What's new

Anyone going to purchase the World at War box set? (1 Viewer)

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I recorded the set off the air many years ago and have re-recorded it twice more...it never came out on LD. It is, I think, the best war documentary series and well worth a purchase. I pre-ordered it.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I'm gonna get it. I always loved it. It's very dark and somber, of course the subject is pretty dark and somber.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I am currently recording over the version I taped off PBS about 15 years ago in anticipation of the DVD release. I pre-ordered as soon as it became available. Great series!
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Ohhh, yesss....it will be mine....
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Ian Wilson

Agent
Interestingly the Region 2 version has 10 vs 5 discs for the Region 1 and its been available since March.
Region 2
  • Animated Introductions with a four screen moving menu
  • Imperial War Museum Photo Gallery
  • Biographies
  • Brief history of 'The World At War'
  • Episode summaries
  • Speeches
  • Songs
  • Newsreels and maps
  • 'Making Of'
  • Chapter Selection
    Review
    Contains all 5 DVD volumes (on 10 discs) of the classic documentary series narrated by Laurence Olivier and charting the history of the Second World War. The discs come in a specially designed, collectors edition box.
    Over 32 hours of digitally remastered footage. Packed with extras, including a hour-long 'Making Of' special presented by Jeremy Isaacs. No history enthusiast should miss the opportunity to own this remarkable visual document charting the impact of WW2 on the consciousness of the world.
    Region 1
  • Color, Black & White, Box set
  • 5 Discs Plus 8 Hours of Bonus Features
  • Individual Episode Introductions by Producer Jeremy Isaacs
  • Episodes Summaries
  • Episode Links To Specific Footage: Songs, Speeches, Maps
  • World War II Timeline
    Photo Gallery of Images From The Imperial War Museum, London
  • Brief History of World War II
  • 17 Biographies of Leading Figures Including Eisenhower, Goering, Churchill, Hitler, Himmler, MacArthur, Mussolini, Rommel, Roosevelt, Stalin, Tojo, Zhukov amnd More
  • DVD ROM: Links To The Imperial War Museum Website
  • Full-screen format
Of course its more expensive but...
Ian

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
maybe the R1 set is using DVD18s?
I've had the R2s since september 2000 - the discs are brilliant although the menus could be a little clearer.
Well worth getting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I preordered it from Lasersedge for $89.94 along with several other dvds.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Ian Wilson

Agent
That was kind o' complicated... Does this mean that the R2 version has more material than the R1, or not...?
It would appear that the Region 2 version has an extra 9 hours of material.
Region 1 is listed at 1384 minutes - 23 hours (Dv-depot.com dvdplanet), Amazon lists it at 999 minutes - 16.5 hours.
Region 2 is listed at 1920 minutes - 32 hours (blackstar, play247), which is correct as the blurb states "32 hours of digitally remastered footage"
I'm leaning towards the Region 2 release.
Ian

BrianP

Supporting Actor
quote: Brian, I pre-ordered mine from Deep Discount DVD for $90 shipped. That was the best I found.[/quote]
I just preordered it from Amazon using a $10 coupon to get the price down to $82 shipped. I am also hoping a Giftcertificate.com promotion for $125 worth of GCs for $100 comes through so I can turn them into Amazon GCs to lower the price more.
------------------
My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc
[Edited last by BrianP on November 08, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Yes, Yes, Yes! I saw this show when it was first broadcast on US TV. It was, for me, a Friday night fixture. The fact that its coming out on DVD is great news. A little disappointed that we are not getting all the R2 goodies but the show is the thing. Now if only "Victory at Sea" would appear. Anyone know who currently owns the rights?

Ian Wilson

Agent
In the course of sniffing around to find the actual run time, I found the best price at Dvdplanet, $83.98 shipping brings it up to $88.48
Ian

I ordered mine from DirectVideo.com for $73.07 shipped, with taxes. They are a Canadian company, so if you're looking at their website, make sure you're looking at the US Dollars price, not the Canadian.
Larry

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
cnl.com has the World at War series for $84.45 Canadian. Which works out to be around $56 US funds + shipping. I'm pretty sure they ship to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks