-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My budget theater website up "Jones Theater" now open.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 11:06 AM

The theater has been up and running for several months. I finally found the time to build a new site. Hope you enjoy checking it out. Just click the logo. -EJ

Posted Image
 Visit my blog coregeek.net

#2 of 30 DelRay

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 11:49 AM

Very nice set-up Eric. So, how do you like the Sanyo? I,m thinking front proj. In my future.Posted Image

#3 of 30 Glenise

Glenise

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 12:38 PM

nice

#4 of 30 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 26 2004 - 06:05 PM

Cool! Keen! Budget?

What do you mean by "budget"? It actually looks spendy (in a good way). Posted Image

#5 of 30 BrianKR

BrianKR

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted March 27 2004 - 01:39 AM

Fantastic room Eric!Posted Image

Grab some Posted Image and enjoy!

#6 of 30 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 27 2004 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
DelRay- Very nice set-up Eric. So, how do you like the Sanyo? I,m thinking front proj. In my future.

I love it. I'm going on 500 or so hours. There's really nothing like having a front p. I think it's the key element to creating the theater enviroment at home.

Quote:
What do you mean by "budget"?

I have less than $3000 invested. My most expensive component is the HDTV receiver and I paid $250 (used). Compared to some guys who have 10's of 10000's to spend, I'm considering it budget.

Quote:
It actually looks spendy (in a good way).

Thanks, means my hard work paid off!

-EJ

#7 of 30 MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted March 27 2004 - 08:44 AM

Very impressive! Did you do all the work yourself? That's a LOT of work! I really like how the IB sub is set into the AV closet; excellent use of space. Posted Image

The "fold away" screen is another excellent idea. Is it a painted piece of MDF or is it actual screen material over a frame? It's an idea I hadn't thought of and may steal...er "borrow" when I finally start mine this summer!
Yeah, I base all my HT purchases on the WAF, too. Wallet Acceptance Factor.

#8 of 30 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 27 2004 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
I have less than $3000 invested
Wow! That's a great deal. I've got almost $2k in just my Sony Wega TV. I'm impressed you did your whole system for about $3k. Posted Image

#9 of 30 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 27 2004 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Very impressive! Did you do all the work yourself?

Yes I did everything myself, even the curtains!

Quote:
That's a LOT of work! I really like how the IB sub is set into the AV closet; excellent use of space.

They are actually 2 seperate spaces that make up the crawl space under the split level stairs.

Quote:
The "fold away" screen is another excellent idea. Is it a painted piece of MDF or is it actual screen material over a frame?

To keep it light enough for swinging up and down the frame is made out of 1x4's and covered with blackout fabric.

Quote:
Wow! That's a great deal. I've got almost $2k in just my Sony Wega TV. I'm impressed you did your whole system for about $3k.

I re-figured it in my head and it might have been more like $4k but not any more than that.

-EJ

#10 of 30 Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 12:07 AM

Your theater is one of a couple of theaters I have been viewing over the years among those of Erik Farstad,Ron Peregrin,Chris Collins, Neil Joseph,and Frank Zimkas ... and also many more ...

For some reason they have this unique quality ... like these are theaters that were put together with love care an thought and not overly extravagant. I guess thats only part of what makes these theaters unique.

I actually reluctantly stopped viewing the your page when you sold your initial system but stopped by to check and "viola" youve moved front projection! GREAT JOB and lots of kudos!

I have the same projector ... had it since last summer but I dont think I have loged anywhere near that amount of time on my projector .... and believe I always try to find an excuse to use it ... Geez how do you guys do it?
- "How'd you do that?"
- "What?!"
- "You move like they do ... I've never seen anyone move that fast."

The Martheaplexx

#11 of 30 Jim J

Jim J

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 12:57 AM

very nice.

any chance we'll see a 'plan' view?

Jim J

#12 of 30 Bernie_A

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted March 28 2004 - 03:25 AM

Mark....your HT is sooo pimp! It's a great use of space. Is that a Futon that doubles as a bed? All I have to say is...bwank-chcka-bwank-bwank.......sweet!

#13 of 30 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
I actually reluctantly stopped viewing the your page when you sold your initial system but stopped by to check and "viola" youve moved front projection! GREAT JOB and lots of kudos!

Thanks Mark. You've got a sweet setup yourself! What are you using for a screen?

Quote:
any chance we'll see a 'plan' view?

Jim, do you mean a floorplan view?

-EJ

#14 of 30 Jim J

Jim J

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 08:26 AM

Quote:
...do you mean a floorplan view?

yes, exactly.

Jim J

#15 of 30 Darren H

Darren H

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 02:36 AM

Eric, tell me about your equipment rack. I plan on doing something similar in the coming weeks -- cutting into a wall so that I can access the back of the components from another room (in my case, an unfinished storage room in the basement). Did you build the rack or buy it? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
[ long pauses ]

#16 of 30 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
...do you mean a floorplan view?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes, exactly.

UPDATE: added a floorplan to the site.

Quote:
Eric, tell me about your equipment rack. I plan on doing something similar in the coming weeks -- cutting into a wall so that I can access the back of the components from another room (in my case, an unfinished storage room in the basement). Did you build the rack or buy it? Any suggestions?

Not sure if I have any suggestions. Be sure there's no electrical in the wall you're cutting into. I found mine the hard way - ZAP!

For mine I selected a spot between two studs. Built a box for the cabinet out of MDF to fit snugly between the studs. Installed it in the wall and finished it out with a face frame and shelves. Here's a picture of the inside hope it helps.

Posted Image

-EJ

#17 of 30 Jim J

Jim J

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 06:24 AM

thanks !
Jim J

#18 of 30 Randy Laporte

Randy Laporte

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 06:40 AM

Excellent setup. can't believe the price$, mine cost over $10,000, dam, I did something wrong... PS, love the PEZ
My HT

#19 of 30 Ben.T

Ben.T

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 03:59 PM

Whats it like to be in the closet with the subs playing?

Posted Image
* Possibly the only HT enthusiast that thinks LoTR series is overrated *

#20 of 30 Phaelon

Phaelon

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 01:57 AM

Nice theater setup. Can you point me to some info on the materials and pattern/design you used for the black-out curtains? I'm presently settgin up a modest hoem theater in the only room available to me - it used to be a sunroom and has three walls that are mostly windows - light control will be a big issue and 95% reduction is about what I need.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow