Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hyphenated names--they must be stopped

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 of 91 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:04 PM

Forget about the Gay Marriage Amendment. We should stop people from getting married and having kids if they are going to hyphenate the last names of the kids. This is just going crazy.

OK, when women started doing it, I thought, "Fine with me if they want to get carpal tunnel syndrome signing their checks 'Jennifer Hossenfeffer-Krzyzewski.'" I understand the various reasons for it. However, it has always been a personal choice.

Now, I'm hearing about more couples adopting the hyphenated surname for both husband and wife which leads to their kids having hyphenated names too. We all know how big kids write on that elementary school lined paper. They'll need a whole separate page just for their name when they do homework. Do you know how many more trees that would kill?

More importantly: What happens when those kids grow up and get married to another person with a hyphenated lastname? Do we link all four last names with hyphens? Where does the madness end?

We need to band together and stop parents from giving kids hyphenated surnames.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#2 of 91 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:16 PM

I once came across a fellow who had incorporated his (by then ex) wife's surname into his: we all knew him as Tony Green, one fine day there was reference to Tony xxxx-Green and we were all wondering, then he explained that xxxx was his ex-wife's surname (obviously not xxxx but I don't know if he'd want me mentioning all this on an internet website Posted Image )

And before any of you guys start wondering about my name, my surname is Lim, "Yee Ming" is my given name and I only hyphenated it so you fellows don't get the idea my surname is "Ming" or call me just "Yee"; but that still happens...

#3 of 91 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:25 PM

This is a great idea, I'm all for this. I also take a promise that I will not be hyphonating my last name in the event of marriage, my last name is 10 letters long and that's way too many when trying to write out a check, so I will not be seaking to lengthen it with my future wife's sir name.

#4 of 91 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:48 PM

i'm sure the first thing that many of us will think of when reading this thread is george carlin.

spoilerized for george carlin's foul mouth Posted Image
hey lady, PICK a FUCKin name, would you please? "hi, i'm emily jericho-fortesque" "hi i'm george jackmeoff-fuckyoutoo"

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#5 of 91 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 09:02 PM

Down here everyone bears both parents' surnames. We don't hyphenate them, though. And for just about all purposes (save official documents), you can use just one if you prefer.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#6 of 91 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted April 01 2004 - 12:16 AM

Ricardo,

It's a south american thing. My mexican girlfriend uses her full name, Rita Nicole Alexandra Garcia Medina, with Medina being her father's name and Garcia her mothers.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool, to recognize both parents, but I would never go by Justin Schoenbeck Cleveland.

#7 of 91 OFFLINE   Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 12:49 AM

My wife's parents gave their daughters only a first and last name so that when they got married they could keep their family name as a middle name and add on their husband's name for a last name, with no hyphen.

#8 of 91 OFFLINE   David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 01:23 AM

My last is two words. Brown Eyes, not hyphenated. I once worked a 6 month contract with a company that used Lotus Notes for email.

The tech department decided all on their own that I would only accept an email address of.

David.Brown Eyes@XXXXX.com

It took them over a week to get email working agian Posted Image

Before the no call list I could identify telemarketers imediately becuase they always asked for Mr. Eyes Posted Image

#9 of 91 OFFLINE   Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 02:45 AM

I too have casually wondered about people with hyphenated names marrying other people with hyphenated names.

What is the purpose of the hyphen anyway? What's wrong with just adding more names to the name? Take, for example, two members of our last two first families. We had Hillary Rodham Clinton. No hyphen necessary. And George Walker Bush. Again, no hyphen necessary. Maybe it's only the 'commoners' who feel the need to add the hyphen, while the American nobility are too sophisticated to add extra punctiation to their names.

I like the way people from Mexico and further south create their names.

Leo Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez Hinze

#10 of 91 OFFLINE   KerryK

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 05:23 AM

I'm going to avoid the hyphen and I'm not going to change my name if I get married. I'm now 32, it's been my name for a long time. I like it. (Besides, it's one of those horrible silent lettered east european last names and I have to spell enough letters already!)

#11 of 91 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 06:13 AM

I agree with the sentiments expressed here against the eternal compounding of surnames. In many ways, it seems so pretentious, and some of the products are nigh unpronounceable.

A Brit will correct me, if I'm wrong, but it started off in Britain with the purpose of showing off affiliation to some nobility by bastard children. That's why the "hyphen" was originally named bar sinister.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#12 of 91 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 08:03 AM

I wonder if there's many people out there with a surname of Hyphen, who then, hyphenate their name.

hmmmmm...
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#13 of 91 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
just using one name, like "Cher".
if you ever chose this option, you would luck out, your first name is higly suitable for using just one name.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 91 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 08:35 AM

I just thought of another reason why I am glad that my parents didn't do this and that I don't have to do it.

If my parents had done this my full name would be

Casey John Calvin Christiansen-Trowbridge. No thanks

#15 of 91 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
I wonder if there's many people out there with a surname of Hyphen, who then, hyphenate their name.
..and then there was the guy that used to play bass for Jethro Tull, named Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond.

#16 of 91 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
(Besides, it's one of those horrible silent lettered east european last names and I have to spell enough letters already!)

I think that would be an incentive to change your name.Posted Image
Then again if I get married, would my wife want to take my name? For some reason few people can pronounce it correctly at first, and no one can spell it right. It sounds just like it's spelled, how hard can that be? Posted Image

In South American countries what name does the woman use? And where does it end? If the child is given the name of both parents, what do they pass on to their children?

#17 of 91 OFFLINE   Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Then again if I get married, would my wife want to take my name?
When my wife and I announced our engagement my father asked her, "You aren't going to do that smith-jones bullshit, are you?" I'm glad he asked. I hadn't thought of it. Wouldn't have married her if that was her plan.

#18 of 91 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 10:19 AM

My wife kept her last name when we got married, and I kept mine. We're both published under our names, and it didn't matter that much to either of us. Her last name is already hyphenated, from when her parents got married.

We haven't decided what we're going to do about kids though.

We had friends that got married two years ago that combined their last names. She was Watson, and he was Miller. Now they're both legally known as Watermill. My wife and I tried to figure out something clever to do with our last names, but couldn't come up with anything, so we just left 'em alone.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#19 of 91 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 12:46 PM

Wouldn't have married her if that was her plan.
Posted Image You da man. Gotta draw the line somewhere I guess. Did you train her to leave the toilet seat up yet?Posted Image

We haven't decided what we're going to do about kids though.
I heard it becomes a hassle sometimes if the kids are given the father's (or mother's) surname and the mother keeps hers. The mother then has to constantly explain herself when she deals with their schools or the hospital or whatever. "Yes, I really am their mother." "No, we're not divorced." You get the idea.

Also, people who know your wife probably call you Mr. Jones (or whatever her lastname is.)
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#20 of 91 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Also, people who know your wife probably call you Mr. Jones
Happens to me every now and then. My wife still uses her own surname (Tan; mine is Lim), so if she makes the reservations I get addressed as Mr Tan.

But around here, most women never take on their husband's names, and get called Madam so-and-so, rather than Mrs husband's-name, after marriage. Seems to be a cultural thing, growing up a lot of my teachers were Madam something-or-other. Nowadays of course the more modern "Ms" is preferred for married women retaining their maiden names.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow