-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Power Back UPS....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 09:44 AM

I was curious if anyone was using a battery powered UPS with their PVR/Sat.receiver? I just ordered a DVR from Dish, and plan to use a small (350 V/A)UPS. I understand there is a remote possiblity that programming data could be lost if power is removed while the HD Is writing to the disk. Technically, there is no reason a satellite system can not be kept fully alive during a power failure as long as the PVR/receiver is still powered up. Considering no pc fans or monitor hooked up, the UPS should be keep it alive a reasonable time. Of course you can't watch, the TV would suck the UPS down in no time!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,261 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 31 2004 - 09:58 AM

I use a cheap Energizer 250 V/A UPS I picked up at Circuit City for $10 (after rebate). We have a lot of blips that would cause the DirecTivo to re-boot. It's worked great for those. I haven't tested it to see how long it will stay running though. -Robert

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Giddens

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 10:14 AM

I've got a UPS hooked up to my Replay's, works like a charm. Since PVR's are mostly if not all computer parts it isn't an issue. I hooked them up to a UPS for those rare occasions when the power would go off for a second, and I would end up losing allot more than a second worth of the show recording. I also haven't put the run time to a test.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 05:01 AM

I just bought an APC 350v UPS for my SA TiVO. I did NOT get it to "keep it running (during a prolonged outage)". My concern was that computer/hard drive devices are much moire susceptible to failure due to surges/fluctuations......typical surge protectors may not really help these types of devices... I live in northern MA near the NH border. Last week there was a surge out of a power station in downtown Boston (a good 45 minute drive at the speed limit). We "felt" the momentary effect of that blip....I had a momentary Green screen of death (about 1-2 seconds). After almost three years, I decided it was time to spend $40 and get the UPS to protect against complete hard rive failure, which in my mind is much more worrisome than losting some settings or a recording. Bonus is that I can route the phone line through it which will protect the TiVO's modem. Bottom line, $40 is nothing to protect a TiVO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users