-

Photo
- - - - -

With all the beef eaten in this country...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 02:27 PM

Why aren't we all wearing free leather jackets?

Where's all the leather going?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 02:55 PM

If I had to guess, either the skin of cows bred for beef isn't suitable for use as leather, or the slaughter process for cows does something that damages the skin making it unsuitable for use as leather; the flip side being that in processing a carcess to get the leather, the meat is not properly preserved for consumption.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 03:05 PM

Quote:

Hot Dogs. Posted Image

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 04:12 PM

If Yee-Ming is wrong, and I sincerely hope he is because that would be a shame for all that leather/beef to go to waste depending on the cow's purpose, then I think you just have to look at where it's going.

I suspect that cows being used for leather are good for beef also, maybe not as good as cows raised specifically for beef, but still good. I do know that good leather comes from cows raised in certain environments, such as not being exposed to barbed wire which scratches the leather. There may be only certain breeds of cows that give high quality leather I'd bet. Then consider this, my couch took upwards of 7 cows, yet I probably don't eat near that much a year. My car, plus shoes and belts, might equal another cow, although I imagine there'd be some left over. One cow can probably make several leather jackets because of how thin it is stretched.

Still, perhaps the cost of the leather isn't in the cow, but rather the work needed to make it usable. It's got to be skinned properly, cleaned, tanned, stretched, died, etc., and then cutting and sewing probably takes more costly equipment compared to most materials, and the process is longer. So lots of leather may go to waste just because there's not the demand for it.

I dunno, this is all just speculation on my part.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 04:48 PM

well, a lot of it doesn't make it to leather jackets, because, quite frankly, it isn't in good enough shape for that, raising cattle for that purpose is much more meticulous.

But a lot of the hides are used for different purposes, quite a bit of it is processed up and used in the creation of dog foods, cat foods, and yes, some jerky Posted Image

Because of the way non-Kosher hides are processed (the animal is routinely dunked into hot water to soften the hide before it is stripped) it's pretty unsuitable for anything else.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 05:29 PM

Quote:
I suspect that cows being used for leather are good for beef also, maybe not as good as cows raised specifically for beef, but still good.

I hope I'm wrong too; perhaps I should have specifically stated that the meat might not be fit for "human" consumption, but might go into pet food, or "horrors" animal feed -- which now is presumably banned in view of BSE.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 07:52 PM

A lot of it goes into women's shoe closets Posted Image

Does anyone remember an SNL skit called the Leather Report?

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 10:56 PM

How about footballs, baseballs, volleyballs, bicycle seats, baseball gloves, etc.... Are there standards for the quality of cowhide for the manufacture of these types of things?

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Carol_S

Carol_S

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 11:53 PM

*looks guiltily at her 30+ pairs of shoes while hearing "moo's" from the distant pasture :b

heh

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 12:47 AM

Ever been to Daytona during bike week? Thats fifty years of American cattle leftovers in one town. Posted Image

That reminds me..60 degrees!!! I'm ridin' this weekend!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 11:22 AM

Part of the dunked hide is used for what are called secondary process goods.. like sporting equipment, etc.. things where their lack of luster doesn't matter as much Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 12:41 PM

Quote:
How about footballs

But aren't (American) footballs called "pigskins"? Suggesting that they are not made of cowhide, but of pighide. Where's the bacon? Posted Image

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 11:12 PM

I think they are.. or maybe were. Pigskin has a different grain to it, like a footbal.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 02:10 AM

As long as we all don't get free leather pants. That would be a scary sight! Posted Image

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,329 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 02:58 AM

Hmm witty...very Steven Wright

"how come it's a penny for thoughts but you have to put your two cents in.....someone's making a penny?"

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:48 AM

Ever been to Daytona during bike week? Thats fifty years of American cattle leftovers in one town.

Garrett is right, I've seen it with my own eyes. You can almost smell the leather as you ride into Daytona.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:55 AM

This might be a bit gross to some people but cow hides are used in the production of Jello.

http://www.snopes.co...dient/jello.htm

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 07:23 AM

Oh yes, I forgot gellatin is made from animals. It's basically the same stuff you find in canned ham.

So, for those of you preparing vegetarian meals, make sure to leave out the jell-o.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
The Big Mac. Have you ever tried that beef that chews like leather?

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted March 26 2004 - 11:37 PM

Aren't cows outside a lot of the time? When it's
raining, do cows go up to the farmhouse, "Let us in! We're all wearing
leather! Open the door! We're going to ruin the whole outfit here!"

what's a leather thread without some classic Seinfeld?

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow