What's new

I Married a Monster From Outer Space (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Well, no I didn't, but I would sure like this on DVD.

I enjoy the old B-movies from the 50s and 60s, all the old Sci-Fi and monster flicks. They are fun, in a cheesy way, and give the modern audience some interesting looks into the culture and worries of a lost age. Most of them are enjoyed while laughing at them, but a few still stand up as simply good and thoughtful movies.

Despite its lurid title, I Married a Monster From Outer Space is one of those. Similar in plot to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, IMaMFOS is in some ways more thoughtful. The aliens aren't all bad (or all good), but are shown in shades of gray. While we wouldn't really want them to succeed in their quest, we do end up feeling sympathetic towards their plight.

The movie also features an intelligent and courageous female lead. This makes a nice break from the many movies where the lone female scientist ends up serving the coffee to the menfolk, or running around the desert in high heels, or screaming and fainting, etc.

One of the best things about DVD is the release of many older titles that are hard to find elsewhere. I Married a Monster From Outer Space is one that desperately needs release onto DVD. Sadly, I fear the title is keeping it back.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
By Cthulhu's left tentacle! Julie's baaaack!;)

One of my favorite 50's B-Movies, I've got IMAMFAFEOUS on [whispers] vhs, but I would buy it again if it pops up on dvd. Loved the creepy looking aliens, and there is one very effective scene in the film when a flash of lightning momentarily reveals the true identity of our 'hero', gave me nightmares when I was a kid.:eek:

Jae_E

Agent
I've been hoping for this one, too. As far as I know, Paramount holds the rights...seems like a perfect choice for a Halloween promotion.:alien:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This and the original "NOT OF THIS EARTH" with BEVERLY GARLAND, should make it to DVD !!!!!!
And "I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF" with Michael Landon
and TED BESSELL "I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN"

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Put me down for a widescreen I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE, it is definitely time to retire my cropped Laserdisc.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Yeah, what Derek just said goes double for me. It would make an ideal August/September 2004 release in anticipation of Halloween.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that Paramount is embarrassed by this film (especially its title) and thus is reluctant to release it to DVD. Maybe someone from Paramount can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I recollect reading that somewhere.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for a copy. I've always found it amusing that 2 of the best and most intelligent Sci-Fi films of the 50's often are forgotten or overlooked today because of the ridiculous drive-in titles they were given. Those 2 being:
"I Married a Monster from Outer Space" and "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers". I'll take either of these over Day the Earth Stood Still anyday.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite sci-fi films from the 50's. I don't understand why Paramount would be embarrassed by this film, they did release it on laser.

This is part of my "most wanted Paramount sci-fi trilogy" (the other 2 being Robinson Crusoe on Mars & Phase IV)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Paramount's released War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide, but otherwise in SF it's pretty much Star Trek, Star Trek, Star Trek. They don't seem to have a lot of love for the older B-movies.

While the title may be more suited to the drive-in, this is a solid film and no studio should be embarrassed to release it onto DVD.

If MGM had the rights, we'd already have it for under 10 bucks as a Midnite Movie.

(Oh yeah, I'd take Robinson Crusoe on Mars too.)

Bob Muir

Grip
"The Crawling Eye" is another fairly decent movie with a bad title.

I just snatched up two dozen of those great 'B' movies at DeepDiscountDVD for $3.99 each! Check my sig. for titles. Unfortunately, they're not easy to find because they're in two-disk sets and sometimes DDD misspelled the title in the description.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie and its ilk. Screened The Angry Red Planet Friday night and had a wonderful time yukking it up ("There's got to be life out there, what with all those plants," uttered the astute ship's captain).

So, now it's time for I Married ....

Screened Target Earth very recently, too.

Julie K

Screenwriter

You gotta love that rat-bat-spider-crab monster too. It hides so perfectly as a tree...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My favourite monster-crab movie is still Mysterious Island. They tipped him into a geyser and cooked him whole. :emoji_thumbsup:

"Crabhulhu fat-hagen-daas"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but that's considered a genuinely good movie, Dennis. We're talking about those beloved Z flicks from the '50s and the early '60s. Man, I want the entire American International Pictures catalog on DVD. I'd love to be screening The Beast With a Million Eyes on Friday nights. And Invasion of the Saucer Men. Those are great bad movies!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Actually the actor from "I Was a Teenage Frankenstein" was NOT Ted Bessel(Marlo Thomas' boyfriend in "That Girl"), but actually Whit Bissell, who also starred in "I was a Teenage Werewolf." Mr. Bissell is best remembered by us oldsters as one of the scientists in the old 1960's sci-fi TV series "The Time Tunnel." Just thought you might want to know.:)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Target Earth, I'd like to see more old films with robots:

Gog
Tobor the Great
The Invisible Boy
Colossus of New York

Also some time travel films would be cool:

World Without End
The Time Travelers
Beyond the Time Barrier

Giant monsters on the loose are a must:

The Giant Claw
The Giant Behemoth
Konga
The Deadly Mantis
The Cyclops
Amazing Colossal Man
War of the Colossal Beast
The Monolith Monsters
Earth vs the Spider
Tarantula
Beast of Hollow Mountain
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

and films with tree trunks coming to life would be great too:

From Hell it Came

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
* The star of The Monolith Monsters also starred in another movie concerning another Monolith: William Sylvester played Dr. Heywood R. Floyd in Stanley Kubrick's little space flick.

* The Time Travelers featured a cameo by ageless SF fan and agent Forrest J. Ackerman, founding editor of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

* I have started at least three threads to encourage Paramount's Martin Blythe to consider committing Robinson Crusoe on Mars to DVD. The closest Mr. Blythe ever came to saying anything other than "not under consideration" was about a year ago, when he mentioned having screened it at the Paramount lot shortly before. "It's a lot of fun," he said. "But there are still no plans to bring it to DVD."

Given the success of MGM's Midnite Movies series of great B- and Z-flicks, I don't understand why Paramount is so reluctant to release this charming and genuinely good 1964 classic to DVD.

* I recently received another MGM Midnite Movies title, something I haven't seen since the 1970s: Planet of the Vampires. That film has some seriously creepy moments. Very moody, atmospheric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks