What's new

The future of Component 1080i inputs (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
With the aabbouncement yesterday that Columbia is looking to support Bluray, and with the others going to WMV as the hidef format, I'm wondering if my sets which only have a 1080i component in will be supported. My Mits Widescreen and my Samsung 30" tube WS set were bought before DVI was the norm. I'm wondering if they'll be some sort of adapter made for those of us that do not hat DVI ports on our Hidef set?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There will always be adaptors available. Besides, no one has announced that they are phasing out component HD anyway so why worry?

REgards

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It would be similar to getting rid of s-video altogether. There may be something better but the "backwards" compatability will remain.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's unclear yet. HDCP is still all up in the air.

The whole thing is that to keep the data "secure" any conversion to analog must occur within a set. So it is unclear whether there will be any outboard units that will output analog high-def material from HDCP sources legally.

Any such inputs or new modifications to existing sets sound like they need to be very set-specific. Hard to predict how it will play out...

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if it was locked into HDCP protected devices only. Which sucks for us CRTers. But there there is demand.... ;)

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt it will be a problem. The players will never sell if they can't output HD video to the majority of HD sets. Right now the majority of HD sets in homes probably don't have DVI or HDMI, and that will likely still be the case when the players come out. I don't see how they can market these to the tiny select group of consumers that have HDCP-capable sets. (And frankly, they should just accept that whatever copy-protection system they work out will be defeated by a 16-year old within a month.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks