-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast buys TechTV, to merge w/G4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Peter Miller

Peter Miller

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 05:43 AM

Comcast boughtTechTV today for $300 million.

My guess is they use TechTV's subscriber base which could finally mean G4 programming on DirecTV but what the final product becomes is anyone's guess.
Peter Miller
Pete's Movie Page | My DVD's | My Blog

#2 of 16 Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 09:45 AM

What does this mean for people that don't use Comcast? My town has Charter. If I lose Tech TV I'll be really upset.

#3 of 16 Doug R

Doug R

Supporting Actor

• 787 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 10:06 AM

G4 and TechTV Merger - Quick Facts
Overall Merger:

Q: How does the merger expand G4's subscriber growth?
A: The merged network will be available to 44 million cable and satellite customers, representing every major MSO and satellite provider (28 million cable and 16 million satellite). G4, launched in April, 2002, is currently available in 15 million homes in 47 of the nation's top 50 television markets.

Q: What MSO's and satellite companies will carry the combined network?
A: Comcast; Time Warner; Mediacom; Insight; Cablevision; Charter; Adelphia; Cox; Cable One; Dish; and DirecTV.

Q: Who will be the network's chief executive?
A: Charles Hirschhorn, currently founder and CEO of G4, will oversee the merged network as CEO.

Q: Will the two services run independently of each other or be immediately combined?
A: The two channels will merge into one network. In the meantime, both G4 and TechTV will continue to air as independent channels, pending customary regulatory approvals underway.

Q: Where will the network be headquartered?
A: The merged network will be headquartered in Los Angeles.

Programming:

Q: What will a typical programming day look like?
A: The merged network will be the nation's premier 24/7 television network all about video games, technology and the gamer lifestyle. The G4 programming day will showcase many existing G4 and TechTV series such as G4's ICONS; PULSE; JUDGMENT DAY; PLAYERS, and CHEAT! as well as TechTV's ANIME UNLEASHED; X-PLAY; SCREEN SAVERS; FRESH GEAR; and ROBOT WARS. G4 will also premiere new original programming which will be announced at a later date.

Q: How many hours of original programming will the merged network produce?
A: After the networks merge, G4 will air more than 20 series and 800 episodes per year. New programs continue to be in development.

Q: Who is the network's target audience?
A: The network will target a core audience of 12-34 year olds and the 145 million people in the US who spend upwards of $11 billion annually on video games.

#4 of 16 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,041 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:31 PM

so does this mean i'll get techtv on comcast dig cable.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 16 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 05:44 PM

It's too bad that the merged network will be based in Los Angles. Hopefully they will still produce the old TechTV shows in SF.

#6 of 16 Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 10:41 PM

Seems odd since I have had comcast digital cable for about a year now and they don't carry TechTv and have claimed no plans to do so.

#7 of 16 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 02:41 AM

I just saw the announcement on G4 this morning, and if it will keep them from repeating the same episode of each show 6 times a week, I'm all for the merger!Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#8 of 16 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:06 AM

I watch G4 sporadically, but it really is too focused on one tech area to be successful, IMO.
Maybe merging with TechTV (which I've never seen save for video clips online) will help in broadening the content. I hope they don't ruin TechTV though, it seems to be a way beter channel than G4 is.
/Mike

#9 of 16 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 04:08 AM

I love G4 although they do recycle their programming alot. Tech TV is cool too but I don't watch it near as much as G4. G4, for me, is great secondary TV fodder if I'm doing something else primarily, ie. reading, video gaming, etc.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#10 of 16 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 05:13 AM

Exactly. I have G4 on while I'm working at my comp. I've never seen TechTV. Does it cover HT?
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 16 Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 05:28 AM

I like TechTV. I just hope that Comcast doesn't ruin it.

#12 of 16 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 05:50 AM

Reminds me of when 'Ha!' and 'Comedy Channel' merged into some channel that is still around today.

#13 of 16 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 08:56 AM

After reading more about G4 this looks like a terrible development for fans of TechTV.

I have to agree with MickeS, I don’t see how in the long run G4 with it’s narrow focus on gaming can be a viable format.

TechTV on the other hand has a much broader focus and can appeal to a much broader audience

#14 of 16 John_Bonner

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:53 PM

No mention of TechTV's "Call for Help".
At least "The Screen Savers" looks safe for now.
JB

#15 of 16 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 06:30 PM

Hey Dave_Brown,

I live in Grand Rapids and we have Tech TV on Comcast Digital Cable here. You have to subscribe to it.

#16 of 16 Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 07:31 PM

I've been watching more TechTV latley. The shows are really cool and they have a mice identity carved for themself. Morgan Webb is one hot babe but the guy with her on X-pay is a twit. He's more annoying than a 24 hour Olsen Twin Chanell. Let's hope they lose him in the merger.