Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good place to sell used car?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 12:38 PM

Hey what advice can you give me about selling my car. Where's a good place to advertize? I've already put an ad on Auto Trader and the Audi enthusiasts website. I'm thinking about the local paper. Any other suggestions? The cheaper the better!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   James Gillespie

James Gillespie

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 05:26 AM

Have you tried CarMax? There's one out on Rt. 28 near Rt. 50 that is reasonably close to you.

James

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 12:33 AM

I won't do as well from Carmax as I would froma private party, will I? Won't they offer me trade-in value? The difference between trade-in and private party sale is something like $2500 on this car. I'm not willing to take that hit. OTOH I've heard that Carmax pays much more than trade-in on vehicles.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 01:29 AM

Are you selling the Audi?

A couple of years ago when I sold a car, I just went to CarMax. I got less than I would have if I tried to sell it myself, but the process was very easy - I took the car to CarMax, waited an hour, got a check, and got a ride home. There was no: setting up times to meet people, having them not show up, letting them drive the car, letting them learn how to drive stick on the car, being strung along as they're waiting for their tax return, etc. I was selling an Integra, and that car, at the price point I would have sold at, would have attracted every wannabe Vin Diesel and Paul Walker around. I didn't want that type of hassle.

That being said, when I found my last used car, I found it in the local paper. Autotrader is good, too, as you can post pictures and such. I saw a few good ones on eBay, but I was only interested in eBay listings by locals and reputable local dealers - I wanted to be able to check out the car in person before buying.

Also, beware of the cashiers check scam that people are using to buy cars. Someone agrees to buy your car, gives you a cashier check, takes the car, and then you find out the cashiers check is no good. Before accepting a cashiers check, even before meeting the person to exchange car and check, as them for the bank name and the number on the check. Then call the bank and verify that the check is good.

Good luck!