-

Photo
- - - - -

"Simpsons" stars in work stoppage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#1 of 86 Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 01:44 AM

I really hope this is a joke. Posted Image

The actors who provide the voices for the cartoon characters on the long-running TV show "The Simpsons" have stopped work in a bid to force a settlement of lengthy contract renewal talks, Daily Variety reported in its Thursday edition.

Cnn.com article: Simpsons stars in work stoppage

#2 of 86 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 02:20 AM

Part of me says they deserve it (even though the show is past its prime and the money should be considered for the past work), and part of me says that the way the current season is looking, I probably wouldn't miss them.
I don't like SPAM!

#3 of 86 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 03:56 AM

If you consider the amount of work they have to put in for the return they're getting, they appear to be losing sight of reality.

#4 of 86 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 06:21 AM

there's no sense in trying to quantify "what they deserve"... it's all about what they can get away with extracting from the people what give them their paycheques. i hope that doesn't sound bad, but that's business.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#5 of 86 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
If you consider the amount of work they have to put in for the return they're getting, they appear to be losing sight of reality.
It's about what the market will bear, not what other people think they deserve. With the amount of money Fox makes on The Simpsons, the market can certainly bear giving them a raise.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 86 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,218 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, this is not the first time this has happened. A lot of the stars of successful shows hold out at renegotition time.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 86 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 07:29 AM

I think they deserve more money. Look how much live action actors are making. Yeah, its voice talent, but the voice makes up half the character.

#8 of 86 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 08:21 AM

I think its time to put the Simpsons to rest.

Ive only enjoyed a handful of episodes the past 4 or 5 years.

#9 of 86 Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 09:31 AM

I think these people deserve it. They are a major part of the success of this show. Their pay should be based on their contribution to the success of the show, and not on how much time it takes them. Fox puts very little into the show and gets a great return on it, the voice actors, as well as the writers and other key staff, deserve a fair chunk of that. I also hope they get a fair share of the syndicated profits as well as the DVDs. I don't think I would enjoy the show very much if they changed actors at this point, I just don't think it could work.

Of course, I think this could hurt the chances for the show carrying on much longer. I too feel that it's gone downhill the past few seasons.

#10 of 86 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 09:32 AM

They've talked about chalenging Gun Smoke for the number of seasons and episodes, but IMO its time for the First Family of Springfield to ride off in to the sunset and make a movie or 2 on the way out.

I do however, believe the acters deserve more money.

#11 of 86 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 11:29 AM

I think Fox should let them walk and hire replacements.

All the worthwhile writing talent was replaced by third-rate charlatans many seasons ago. I don't see why a completely new cast won't do just fine.

#12 of 86 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted April 01 2004 - 09:26 PM

While they're at it, get some new writers who remember what the show is about... a family who dealt with realistic problems. Remember the Christmas episode? When they were broke? Genius. Now it's just a fantasy. You would think that recording the commentaries for the old episodes would have showed the creators just how far they've strayed, and not in a good way, but that just hasn't happened.

#13 of 86 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 01:47 AM

New voice actors?

Reminds me of the episode where Mr. Burns adopts Bart, and they watch the fake family on closed circuit TV:

"I do not miss Bart at all."

"Duh - oh!"

That's them, all right...
I don't like SPAM!

#14 of 86 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 03:10 AM

I guess I'm the only one here who feels it would be a disaster to replace them and that I'll miss the show immensely if it's cancelled. It's still better than all other sitcoms currently on the air.

That said, I think $125K per episode should make anyone happy, especially when it's voicework only. They get per episode what it takes most people several years to earn, and good for them. To not be satisfied with that is shameful. That might not be the right way to look at it, but that's how I see it...

/Mike
/Mike

#15 of 86 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:18 AM

Well, my understanding is that their last agreement ran out some time ago, and they are doing this to help jumpstart getting a new agreement.

As others have said, what you get paid is often what you can get, and not always what you deserve.

Jason

#16 of 86 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 05:27 AM

Replacing them is not that simple, especially since Hank Azaria, Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellenata and Harry Shearer do so many characters, there's no way they can find replacements for all the characters. Plus they know the show has been ingrained for 15 years with the same voices. If they start to change, then they will alienate the audiences. If Rupert Murdoch cuts these guys loose, then they may as well chuck the show. I know its gone downhill of late, but it's still far better than any other 30 min sitcom out there. Even Malcom in the Middle has gone downhill.

Fox can make this choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if viewers abandoned them if the Simpson voices are replaced or the show gets cancelled.

#17 of 86 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 07:09 AM

I say let 'em walk. They are asking for over 300,000 per episode, rather than the 125,000 they currently make. Sickens me.

#18 of 86 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
They are asking for over 300,000 per episode, rather than the 125,000 they currently make. Sickens me.
Why? What the hell do you care how much money someone else makes? Besides, if News Corp is making enough money per episode to afford giving the talent said salary, would you rather that the money go to the voice actors or some middle-management guy at the Fox network?
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#19 of 86 Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 07:50 AM

I'm sure they'll get paid. I don't think personally they deserve it. But they have the right to demand whatever they want.

I think the show is WAY past it's prime - but whatever, people still like it, so it's important to Fox to keep it alive I guess.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#20 of 86 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 08:59 AM

I will stop watching this show if the main actors leave. It will be just too distracting to hear different voices.

Maude anyone?
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

Forum Nav Content I Follow