Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing Surround System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Steve Mitchell

Steve Mitchell

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 04:27 AM

Hello,
My name is Steve Mitchell. This is my first time contacting the forum. I am an audiophile by nature and would like help choosing a surround receiver and speakers. Currently I have a stereo system over ten years old -- 50w Luxman receiver, Polk monitor 7 speakers on stands, good quality cables/interconnects, and a new Pioneer DVD player that plays SACD/DVD audio formats. I am happy with the sound but want to step up to surround sound. I was thinking of spending roughly $1000-$1200. I will be playing cds more often than dvds, so the sound quality is the most important criteria in choosing a new system. The room I will be setting up in is about 18ft x 14ft, having walls of different construction (glass, brick, drywall, and a partial divider wall).

1) Would I be better off with a multichannel integrated amp (if they exist) because I never play the radio?

2) Would I be sacrificing sound depth/richness by starting over with small surround speakers plus subwoofer vs. adding three more Polks to the speakers I already have?

3) What model power source and speakers do you recommend for my situation?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.