Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What are the chances for the New Mission Impossible series coming to dvd?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 03:11 AM

I know we will probably get the original MI series in the next year or so(or at least when the new movie comes out). But, I am wondering if anyone thinks we might get the new series on dvd?

Thanks!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 04:09 AM

If you are talking about the 1980s series I would really doubt it. They would not do it until after the original and I doubt they will get through 7 full seasons of that.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 05:10 AM

You never know. It only ran a year and a half, so it wouldn't be hard to put them out.

I actually liked the 1988-90 version quite a bit.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:11 PM

I have never seen the original Mission Impossible (but would like to). I did grow up watching the New Mission impossible, and thought it was the coolest show ever. I would love to see these shows again.

(I remember the episode where the first female was killed - that episode really made me sad.)
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Billy P. Floyd

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:11 PM

I'll put a vote in for the new series because I never knew it existed back then and would like to check them out.

I cannot wait for the first 7 seasons to get out on DVD.
Hope they get released this year.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 05:15 PM

I'd love to have the new ones. Me liking the new ones is undoubtably one of the prime reasons it got cancelled. The old ones are probably the biggest thing I'm waiting for on DVD right now.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 05 2005 - 03:12 AM

The original series is superior in terms of writing, regular cast, acting, and guest stars. The new series only wins in terms of both production values and Lalo Schifrin doing a first-rate modernized remake of the various themes he composed for the old show.

I liked how Jim Phelps was able to abandon the records and tape recordings he was using in the 1960s and 70s in favor of laserdiscs in the late 1980s version.

The original female member of the new IMF team was killed off in the middle of the first season when Jane Badler (previously Diana in the "V" series) left the show.

Original series regulars came back to guest star: Lynda Day George (who had not aged well) as mistress of disguise Casey showed up in one episode. The late Greg Morris appeared as retired electronics whiz Barney Collier in 3 episodes, including a 2-parter. It gave him an opportunity to work with his son Phil Morris -- a regular on the second series.

When Bsrney was murdered in an explosion, I remember Phelps getting a little misty over the death of his old team member.
The second Mission: Impossible series maintained the spirit of the original. The movies with Tom Cruise as Ethan completely ruined the concept by essentially making Tom's character a "one-man show". Sure in the first film there was Ving Rhames to assume the muscleman role and Jon Voight (?!) as an ill-chosen replacement in the Phelps role for Peter Graves (then busy working on A & E's Biography series). But most of the current Impossible Missions Force in the first M.I. were killed off early in the story, making Ethan a fugitive trying to clear his name for the rest of film. TEAMWORK is what is the backbone behind the Mission: Impossible that I loved. This wasn't supposed to be a James Bond or Simon Templar scenario! Posted Image

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Jon Voight (?!) as an ill-chosen replacement in the Phelps role for Peter Graves (then busy working on A & E's Biography series).
Not that Graves would have done the film anyway. I remember reading him comment about how much he hated what they did to the character, and when I saw the film I could see why.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted February 09 2005 - 12:40 PM

Quote:
I liked how Jim Phelps was able to abandon the records and tape recordings he was using in the 1960s and 70s in favor of laserdiscs in the late 1980s version.

You said it, Jeff# Posted Image Remember this line from the orignal MI?

"Please dispose of this recording in the usual manner. Good Luck, Dan" (that was from the 1st season with Steven Hill). Of course, the one that most remember was "This recording will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Good Luck, Jim" (was that 5 sec? Maybe my memory's gone Posted Image )

I agree with the "teamwork" quote as well. The movies never matched that concept of the original series.

I'd like to see the new MI again. Since I haven't seen it in syndication in a long time, I think I'd "blind buy" that set when/if it gets to DVD.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 09 2005 - 04:47 PM

The first season of the old series had various intervals of time for the recording to self-destruct. Five seconds eventually became the standard even before Steven Hill was fired.

By the way, you can call me Jeff. the " # " part of my username somehow had the " 1" chopped off when I created it a couple of weeks ago! Since there are so many Jeffs here, my choice was Jeff#1 Posted Image

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:03 AM

I also hated what they did to Phelps in the movie?!? And they did make it almost a 1-man mission. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
I also hated what they did to Phelps in the movie?!? And they did make it almost a 1-man mission.

But, at least there was some handwaving at the team concept in that movie. They dispensed with it completely with M:I2. Posted Image

Hell, "Sneakers" makes for a better M:I film than M:I

Man, I didn't even know that they did another series in the 80s. I would have thought I would have remembered that...

Jason

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
Hell, "Sneakers" makes for a better M:I film than M:I
I liked the movie Sneakers, and I have it on DVD. I certainly don't want either Mission: Impossible.

Probably one of the worst episodes of the otherwise decent 1980s Mission: Impossible series featured guest star Paula Kelly (better known from the first season of Night Court) as a voodoo priestess!

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Billy P. Floyd

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 04:01 PM

Does Paramount even know these forums exist ?
Has anybody contacted them over the phone or by snail mail ?
Sure would be nice to know our efforts and wishes are being considered.
I guess they could look at TVSHOWSonDVD.com for the numbers.
But then again do they even know about that place ?
Thanks !

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 06:19 PM

Quote:
Paula Kelly (better known from the first season of Night Court) as a voodoo priestess!

Not the first time she's played this type of role. She played a housekeeper with an affinity for the vaudun in the third season of The Golden Girls. The gals fear her curse when they have to fire her for being a poor housekeeper.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 10 2005 - 07:58 PM

Eeeech, I never liked The Golden Girls. Posted Image

Although it would be interesting to see what a younger Paula looked like in 1968 when she appeared as a dance instructor in a sketch on The Carol Burnett Show!

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 02:48 AM

Actually Jane Badler ("V") JOINED the cast of the 1980's revival series to replace Terry Markwell's character who was killed in the line of duty.

The 1980's series was far better than the two poor feature films that followed. Maybe there is hope for the third one...

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Does Paramount even know these forums exist ?
Has anybody contacted them over the phone or by snail mail ?
Sure would be nice to know our efforts and wishes are being considered.
I guess they could look at TVSHOWSonDVD.com for the numbers.
But then again do they even know about that place ?
Thanks !

Paramount knows of HTF and TVShowsOnDVD.com, don't worry. Problem is that there are some changes going on there right now, so people are having to adjust.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
Problem is that there are some changes going on there right now, so people are having to adjust.

Dave, I hope the changes are for the better?? Maybe, you or Gord want the job. Posted Image

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Billy P. Floyd

Billy P. Floyd

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 04:53 PM

Cool, Thanks Gord Lacey Posted Image

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow