What's new

Is the Muppet Movie censored on DVD? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
From IMDB:

In the original theatrical version of the film, when he meets Kermit the first time, Rowlf the dog asks Kermit if he wants a drink, to which Kermit says, "I'll have a grasshopper." This small scene has been deleted from all subsequent versions. (Perhaps the filmmakers didn't want a children's movie to advocate an alcoholic beverage?)

I did a search at yahoo and although other sites have this info they all refer to either IMDB or a particular Amazon.com review. Does anyone have any personal recollection as to whether this line was in the original movie or any other sources that confirm or deny this?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Seems unlikely as Rowlf was the piano player at the restaurant. Steve Martin was the waiter. Plus, Kermit ordering wine is still in there.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Yeah, this claim seems dubious because if it were true I would think there would be more written about it online than there is. I seem to remember the joke but perhaps it is from one of the other movies or a Muppet Show episode. Are there any Muppet experts out there?

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I haven't seen the movie in years, but I do have the OOP soundtrack and Rolf does indeed have this exchange. After Kermit asks for the drink, Rolf calls to the bartender, "hey, can we have a grasshopper for the frog." Within a minute they're singing "I Hope that Something Better Comes Along"

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Maybe it was recorded as part of the song, but was cut from the movie before its release. That's happened with a lot of musicals; Little Shop of Horrors stands out in my mind. I don't know, though. Just a thought.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
The song on the soundtrack is different from the song in the movie, with different exchanges and an extra verse. I don't think it was ever in the film.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I bet the soundtrack is the source of the confusion. I think only Disney is capable of censorship of such inconsistency, ie Melody Time in which Pecos Bill's cigarrette is digitally erased while Jose Carioca's cigar remains untouched.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yeah- the soundtrack has this exchange (and for those keeping score the 45 single version is even slightly different as well)-- but i don't recall it ever being in the film (although when i saw it in theaters, I was 4).

But, my cousin and I used to do a little lip sync/mime show to that song from teh 45 single (to entertain family and friends), so i have it memorized like 50 times over.

Can't live em, you can't live without em.

"Can i get a grasshopper for the frog?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks