-

Photo
- - - - -

best value amp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 01:02 AM

If any of you could point me in the right direction, that would be incredibly helpful. I just finished building a subwoofer box for my sub, now all I need is the amplifier. sub is 1500 watts rms. If any of you know a decent amp (doesnt have to be ultimate quality) that will give it anywhere from 500 x 1 at 4 ohms (or more power, because the more power the better). I am just sort of switching over to home audio from car audio, and it really is a whole new world. Thank you very much.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 01:14 AM

I believe SVS sells amps like you are describing at a low cost. You might check them out.

JimmyK

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 01:27 AM

I feel like a poor guy surrounded by everyone hear with very nice expensive equipment but I am just a kid doing a DIY project with 300 or less to spend on an amp. The cheapest one from SVS is 389 + shipping, and doesnt fit my impedence need. Any more help woiuld be very much appreciated

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 01:59 AM

Did a more thorough search and came upon a post where someone used a Nady XA900 to power his tempest. It got excellent reviews, and fits my bill perfectly. Any other input on this amplifier?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 01:02 AM

How about looking at http://www.partsexpress.com in there amplifier section.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 10:11 AM

This amp from Carvin does 600 watts at 4 ohms, factory-direct for $319. You can probably find one on e-Bay even cheaper, or something else suitable from Peavey, Gemini, and other lower-end pro –audio companies.

Posted Image

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
Did a more thorough search and came upon a post where someone used a Nady XA900 to power his tempest. It got excellent reviews, and fits my bill perfectly. Any other input on this amplifier?

Tyler,

I also own one of the Nady power amps. I have the XA-1100, which is up a bit from the XA-900. It's a very good amp. Very good sound performance, quiet "turn-on" so your subwoofer doesn't go "thump" etc. However, the only complaint I have is with the fan noise. But, like most other power amps, the fans are usually quite loud. Most people who are bothered by the sound end up replacing the amps with quieter 80MM fans that are sold for computer cases.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 03:31 PM

Tyler,

I have a new Carvin DCM 1000 (similar to the picture in Waynes's post) that I'd like to sell. It's rated at 1000 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms. If you're interested you can contact me@ cgaffman@cs.com

Carl