What's new

Power Back UPS.... (1 Viewer)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I was curious if anyone was using a battery powered UPS with their PVR/Sat.receiver?

I just ordered a DVR from Dish, and plan to use a small (350 V/A)UPS. I understand there is a remote possiblity that programming data could be lost if power is removed while the HD Is writing to the disk.

Technically, there is no reason a satellite system can not be kept fully alive during a power failure as long as the PVR/receiver is still powered up. Considering no pc fans or monitor hooked up, the UPS should be keep it alive a reasonable time. Of course you can't watch, the TV would suck the UPS down in no time!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a cheap Energizer 250 V/A UPS I picked up at Circuit City for $10 (after rebate). We have a lot of blips that would cause the DirecTivo to re-boot. It's worked great for those. I haven't tested it to see how long it will stay running though.

-Robert

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a UPS hooked up to my Replay's, works like a charm. Since PVR's are mostly if not all computer parts it isn't an issue. I hooked them up to a UPS for those rare occasions when the power would go off for a second, and I would end up losing allot more than a second worth of the show recording. I also haven't put the run time to a test.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I just bought an APC 350v UPS for my SA TiVO. I did NOT get it to "keep it running (during a prolonged outage)". My concern was that computer/hard drive devices are much moire susceptible to failure due to surges/fluctuations......typical surge protectors may not really help these types of devices...

I live in northern MA near the NH border. Last week there was a surge out of a power station in downtown Boston (a good 45 minute drive at the speed limit). We "felt" the momentary effect of that blip....I had a momentary Green screen of death (about 1-2 seconds). After almost three years, I decided it was time to spend $40 and get the UPS to protect against complete hard rive failure, which in my mind is much more worrisome than losting some settings or a recording. Bonus is that I can route the phone line through it which will protect the TiVO's modem.

Bottom line, $40 is nothing to protect a TiVO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks