Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The future of Component 1080i inputs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,308 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 02:37 AM

With the aabbouncement yesterday that Columbia is looking to support Bluray, and with the others going to WMV as the hidef format, I'm wondering if my sets which only have a 1080i component in will be supported. My Mits Widescreen and my Samsung 30" tube WS set were bought before DVI was the norm. I'm wondering if they'll be some sort of adapter made for those of us that do not hat DVI ports on our Hidef set?
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 01 2004 - 03:42 AM

Greetings There will always be adaptors available. Besides, no one has announced that they are phasing out component HD anyway so why worry? REgards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 07:40 AM

It would be similar to getting rid of s-video altogether. There may be something better but the "backwards" compatability will remain.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 11:27 AM

It's unclear yet. HDCP is still all up in the air.

The whole thing is that to keep the data "secure" any conversion to analog must occur within a set. So it is unclear whether there will be any outboard units that will output analog high-def material from HDCP sources legally.

Any such inputs or new modifications to existing sets sound like they need to be very set-specific. Hard to predict how it will play out...

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if it was locked into HDCP protected devices only. Which sucks for us CRTers. But there there is demand.... Posted Image

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   nick_rh

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 12:49 PM

I doubt it will be a problem. The players will never sell if they can't output HD video to the majority of HD sets. Right now the majority of HD sets in homes probably don't have DVI or HDMI, and that will likely still be the case when the players come out. I don't see how they can market these to the tiny select group of consumers that have HDCP-capable sets. (And frankly, they should just accept that whatever copy-protection system they work out will be defeated by a 16-year old within a month.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users