Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sayings or statements that don't make sense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#1 of 157 OFFLINE   Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:09 AM

Ever heard a saying or statement that really doesn't make much sense to you? I've also wondered how these sayings come about and the origins of it all?
  • "That's the way the cookie crumbles"
Which way does a cookie crumble anyway? Is it always the same way a cookie suppose to crumble? What happens if a cookie doesn't crumble, what happens if it dissolves? I don't like cookies anyway but I do like lamingtons. Mmmmmmmm.... lamingtons...
  • "As happy as Larry"
Larry, who the f#*k is Larry?

Can anyone think of anymore? Please add to the list.

#2 of 157 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:19 AM

Someone finds something after searching for a while, and comments that "it's always in the last place you look".

Well, of course it is, dumbass. Why would you continue looking after you found it?
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 157 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:21 AM

I always felt "that's the way the cookie crumbles" to not be specific to how the cookie crumbles, but rather THAT it crumbles.

The idea of having something good (a sweet cookie) and how it can be fleeting (a cookie can crumble). If/when you have something good, and it crumbles (as it might be prone to do)- someone might say "that's the way the cookie crumbles)...

In other words, don't get too broken up over the loss of something, especially if it was in it's nature to collapse in the first place.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#4 of 157 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,640 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:24 AM

"As happy as Larry"

Never heard that one. I have heard "As happy as a lark," but that doesn't make much sense either.

"Stop crying over spilled milk." (who would cry over this?)
"Don't tell Grandma how to suck eggs." (????)
"As the crow flies." (why a crow?)
"Neat as a pin." (??)
"He keeps coming back like a bad penny." (what makes a penny bad?)
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 157 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Someone finds something after searching for a while, and comments that "it's always in the last place you look".

That's the same person who hands you picture of himself "when I was younger."

#6 of 157 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 07:19 AM

I always thought the "way the cookie crumbles" referred to the random nature of things and that some things are utterly unpredictable. (In the sense that you cannot know exactly where the "fault lines" are in a cookie when it crumbles.)

#7 of 157 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
"As happy as a lark,"

A lark is a bird who spends a lot of time singing. Hence, they're assumed to be happy.

Quote:
"Stop crying over spilled milk." (who would cry over this?)

It's actually "Don't cry over spilled milk", and it really means don't sweat the little stuff. I have to teach this concept to my kids all of the time (and I've known plenty of adults who never learned the concept).

Quote:
"As the crow flies." (why a crow?)

Crows are rumered to always fly the most direct path (although I don't know if it's true or not).
Scott

#8 of 157 OFFLINE   Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

• 1,367 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
A lark is a bird who spends a lot of time singing. Hence, they're assumed to be happy.

Quote:
It's actually "Don't cry over spilled milk", and it really means don't sweat the little stuff. I have to teach this concept to my kids all of the time (and I've known plenty of adults who never learned the concept).

Quote:
Crows are rumered to always fly the most direct path (although I don't know if it's true or not).

Damn you, practical-reasoning-made-easy!!!...Damn you to hell!!!Posted Image No, seriously, thank you D. Scott MacDonald for helping us to appreciate that things aren't always as stupid as they appear. If one is willing to search, there's an explanation for just about anything that we don't understand.
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

"For the first few minutes of the film, I had accidently listened to the Dolby Digital track." - Ron Epstein (HTF)

#9 of 157 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,640 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 22 2004 - 08:48 AM

I understand the meaning behind the sayings, but don't understand why we need them (or why they were created in the first place).

Why not just say "don't worry over small things" rather than some folksy-cute slang like "don't cry over spilled milk"?

I'd think plain English works just fine over some non-sensical proverb.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 157 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 08:50 AM

"Stupid is as Stupid does"

Perhaps I'm too stupid to figure it out.

When little Forest was asked if he "was stupid" that was his reply. I never did quite understand that.

#11 of 157 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
I'd think plain English works just fine over some non-sensical proverb.

I bet that you and your friends make up your own vocabulary and sayings all of the time. I mean, why is there a term called "Toss the salad" when we could just as easily say "". It's just how humans work.
Scott

#12 of 157 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 09:34 AM

I forget what it's called, but there's a word that describes when a word is used and then is changed by people misspronouncing it.

This is also true with phrases: I'm not 100% positive, but I believe this is where the phrase "For Pete's Sake" comes from...

It was originally "For the sake of peace" - meaning, to make peaceful.
I believe people started shortening it by saying "For Peace Sake"
which was misheard and turned into "For Pete's Sake"

One of my favorites is "Letting the cat out of the bag". That one goes back to when farmers sold pigs. They'd put them in sacks and sell them. Sometimes (to make an easy buck), the farmer would put cats (which were more plentiful and cheap) in the bag and trick the people who bought them.

When the person would get home, they'd open the bag and the cat would come out, thus revealing the 'secret'. That's why we say that we let the cat out of the bag when a secret is revealed.

#13 of 157 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
In other words, don't get too broken up over the loss of something, especially if it was in it's nature to collapse in the first place.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Posted Image

Seriously, "That's the way the cookie crumbles" means "What will be, will be." meaning (as Vince explained) that you shouldn't worry about something that was meant to be.

#14 of 157 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 10:18 AM

I know I'm going to be laughed at for this, but here goes:

Quote:
Music is the soundtrack of our lifes

I don't even know where to begin.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#15 of 157 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,334 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 10:20 AM

The Region 1, "Dude, you're a dick"

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#16 of 157 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:18 AM

I had trouble with "That's a no-brainer" the first few times I heard it. I couldn't tell if it meant something so simple that even a brainless dolt could make the right decision, or if it meant something so stupid that only a brainless dolt would be caught dead doing it.

It didn't help matters any that I first heard this phrase used by a brainless dolt:
Quote:
"Sell empty boxes so we can book revenue this quarter, and then spend twice as much next quarter by sending engineers on-site to fix everything? Well, that's a no-brainer!"
You see my dilema. It wasn't until I got sent on-site to fix everything that I realized "no-brainer" presumably meant the former.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#17 of 157 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
why is there a term called "Toss the salad" when we could just as easily say ""
Does the FCC now have jurisdiction over HTF? Posted Image

What I want to know is who makes up these terms/phrases, and how do they become well-known enough to be self-sustaining?

#18 of 157 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:37 AM

"And Bob's your uncle"

Quite a popular one this side of the pond. It means to get a result (plug it in, switch it on and bob's your uncle). No idea who Bob is though or why I'd want him as an uncle.
No longer here.

#19 of 157 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:38 AM

Actually, thinking about it, I already DO have an uncle Bob.
No longer here.

#20 of 157 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:43 AM

Hey, and I am an Uncle Bob......and I like "look before you leap" always a good idea.

Forum Nav Content I Follow