What's new

Metallica : Some Kind of Monster (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Too bad IFC Films rollout of this pic is so slow.

Too many 'tallica fans are going to have to wait too damn long to see an outstanding film.

But you don't have to be a Metallica fan to enjoy it. If you're interested in the creative process, and the role that the exorcism of personal demons sometimes plays in that process, by all means check it out when it finally hits your town.

-p

Keith M.

Second Unit
I just picked up the soundtrack ep...

Im a huge Metallica fan, but so far Im not impressed. Since there last album, Hetfield's vocals are crap and the drums sound like tin cans. Im curious to see the documentary/movie to see what the f*ck happened!!!

"And Justice For All" was the last Metallica album in my opinion...:frowning:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
St. Anger is a horrid CD. I was very disappointed when I borrowed it to give a listen, so glad I did not buy it. I won't bother with this soundtrack as well.

Can't wait to see Some Kind of Monster though.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I agree Keith on And Justice, but I'm still pretty interested in seeing the movie after seeing the trailer last weekend. It opens in Atlanta on Friday and is showing at 4-5 theaters which is kind of surprising. I thought it would just be at one of the art houses.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'm not a Metallica fan (except for Enter Sandman), but I want to see this.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
1.St. Anger had some good songs on it, but the production and recording was terrible. Kill kill kill Bob Rock!

2. AJFA is the best sounding Metallica album, no contest.
3. "Load" is by far the best Metallica album since AJFA (although "Through the Never" on the Black album kicks all kinds of ass!)

I'm very interested to see the film though...and I think it's actually already showing here in SF! What am I waiting for?? :)

-Dennis

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator

This is definitely the camp into which I fall, and I thought Some Kind of Monster was an amazing film, with many intimate moments of anguish, conflict and humor. The band deserves a lot of credit for allowing the filmmakers into their creative inner sanctum and then letting them stick around when the whole process starts to twist into unexpected and uncomfortable knots. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for veteran producer Bob Rock, who somehow got sucked into the morass as the band hadn't yet hired a permanent bassist.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
These are the theaters listed in the ad in last Sunday's AJC.

Discover Mills 18 in Duluth (5m from my house)
Hollywood 24 in Chamblee right off of 85
Southlake 24
Barrett Commons 24

Oddly, Landmark Art in Midtown wasn't listed. That's where I saw the trailer for it.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Brook K (and Keith M.), if the "Landmark Art" to which you're referring is a/k/a the Midtown Art (in Atlanta?), the second link in my post #2 (in addition to showing all the theaters where the pic will play in GA) currently shows that the pic doesn't unspool at that house until Sept. 3.

-p

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
One of the best comedy films of the year. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

Well done. I can't believe they actually permitted something this intimate to be released. Definite DVD purchase for a casual "Metlicca" fan.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I saw it a few weeks ago, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course, I am biased because I am a big fan of the band.

I saw an interview with one of the directors and he said that the "scene" where Lars is venting to James (yelling f%$*& every other word) actually went on for 3 straight hours! He said that Lars had been holding a lot of stuff in for over 20 years, and it all came out at once.

I thought the best line of the movie though was at the beginning when Jason was talking to the camera. He said the band members told him that they were going to get a therapist. Jason said, "and I thought that was sooo weak. You mean that 4 friends can't just sit down in a room together and talk about things? I'm so glad I left." (or something to that effect)

Kirk Hammett sure is a nice guy who has to put up with more than he should.

I am a big fan of James, but man that guy is a control freak!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Our theater is getting Some Kind of Monster here next weekend and I cant wait to see it.

You're kidding right? The vocals and guitars sound good, but the drums sound flat and the bass is non existent. The album needs a remix. Puppets and the Black Album have the best sound of the bunch.

And I couldn't find any decent songs on Anger. Pieces here and there were ok, but there are no good whole songs. The whole album sounds like they are each playing different songs.

Metallica needs to quit the imitator bit and start being innovators again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks