What's new

Comcast buys TechTV, to merge w/G4 (1 Viewer)

Peter Miller

Agent
Comcast boughtTechTV today for $300 million.

My guess is they use TechTV's subscriber base which could finally mean G4 programming on DirecTV but what the final product becomes is anyone's guess.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
What does this mean for people that don't use Comcast? My town has Charter. If I lose Tech TV I'll be really upset.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
G4 and TechTV Merger - Quick Facts
Overall Merger:

Q: How does the merger expand G4's subscriber growth?
A: The merged network will be available to 44 million cable and satellite customers, representing every major MSO and satellite provider (28 million cable and 16 million satellite). G4, launched in April, 2002, is currently available in 15 million homes in 47 of the nation's top 50 television markets.

Q: What MSO's and satellite companies will carry the combined network?
A: Comcast; Time Warner; Mediacom; Insight; Cablevision; Charter; Adelphia; Cox; Cable One; Dish; and DirecTV.

Q: Who will be the network's chief executive?
A: Charles Hirschhorn, currently founder and CEO of G4, will oversee the merged network as CEO.

Q: Will the two services run independently of each other or be immediately combined?
A: The two channels will merge into one network. In the meantime, both G4 and TechTV will continue to air as independent channels, pending customary regulatory approvals underway.

Q: Where will the network be headquartered?
A: The merged network will be headquartered in Los Angeles.

Programming:

Q: What will a typical programming day look like?
A: The merged network will be the nation's premier 24/7 television network all about video games, technology and the gamer lifestyle. The G4 programming day will showcase many existing G4 and TechTV series such as G4's ICONS; PULSE; JUDGMENT DAY; PLAYERS, and CHEAT! as well as TechTV's ANIME UNLEASHED; X-PLAY; SCREEN SAVERS; FRESH GEAR; and ROBOT WARS. G4 will also premiere new original programming which will be announced at a later date.

Q: How many hours of original programming will the merged network produce?
A: After the networks merge, G4 will air more than 20 series and 800 episodes per year. New programs continue to be in development.

Q: Who is the network's target audience?
A: The network will target a core audience of 12-34 year olds and the 145 million people in the US who spend upwards of $11 billion annually on video games.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so does this mean i'll get techtv on comcast dig cable.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad that the merged network will be based in Los Angles. Hopefully they will still produce the old TechTV shows in SF.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Seems odd since I have had comcast digital cable for about a year now and they don't carry TechTv and have claimed no plans to do so.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the announcement on G4 this morning, and if it will keep them from repeating the same episode of each show 6 times a week, I'm all for the merger!:D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I watch G4 sporadically, but it really is too focused on one tech area to be successful, IMO.
Maybe merging with TechTV (which I've never seen save for video clips online) will help in broadening the content. I hope they don't ruin TechTV though, it seems to be a way beter channel than G4 is.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I love G4 although they do recycle their programming alot. Tech TV is cool too but I don't watch it near as much as G4. G4, for me, is great secondary TV fodder if I'm doing something else primarily, ie. reading, video gaming, etc.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. I have G4 on while I'm working at my comp. I've never seen TechTV. Does it cover HT?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
After reading more about G4 this looks like a terrible development for fans of TechTV.

I have to agree with MickeS, I don’t see how in the long run G4 with it’s narrow focus on gaming can be a viable format.

TechTV on the other hand has a much broader focus and can appeal to a much broader audience

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave_Brown,

I live in Grand Rapids and we have Tech TV on Comcast Digital Cable here. You have to subscribe to it.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I've been watching more TechTV latley. The shows are really cool and they have a mice identity carved for themself. Morgan Webb is one hot babe but the guy with her on X-pay is a twit. He's more annoying than a 24 hour Olsen Twin Chanell. Let's hope they lose him in the merger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks