Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Return of the Secaucus 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,907 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 03:40 AM

This DVD release slipped under the radar for me. I just purchased this yesterday. It is John Sayle's first movie he directed. Secaucus 7 has been considered the inspiration for The Big Chill. Secaucus 7 has less glitter, but is more honest than the Big Chill, IMO.

I was disappointed to that Secaucus 7 DVD is presented in full frame. The format on the packaging is very deceiving. It says "Standard Theatrical release format". Does that mean it was originally shown in 1:33 to 1 ratio? Does anyone know. I would think since this presented by IFC Films they would present the movie in its OAR.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#2 of 4 John Lloyd

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:14 AM

According to www.imdb.com, this film was shot on 16mm and printed on 35mm in the standard Academy ratio (1:37.1).

#3 of 4 Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 05:04 AM

I saw the film at its premiere at FILMEX back in--what?--1980 I guess, and it was intended to be shown full frame.

#4 of 4 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,907 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any information about the aspect ratio on IMDB and the above link doesn't open for me.

I have a question about the content of the movie. I thought there was a scene where the people are sitting around and making hamburger patties. The only scene is a shot of hamburgers on the grill. Am I thinking of another movie with a scene like that?

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.