Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Give me three good reasons to buy a Gamecube.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 KevinRB

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 11:37 AM

If the Gamecube price drops along with Xbox, I may consider buying one. However, I can't see why I need it other then for the sake of having it.

Can anyone give me three good reasons to buy a Gamecube? Here's some factors you need to take into consideration:

- I already own a PS2 and Xbox.
- I don't have a GBA.
- I never play multiplayer with friends on the same TV.
- I'm an adult and don't have kids.
- Try to use words other then Zelda and Metroid.

#2 of 36 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,098 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 12:58 PM

First of all, I don't see why Zelda and Metroid, two of the best game series ever, shouldn't count.

Second, how about Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, and the fact that it's $99 or less and the best games for it are already cheap.

#3 of 36 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
I never play multiplayer with friends on the same TV

Explain - do you normally play with friends on seperate TVs/screens (ala LAN play)??

And why no Zelda or Metroid? I hated the idea of cell shaded Zelda, but once I actually played it, damn, quality game. And I played a bit of Metroid, kick-ass console FPS (and I don't like FPS on consoles, normally).

What kind of games do you like? This question must be answered for significant answers.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#4 of 36 Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 341 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted March 29 2004 - 02:08 PM

If you do not like the Nintendo exclusive titles, there is no real reason to buy it. I have an Xbox and a Gamecube. I bought the gamecube to play the standards, Mario, Zelda, MarioKart, Mario Party, etc... Every title that is available on both, I buy for Xbox. It's that simple. Don't like'em don't buy it.

#5 of 36 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 03:57 PM

what scott said. i'm keeping mine because i love metroid and zelda, and the gba connectivity. oh yeah, and for when the real sequel to mario 64 comes out.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#6 of 36 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 01:16 AM

Well, Metroid Prime is one of the best games in recent memory, and Zelda is pretty damn good too. Those two were games were enough to convince me to buy a cube, but if you need more incentive, there are plenty of great cube exclusive titles. Plus, even if you don't own a GBA, you can get a relatively inexpensive GB player and have access to the large GBA library as well (including things like FF tactics Advance and Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission).
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#7 of 36 JoseEduardo

JoseEduardo

Second Unit

• 254 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 02:13 AM

RESIDENT EVIL 4!!!!!!
GAMECUBE ONLY!!!

#8 of 36 Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 05:14 AM

I bought a cube for the Resident Evil titles, and am quite happy with it. I also own a PS2, and have started to enjoy the cube a bit more. I think most of the upcoming releases on both platforms will be bought for the cube.

#9 of 36 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 06:25 AM

Animal Crossing
F Zero GX
Resident Evil Series
Viewtiful Joe
Mario Kart (basically anything with mario in the title)
Super Monkey Ball Series
Rogue Squadron Series
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Eternal Darkness
Wave Race
Luigi's Mansion

and the two words you dont want to hear, but the two best resons for owning a gamecube

Metroid
Zelda
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#10 of 36 KevinRB

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
First of all, I don't see why Zelda and Metroid, two of the best game series ever, shouldn't count.

Sorry for the miscommunication. I already know they are great and would get them along with the Gamecube. I'm looking for reasons to buy a Gamecube other then for just those two games.

Quote:
do you normally play with friends on seperate TVs/screens?

No. I only do multiplayer via the internet.

Quote:
for when the real sequel to mario 64 comes out.

Will that be on Gamecube?

Thanks for the Animal Crossing and Viewtiful Joe ideas. I forgot about them, but always wanted to try them.

What's the best "announced but not yet released" Gamecube title?

#11 of 36 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 01:30 PM

You can get Mario Kart up and running over the internet via warp pipe (tunneling, same guys who did Halo). I haven't done it but I hear it works good.

Also, Super Monkey Ball rules (either 1 or 2). It has a lot of multiplayer minigames (half the fun), but the single player is very challenging & addictive.

I have the Megaman collection disc preordered. It's also coming out for PS2 but it seems more at home on the GC for some reason...

I found Animal Crossing oddly addictive somehow...not sure why. Not normally my type of game (fighting or RPG), but I played it for about 10-20 hours.

If you do RPGs, Namco's Tales of Symphonia is due to come out on GC... my most anticipated GC title.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#12 of 36 Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 02:50 AM

If you aren't totally into the Nintendo exclusives like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, and depending on your gaming tastes, Viewtiful Joe and Animal Crossing, it may not be worth it for you. If you love those games though, you can't go wrong for $99 for the system.

Just don't expect to get lots of variety out of it unfortunantly. Not many platforming games outside of Mario, not many raceing games outside of NFS andBurnout, and no real RPGs to speak of.

#13 of 36 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
What's the best "announced but not yet released" Gamecube title?

Here area few:

PIKMIN 2
Metroid Prime 2
Unity
Resident Evil 4
Wario Ware
Tales of Symphonia
StarFox 2
Paper Mario GCN
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#14 of 36 Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 03:48 AM

and Geist should be good.

#15 of 36 Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
..three good reasons to buy a Gamecube
[list=1][*]You have nothing better to do[*]You have money to spare[*]You want to give your Xbox a rest[/list=1]

Posted Image
-K-

#16 of 36 Bryan C

Bryan C

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 06:17 AM

Killer 7 sounds like a very interesting game as well.

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes was just released and is a pretty decent reason to own a GC in itself.

Or if killing people or sneaking isn't your thing, Harvest Moon works Posted Image

#17 of 36 BrianMAZ

BrianMAZ

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 01:03 PM

Metroid. Metroid. Metroid. This perfect game is more than worth the price of Gamecube. It is the pinnacle of gaming for this generation of consoles. You don't need another reason, even though they are making another one.

#18 of 36 KevinRB

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:06 PM

Why is Metroid so much better then (insert favorite FPS here)?

#19 of 36 Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 12:15 PM

Metroid isn't really a FPS, I would classify it as a 1st person adventure game. It really is about as good a translation from a 2d adventure platforming game to a 3d adventure platforming game as you will find.

That said, I didn't enjoy it as much as a lot of other people because it is in 1st person and some of the controls didn't really work out that well. You can't stafe at all which is a huge no-no in any 1st person game. If you play a lot of FPS like I do you may not be able to enjoy this game to it's fullest.

#20 of 36 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 01:17 PM

You know, I keep waiting for an upgrade to "Killer Instinct" or something similar Posted Image

I gave up and put my Gamecube up in the FS area.. though doesn't appear to be going anywhere *laugh*
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow