Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jasper jig question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael__M

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 08:52 AM

I just got my Jasper 200 in the mail and I am a bit puzzled. I thought I had it all down. If I want a 4.5" hole I put the pin in the hole with the 4 on the bottom and the .5 on the side and bam...got it. Now I see this writing on the top that says "Example...for a 9 15/16 circle, choose this pivot" and the darn arrow is pointing at the 8 15/16 pivot hole. What is the deal with that? Am I just totally missing something? It has been a long day, but I didn't think I was that far gone already. Michael Moon
A mind expanded by new experiences can never return to it's old dimensions.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 12:00 PM

Just chose the whole inch you want from the numbers on the bottom row, and the fraction of inch, from the numbers going up the side. If you're still confused, make a test cut in some scrap material and measure it.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Ben L C

Ben L C

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 02:21 PM

I just got one to and their example is off by an inch. Quality Control.Posted Image

Just put a mark at where the outside of the hole will be and see if the outside of the 1/4" bit hits it. If so you are good to go.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Michael__M

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 02:26 PM

That's what I thought. I just couldn't believe they would allow such an obvious error to be printed on the face of their product. I will double check it to make sure but man, time to get a new proofer for Jasper.
A mind expanded by new experiences can never return to it's old dimensions.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 04:01 PM

yeah i had a good laugh at that, good thing i checked twice before i cut Posted Image
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   perry web

perry web

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 06:31 AM

ummm...I do not have one of the jigs or any other for that matter. Just made my own. But if you if you are using a 1/2 dia bit....i am just thinking out loud here but in their example wont the disk that gets cut out be 8 15/16 and the hole 9 15/16. maybe their example was for making a round disk not a thru hole?? just a thought. I may be wrong, It might be the opposite. can not tell w/o looking at it.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 06:39 AM

no if you are using a 1/2 inch bit you will cut a hole 1/4 bigger then you wanted. And all the info on the jig is for 1/4 inch bits
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   perry web

perry web

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 06:45 AM

oh. like said never have used one. just was assuming 1/2 since that was what i used and the jig sticker was exactly 1" off. other than a very minor qa problem these jigs are good? I might pick one up some day. my hard board w/ a screw worked but was pretty much a one time use jig.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 08:46 AM

I've been using mine for over a year now. It's gotten me through a dozen or more builds. Works every time.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted March 24 2004 - 09:19 AM

Perry, the hardboard + nail does work just as well (I scribble down the bit and cut diameter on the various nail holes for future use). The Jasper jig is accurate and saves some time (no measuring from bit->nail).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users