Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Return of the Secaucus 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 03:40 AM

This DVD release slipped under the radar for me. I just purchased this yesterday. It is John Sayle's first movie he directed. Secaucus 7 has been considered the inspiration for The Big Chill. Secaucus 7 has less glitter, but is more honest than the Big Chill, IMO.

I was disappointed to that Secaucus 7 DVD is presented in full frame. The format on the packaging is very deceiving. It says "Standard Theatrical release format". Does that mean it was originally shown in 1:33 to 1 ratio? Does anyone know. I would think since this presented by IFC Films they would present the movie in its OAR.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Lloyd

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 04:14 AM

According to www.imdb.com, this film was shot on 16mm and printed on 35mm in the standard Academy ratio (1:37.1).

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 05:04 AM

I saw the film at its premiere at FILMEX back in--what?--1980 I guess, and it was intended to be shown full frame.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any information about the aspect ratio on IMDB and the above link doesn't open for me.

I have a question about the content of the movie. I thought there was a scene where the people are sitting around and making hamburger patties. The only scene is a shot of hamburgers on the grill. Am I thinking of another movie with a scene like that?

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.