What's new

Sky King in the works! (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Spoke with EAA, which controls the Sky King series and they confirmed for me that they are working on putting the shows out on DVD. They currently sell tapes with 4 episodes per tape and I told them that for DVDs, people want season sets. If anyone wants to reiterate that to them, the can be reached at:

www.eaa.org or
800-843-3612

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mark To, thank you very much for keeping us in the loop on this and "Loretta Young". I'm too young to have watched these in their original runs, and I know these shows primarily based on their reputation.

This is great news for fans of classic shows. So much great TV was produced in the '50s.

Maybe there is hope for series like "Perry Mason" after all.

Steve

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they release Sky King in season sets. I'd buy them all. Now if they would only release Fury I'd be all set in the nostalgia department.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I notice that, according to DVDProfiler's online list, "Sky King, vol. 1" is coming out May 31. Looks like only 4 episodes. Didn't see any news about it at tvshowsondvd, though.

Also (noting CherylWI's post above), I'd pick up Fury, too.

Sat. mornngs-- my sister's show was Fury; mine was "Sky King"

DG

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The May 31st Sky King release is from Alpha Video and contains four episodes that have fallen into the public domain. Critics Choice Video also offers several Sky King volumes with public domian episodes. There is a supposedly authorized set of 72 episodes available at skyking.com.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder why these kinds of pricing situations exist?

In another unrelated thread discussing "The West Point Story" (another 1950's TV series) we found DVDs available for something like $275.

It's abundantly clear from the DVD marketplace that the price elasticity of demand for DVDs is such that studio revenues are not maximized at such high prices. If it were so, the "regular" studios, to optimize their revenue, would also price them high. Why do "private studios" do this? They are reducing their own revenue, are they not?

DG

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The big studios either own the manufacturing facilites or get bulk rates by having the discs mass produced. They have a nice distribution network, promotional outlets, etc. These little guys don't have any of that. They'll be lucky to move a thousand copies, so the prices have to be pretty high if they hope to even cover their costs.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Just continuing to think about this...

I would think that manufacturing is relatively easily contracted. The "catch" may be the distribution, as you suggest. But, on the other hand, consider all the "no-name" DVDs. You find them at lots of mass market locations-- and for cheap. Can't they plug into the same distribution channels?

DG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks