What's new

Just finished DVD storage Cabinet! (1 Viewer)

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
First, sorry for posting in the DIY forum, should have posted here. Ok, The project took alot longer than i planned,(always the case), but i am pleased with the results. I made the doors out of Fir,frosted the glass myself and made the rest of the cabinet out of 3/4" MDF.It is a total of 10" deep with 4" sunk into the wall, and it will hold 500+ DVD's. Now i need to start collecting, as i only have 50 so far.!!!
I have been lurking around,looking at what everyone else has been making and i got the "build" bug. I thought i would share my little storage unit!!!

BrianKR

Second Unit
WOW that is one nice looking cabinet Curt!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Curt,

Very nice detail work on the cabinet. I can appreciate built-in cabinets that become a part of one's home. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Curt,

Beautiful and elegant solution.

You know, for a moment I was puzzled, because when I entered through your link, they were "newest first". Took me a few seconds to realize the order!

How deep is it exactly? About 5.5", to accomodate snappers?

Cees

Todd_B

Second Unit
That is an amazing job you did there :emoji_thumbsup:

..I think I'm going to borrow your idea (if you don't mind) :)

Todd B

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your comments. The wife wanted pillars in the livingroom and the entrance to the dining room. We went shopping and found that they would cost about $250.00 per pillar( floor to ceiling),so i decided to make them myself. That's where the idea came from to make the cabinet. I made 8 fluted pillars floor to ceiling, with crown moulding around the top and a base on the bottom. I just have to paint them. So i thought i could make a cabinet using the fluted pillar idea. AS you can see i ended up finishing the cabinet first. DVD storage can add up as you all know, and it just wasn't in the budget.

Total cost was;
$50 for 2 sheets of mdf
$55 for glass
$12 for two cans of frost glass(at home depot)
$20 for the hardwood used to make the doors (fir, it's cheap)
$20 glue,sandpaper,misc.
So for around $150.00 i was all set. I was painting the wall anyway so i didn't include the price of paint.
My next project is going to be a huge DIY Tempest enclosure. I'm thinking of sinking it into the corner of the wall near my stairs with a couple of pillars on each side. Still haven't figured out the design yet. The wife is totally supportive as long as it looks/sounds good.

PS. The shelves are 6" deep, and i left and extra 3" height on the bottom shelves just incase some boxsets in the future are made taller!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks