Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

what should I ask for my used set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 10:22 AM

I have a 1999 model mitsubishi 45" silver series, it's in great shape but I bought a new 55" to replace it. I don't know what to sell the damn thing for, I ran an ad in the paper at 500 bucks but the response has been less than impressive.
A coworker offered me 350 for it, but that seems a little low, or am I expecting too much?
here's what she looks like, terrible pic.
www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/tv.jpg

it's not an HDTV set, which I think hurts me a lot right now. But it's still a great set with a lot of use left I think.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 10:42 AM

Not to lower your spirits, but yes. Among HT enthusiasts it's an axiom that there's no such thing as a "good deal" when it comes to used displays -- especially RPTVs, which wear out faster than their direct-view counterparts. In addition, it's an NTSC-only model with no widescreen capability in an era when DTV and DVD are controlling the dialogue and pointing toward the future. Your coworker's offer of $350 seems generous. I'd take it. Beats having to find some way of disposing of the set.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 11:25 AM

SOLD! Posted Image
thanks for the advice.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Dan M

Dan M

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 11:47 AM

$350 sounds very reasonable for that set.

I'm going to be selling a Panasonic 56" HD ready widescreen soon and I doubt I'll get $800 for it. It's only 4 years old. I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I paid for it.:b

time to go front projection......Posted Image

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 09:10 PM

No, front PJ isn't for me. I tried it for a day and promptly bought a new mitsu RPTV and love it. Wish it was a DLP or LCD, but those are just too much right now. I helped him load up the TV tonight, glad it found a home, it's still a pretty good old set.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 03:25 AM

I'm almost in the same situation. An option that I'm considering is donating my old set to a hospice, half-way house, etc. The tax benefits will exceed what I could sell the unit for outright and I get to feel good, knowing it will be appreciated.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 03:35 AM

I just upgraded to a Sanyo Z2 projector with a 104" screen and sold my 4 yr old 61" Hitachi Ultravision(not HD) for $500.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Dick White

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 04:45 AM

The $350 sounds pretty good for the 42" set that isn't WS. There aren't that many analog sets at dealers these days, but a buyer would be able to get a brand new 36" direct view for around $500. You might want to check with a dealer you trust to get another opinion (OOPS, sorry -- I missed the line in your post where you had sold it). I got $775 for my 57" Pioneer analog RPTV bought in late 1998, but it was widescreen and still had a great picture. It was a great DVD-watching machine, but I was ready to move on to digital. Dealers told me I shouldn't have a problem getting the $825 I initially asked, but I just wanted $750 plus the cost of the ad and the asking price allowed me to deal with a buyer who wanted to negotiate price. I had it advertised for about 3 weeks when it sold (local weekly "trader" with no cost for the ad until it sells). I really thought I might have to go lower, but I probably would have waited another year to upgrade if I hadn't sold it for what I did. I'm really glad it sold because I am blown away by my new HDTV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users