Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

XMen Worth a Blind Buy?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 08:18 AM

As I've stated before, I was introduced to the series via X Men Evolution, and I've been thinking of checking out the movies, having missed the theatrical runs... Was wondering if it was worth a blind buy....

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 08:59 AM

You can't really see the second film without having seen the first. The best bet would be to get the boxed set with both Xmen 5.1 and X2 included - I don't remember how much that retails for though.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 09:32 AM

5.1? Ooh. Posted Image

Sean is right. X-Men should be seen before seeing X2, which is a good, but long film. You might as well go for the box set, which is going for $27.99 at Amazon.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 10:02 AM

I find it interesting that the voice actor for Professor Xavier chose to voice him exactly like Patrick Stewart in the films. So if you liked the cartoon, you should see the films (though personally, I didn't like X2 as much as the first one).

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 10:46 AM

they're both worth it. I got into X-men from the tv show(the older, not the newer) and I loved both movies. The first one is more of a good story with action in it while the second is an action movie with an above average story.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 28 2004 - 11:12 AM

I liked these movies a lot, they look and sound good from DVD. Before these discs, I hadn't seen anything of X-Men since the 60's...

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Todd^B

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 11:23 AM

I liked both X-Men movies. We just watched number one last night for about the 5th time.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 28 2004 - 11:38 AM

I'd recommend both of these. The first has a good story but it feels a little dull (compared with the second) and has some a couple of weak points. For example, the action scenes aren't very well choreographed. I'd say it's an entertaining movie though. On the other hand, I felt the second one blew the first away. The budget was raised a little and the results show for it. It looks a lot fresher and interesting and the sets and action sequences are very well-done. I thought the story was just as good if not better than the first. Overall, it's an enthralling film with ideas and a storyline that sets it apart from the usual summer action flick. If you liked the X-Men Evolution show, I can't see why you wouldn't like these. I felt the series was good but a little too melodramatic. Just my opinion though.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 12:21 PM

I love them both. I await #3 and season sets of the animated series from the 90s.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 01:42 PM

I never was into the X-men until the films (I didn't know the first thing about them). I liked the first one, but not enough to buy it at first. Then I saw X2, and ran out and bought X-Men 1.5 (nominee for dumbest DVD title ever) in anticipation of X2 coming to DVD. I really felt X2 made the first one better as I got to know the characters better.

So yeah, I recommend it Posted Image

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 03:04 PM

Aside from the ridiculous wirework (comparable to Daredevil's...), the first film is pretty damn good. Nowhere near X2, but great nonetheless. Thumbs up from me Posted ImagePosted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 03:50 PM

I see this thread originated in the movies section and was moved into the software section by one of the mods. I think that even though the poster wants to know about buying a version of the film on home video, he's ultimately asking about the quality of the movie and putting it in the "movies" forum was the right choice. He's not specifically asking "is the DVD good?"
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 04:30 PM

Um, why don't you just rent them for like 4 bucks and see if you like them instead of forking over $30 on two movies you haven't seen?

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 09:11 PM

Neil, I sent you an e-mail and pm in case you are still looking for x-men. I would sell you my copy of the first films single disc release for the price of a rental. let me know if your interested

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 05:08 AM

Oh yes, it is worth a blind buy, even if it's just seen as a action film.

But X2 blows it away Posted Image

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Rino C

Rino C

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 03:34 PM

What is the difference between X-Men and X-Men 1.5? Is 1.5 just repackaging?

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted March 29 2004 - 04:51 PM

1.5 is the first X-men movie in its exact theatrical cut (the 1.5 moniker is a holdover from when it was supposed to be a director's cut. Singer decided to put the money he would have spent on new X-1 scenes into X-2 instead), but with a far more extensive set of bonus features and a dts track. If you're a dts or extras fanatic, 1.5 is well worth the price.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 12:46 AM

defineately worth a blind buy. i just watched it last night as a matter of fact. my favorite part of the whole movie is when;

Wolverine just gets done with Mystique and Cyclops and Jean Gray aren't sure if it's him.

Wolverine: It's me.
Cyclops: Prove it.
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Okay.

that cracks me up every time. great movie, some good bass, great PQ and AQ overall. lots of good extras as well. Posted Image Posted Image

eric
"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't." -favorite movie quote!

Can your sub hit 120db @ 10Hz?...Just wondering.
My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted March 30 2004 - 07:22 AM

Simple answer: YES
Guess what...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users