rushmore, liked them both, will get the Criterion Royal Tennenbaums. But, I have to ask... What is it about Wes Anderson and those first two movies that makes him/them darlings of critics and fans? I wasn't blown away by them or anything. What am I missing?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Han

Well, and this is just from one fan's perspective, I find the films to be so good because they represent the kind of filmmaking that I wish we could see more of. They're comedies that aren't restricted from giving real drama. They're not restricted in the least by their budget. They have acting performances that are often considered the best form some have ever been in (namely Bill Murray for Rushmore and Gene Hackman for Tenenbaums). They have a great deal of depth to them, both in terms of theme and dialogue, which is why I suspect so many people grow to love them after repeat viewings. Also, the perfect integration of music into them has just about no parallel (outside of musicals and films with original music like Hedwig and the Angry Inch).

I think they're works of art that take time to set in. But that's just me.

MatS

Screenwriter
finally got around to this a couple nights ago for the first time. Not as good as Rushmore but much better than TRT.
I too would love to see this re-released by Criterion
"Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw!" :emoji_thumbsup:

MatS

Screenwriter
Saw that this dvd is now $14.99 at retail...thought I was getting a deal but from the looks online the MSRP was reduced recently.

Great deal at this price but I really want to hold out if a Criterion edition is coming some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks