-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Concerns about amp/electronics and old home wiring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Troy R

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 03:18 AM

My wife and I are buying our first home. The house is 80 years old and most of the wiring is still knob and tube style. Should I be concerned about plugging my electronics into these outlets since there is no ground present? Should I use a surge protector, cheater plug, something else? Or not use my stereo at all? Is there anything I should be concerned about until I can get the outlets rewired?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I can live without my stereo for a few months! Posted Image

Thanks,
Troy

#2 of 4 Troy R

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 11:43 PM

Help? Anyone?

#3 of 4 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,581 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 01:20 AM

Troy,

I live in a house that's more than 100 years old and some of the wiring is more than 80 yrs old too (at each reconstruction, we're obliged by regulations to change the wiring).

You can start using it without many problems, I think, for so do I. But you better get a professional opinion based on inspection of what you have there. Some parts could really be bad or unsafe. That's especially important if you bring (or going to have Posted Image ) kids in that house.

It won't hurt your equipment, though.

Cees

#4 of 4 Troy R

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info Cees! I'll have to just live with it until I can get the house rewired.

Thanks again!
Troy