Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek Prequel Movie Trilogy rumor at AICN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:34 AM

This is from AICN so take it as you will, but they posted a really weird Star Trek movie rumor yesterday. You need to scroll down towards the bottom of the article:

Quote:

But when I hear about their plans for STAR TREK, I have to wonder. Are they unable to tell a good idea from a bad one where this particular franchise is concerned? I’m not the world’s biggest fan of TREK in any flavor, but I sympathize with TREK fans. You guys have it rough. And it’s about to get rougher.

First, the good news. No Berman. No Braga. Instead, Jordan Kerner (SNOW DOGS, INSPECTOR GADGET, THE MIGHTY DUCKS and D2 and D3) is being brought in to produce. Right now, he’s in the early stages of developing a prequel trilogy. First question, obviously, is “a prequel to what?” After all, the various TV shows have played all sorts of tricks with the timeline. When I hear “prequel trilogy,” it sounds to me like we’re going to see young Kirk and young Spock and young McCoy. It sounds to me like we’re talking about Starfleet Academy.

Instead, we’re looking at films that sound like they’re all about big intergalactic events, but which don’t appear to be about any characters, which is what Gene Roddenberry’s original vision was ALWAYS about. Characters. Don’t just try to tell some big budget spectacle story. I hear the first film’s about a civil war, the second film’s devoted largely to the galactic switch-over from a fission standard to fusion, and then there’s a third film where we’ll finally see an Ensign Kirk show up for all of about the last 20 minutes. Just Kirk. Nobody else. And no ENTERPRISE.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post this in the Movies section, can this be moved by an admin?

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
the second film’s devoted largely to the galactic switch-over from a fission standard to fusion

Sounds like a great film!

I'd take all this with a truckload of salt.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:51 AM

Any movie based entirely on a intergalactic science project and fuel conversion sounds like a winner to me..

ICE PIRATES!
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
and then there’s a third film where we’ll finally see an Ensign Kirk show up for all of about the last 20 minutes.

Sounds oddly similar to Episode III, in which Vader will join the fray in the last few minutes.

I'm chalking this up to "fanboy wishlist" and nothing more.

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 25 2004 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
I'm chalking this up to "fanboy wishlist" and nothing more.
I don't know about that. Other than the absence of B & B, I can't see any Trek "fanboy" (or even casual fan) wishing for this treatment.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 11:55 AM

It's a FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Obviously.

There is no way Paramount is going to develop a trilogy. If and when they get around to making another Star Trek film, they will make one film only and if that does well, then perhaps they will make more.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 12:53 PM

Rob, what are you, the new Romulan ambassador?

Love the DS9 reference. THERE'S your movie franchise! Probably cost half what the TNG cast would need.

Besides, we followers of the Emissary need closure!

BOMM,

CS

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 11:05 AM

Craig,

I haven't read any Star Trek fiction since high school, but I understand that the DS9 "Relaunch" novels are some of the best recent Star Trek stories presented in any medium. (i.e. superior to the stinky TV shows and movies of the last few years.) I've heard that the books follow up on a lot of unresolved threads from the TV show such as Bajor's admission into the Federation and the fate of Ben Sisko.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 01:06 PM

Quote:
the second film’s devoted largely to the galactic switch-over from a fission standard to fusion
Posted Image

Start movie:

Scientist 1: Hey, I invented nuclear fusion.

Scientist 2: Hey, great.

Scientist 1: Let's use it.

Scientist 2: Okay.

End movie.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 03:38 PM

"I hear the first film’s about a civil war"

Phantom Menace was about a war and rebellion from older authorities.

"the second film’s devoted largely to the galactic switch-over from a fission standard to fusion"

Attack of the Clones was about the switch-over from Republic to Empire.

"and then there’s a third film where we’ll finally see an Ensign Kirk show up for all of about the last 20 minutes."

In Episode III, Darth Vader...ah, never mind. Posted Image

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 04:45 PM

This is a bad idea IMO.

I still think TNG should get a proper send off (and try not releasing the darn film five days before The Hobbit or something, Paramount).

I mean imagine if Paramount decide to end the original crew's adventures at Star Trek V because that was a dissapointment.

Bring back Nicolas Meyer and have him do a TNG film.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   DanHaya

DanHaya

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
Bring back Nicolas Meyer and have him do a TNG film.

I agree. Here's what I would do:

1. Fire Berman and Braga
2. Hire Nick Meyer to write and direct a TNG-DS9 film
3. Hire as many TNG and DS9 cast members as the budget will allow.
4. Release the film either in Fall 2005 or Spring 2006.

Quote:
I mean imagine if Paramount decide to end the original crew's adventures at Star Trek V because that was a dissapointment.

You know, putting aside how bad ST5 is, how stupid was Paramount for opening it against Batman and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? I mean, they were just asking for an ass-whippin'!

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   BrianMagog

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 08:35 AM

As a kid I had a book on the history of the federation, with diagrams of the Star Trek galaxy and various spaceships at different points in time. It was written as a timeline from the early 1980's (space shuttle) through past TOS. There was some great stuff in there.

The Civil War could refer to the war started by Kahn and his followers, which could make for a great movie (with the ending being the ship that the Enterprise encountered being blast off).

I don't remember a lot about fission vs. fusion, but my guess would be fusion rapidly expanded the number of available planets.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 08:50 AM

Cancel Enterprise and let Trek take a break. Then in 2006 do a major event. Pretty obvious why.

Neil

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 09:59 AM

Berman and Braga are to Star Trek what Eisner is to Disney. I'd rather watch a Trek movie made by the snotty kid with the mullet from "Trekkies".
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 04:54 PM

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 12:38 AM

You know, putting aside how bad ST5 is, how stupid was Paramount for opening it against Batman and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? I mean, they were just asking for an ass-whippin'!

I don't know about that- ST5 opened two weeks after Crusade and two weeks before Batman. In the summer marketplace that's a huge amount of breathing room.

ST5 has only itself to blame. I remember a huge amount of interest in the film coming off of Star Trek 4. ST5 actually posted a slightly bigger opening weekend than ST4 did too. It was only once word of mouth started getting around that people's expectations dimmed.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 10:21 AM

I remember the posters for ST 5 showing a seat with a seatbelt on it to infer you were in for a good ride but it was actually to keep you from walking out.

I wont see any prequel movies unless they honor the timelines set up from the series and movies (Not Enterprise which makes things up as it goes.)

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 05:40 AM

Energy Regulation? Sounds like a huge Summer Blockbuster, That what people go to the movies to see. It will be like printing money. Watch out, Titanic!

Has there actually been any real news on Aint it Cool News? I remember the Nolan/Bale Batmobile article that turned out to be a huge fake! here They added the word "Fake" to those pics afterward

But the real Nolan/Bale Batmobile showed up on the offical site here

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 05:01 AM

I thought I'd resurrect this thread with new rumours of prequel films. A story from Trekweb follows:

Quote:
After over a year of silence on the future of the STAR TREK feature film franchise, producer Rick Berman has finally dropped the first hints of a new theatrical project for the franchise. The news comes in the new issue of Dreamwatch magazine, just coming out in the UK.

Speaking in issue #117, Berman confirms for the first time that he is now developing a STAR TREK feature film project: "I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next STAR TRKE movie," reveals Berman, in an excerpt provided by Dreamwatch. "It's something I will be producing with two other producers."

Unwilling to offer many details he cryptically describes it as "a prequel" without any further elaboration. The names of his producing cohorts will have to remain unknown for now, as well. This follows a report earlier this week from Dark Horizons that Paramount may be working on a project the site described as "Starfleet Academy." Coincidentially, former TREK producer Harve Bennett (STAR TREKs II-VI) revealed recently that several years ago he had pitched a Starfleet Academy-based STAR TREK movie concept.

On the television front, while the future of their first series remains in limo, Berman confirms that he is developing a non-STAR TREK sci-fi series with partner Brannon Braga. Both Berman and Braga have development deals with Paramount. If a new series begins development in earnest, TrekWeb insiders suggest Berman and/or Braga might take a reduced role in a fourth season of ENTERPRISE, though this is entirely speculation.

For the full interview and much more, check out issue #117 of Dreamwatch magazine in the United Kingdom

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow