What's new

With all the beef eaten in this country... (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If I had to guess, either the skin of cows bred for beef isn't suitable for use as leather, or the slaughter process for cows does something that damages the skin making it unsuitable for use as leather; the flip side being that in processing a carcess to get the leather, the meat is not properly preserved for consumption.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If Yee-Ming is wrong, and I sincerely hope he is because that would be a shame for all that leather/beef to go to waste depending on the cow's purpose, then I think you just have to look at where it's going.

I suspect that cows being used for leather are good for beef also, maybe not as good as cows raised specifically for beef, but still good. I do know that good leather comes from cows raised in certain environments, such as not being exposed to barbed wire which scratches the leather. There may be only certain breeds of cows that give high quality leather I'd bet. Then consider this, my couch took upwards of 7 cows, yet I probably don't eat near that much a year. My car, plus shoes and belts, might equal another cow, although I imagine there'd be some left over. One cow can probably make several leather jackets because of how thin it is stretched.

Still, perhaps the cost of the leather isn't in the cow, but rather the work needed to make it usable. It's got to be skinned properly, cleaned, tanned, stretched, died, etc., and then cutting and sewing probably takes more costly equipment compared to most materials, and the process is longer. So lots of leather may go to waste just because there's not the demand for it.

I dunno, this is all just speculation on my part.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
well, a lot of it doesn't make it to leather jackets, because, quite frankly, it isn't in good enough shape for that, raising cattle for that purpose is much more meticulous.

But a lot of the hides are used for different purposes, quite a bit of it is processed up and used in the creation of dog foods, cat foods, and yes, some jerky :)

Because of the way non-Kosher hides are processed (the animal is routinely dunked into hot water to soften the hide before it is stripped) it's pretty unsuitable for anything else.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I hope I'm wrong too; perhaps I should have specifically stated that the meat might not be fit for "human" consumption, but might go into pet food, or "horrors" animal feed -- which now is presumably banned in view of BSE.

John Watson

Screenwriter
A lot of it goes into women's shoe closets :D

Does anyone remember an SNL skit called the Leather Report?

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
How about footballs, baseballs, volleyballs, bicycle seats, baseball gloves, etc.... Are there standards for the quality of cowhide for the manufacture of these types of things?

Carol_S

Auditioning
*looks guiltily at her 30+ pairs of shoes while hearing "moo's" from the distant pasture :b

heh

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Ever been to Daytona during bike week? Thats fifty years of American cattle leftovers in one town. :D

That reminds me..60 degrees!!! I'm ridin' this weekend!:D:D:D:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Part of the dunked hide is used for what are called secondary process goods.. like sporting equipment, etc.. things where their lack of luster doesn't matter as much :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think they are.. or maybe were. Pigskin has a different grain to it, like a footbal.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hmm witty...very Steven Wright

"how come it's a penny for thoughts but you have to put your two cents in.....someone's making a penny?"

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Garrett is right, I've seen it with my own eyes. You can almost smell the leather as you ride into Daytona.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, I forgot gellatin is made from animals. It's basically the same stuff you find in canned ham.

So, for those of you preparing vegetarian meals, make sure to leave out the jell-o.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The Big Mac. Have you ever tried that beef that chews like leather?

Peace Out~:D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Aren't cows outside a lot of the time? When it's
raining, do cows go up to the farmhouse, "Let us in! We're all wearing
leather! Open the door! We're going to ruin the whole outfit here!"

what's a leather thread without some classic Seinfeld?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.