-

Photo
- - - - -

Does XBOX/PS2 Do ***DAMAGE*** to TVs???????????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   David*RT

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 02:01 AM

My family bought last week a 36" JVC (model#: av36f704).

The Good Guys people told my family that the Xbox colors will do DAMAGE to the tv. They said they always get returns on TVs b/c they cannot handle Xbox or PS2 games as it's detrimental and ultimately fatal to LARGE size tvs like the JVC.

Can anybody please confirm or deny this.........As of now, my family won't let my brother hook up the Xbox to this new JVC tv...........

Features of TV:
16:9 Anamorphic DVD Mode, TheaterPro 6500K Color Temperature, INVAR Shadow Mask, 3-Line Digital Comb Filter, Dynamic Focus, Real Color & Real Detail Cr eation, Velocity Scan Modulation with ON/OFF, Component Video Input (with 15kHz Frequency (Y, Pb, Pr)), BBE High Definition Sound, and S-Video Inputs deliver a picture more vibrant, and sound more natural than any other standard definition TV.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Kevinkall

Kevinkall

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 03:16 AM

Just be sure NOT to have your CONTRAST and your BRIGHTNESS set to high. Get yourself a setup disc to adjust your picture settings and you should be fine.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Brandon_H

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 03:29 AM

A 36" television is almost assuredly a direct-view set. While burn-in is possible on direct-views, you would have to have the same image on-screen for a very long time -- and probably with the contrast up way too high -- for damage to occur.

Burn-in is much more of a problem on rear-projection sets. I have no doubt that the folks at Good Guys get a fair number of returns on projection sets due to burn-in caused by video-game consoles, but they are probably being overly cautious in your case.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   MuneebM

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 09:23 AM

I think burn-in due to a video game is less dangerous than watching ABC 4 hours per night with the ABC broadcast logo in the corner. Watch that for a year, 4 hours a night, and you're stuck with that ABC logo for good. Video games these days on XBox and PS2 are so dynamic that there's rarely a static image on the screen for a very long time.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 09:48 AM

I believe Directview CRTs are less prone to burn in than CRT-RPTVs... But you shouldn't have your contrast and brightness all the way up anyways if you want a good looking picture... as said before, get a calibration disc...

Also, there is a sticky at the top that deals with burn in issues you may want to take a look at

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 11:51 AM

Yes, they can damage your TV. But they probably won't. Even in the old days of Atari Combat, with bright static images on the screen constantly, burn-in wasn't very common. The TV used with my Commodore 64 never burnt it. Even in the Vax lab in college, only about 1/2 the monitors had the "Password:" prompt burnt in, and they were on 24/7 for about 15 years straight.

But now you've gone and made me feel old.

I'm willing to guess Mom and Dad want the 36" TV for themselves, which is their right, since they paid for it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 12:13 PM

The phosphors on a direct-view set are not driven nearly as hard as those on a projection CRT, such as a CRT-based RPTV, or a CRT projector. Almost all projection CRT displays need to have liquid coolant on the face of the picture tube just to keep the glass from cracking: the beam current is intense on a very very small area of phosphor compared to a direct view. This is why they are so much quicker susceptible to burn-in than direct-view CRTs. Certainly you can burn in direct-views, look at static displays, my local bank has a couple little monitors running cyclic text, and you can see the burn-in, but they are running the same thing every day year round. I would not worry about burn-in much at all on a direct-view unless you play pac-man 24 hours a day or something; but much moreso on an RPTV. See the MASTER BURN IN THREAD that is stickied at the top of this forum for more discussion.