Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Neil Young's "Greendale" dvd-audio at Best Buy now...........

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 08:29 AM

.......if anybody cares.

Kind of confusing packaging though: seems to make a big deal over the stereo tracks (has a strange sticker with a double graphic of "Dvd-audio stereo" emblazoned on it, almost like someone hit the repeat button on their graphics software program); elsewhere the label proclaims the addition of a 5.1 surround mix too. Both are at 96/24 resolution. Cost was $14.99.

HFR review here.

Wasn't there supposed to be a set of dvd-audio titles from Neil that were strictly stereo, using the 192/24 format?

BTW: I wonder what "A Horse With No Name" would sound like in surround? I like that dreamy song a lot, and it reminds me of when I lived in tiny Page, Arizona waaaaaay back in '73 (I found out while living there that the desert can be a really beautiful place).

LJ

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   BillSherbon

BillSherbon

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 12:39 PM

I found this regarding the upcoming Neil Young releases:
---------
Each album presented in 176 kHz/24-bit Advanced Resolution Stereo for DVD-Audio players. A 48 kHz/24-bit LPCM version is included for playback on any DVD-Video player.
wsm-us.com/media/releases.lasso

(I don't have enough posts yet to put live links in, sorry)
---------

No surround, nuts. According to this site these will be out April 13:
rhino.com/news/upcoming.lasso
Bill Sherbon

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JackJD

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 04:47 PM

Picked it up Tuesday...

Another DVD-A that the hi-rez doesn't work correctly on the Pioneer 563-a (same as T-Rex...)

I would be upset if I didn't have a couple of other players that will play it correctly.

Just a heads up for you 563-a owners...

By the way, although the sound quality is fine, unfortunately, I believe this album (musically/ lyrically/ melodically/ arrangement-wise) to be pretty weak...

I like Neil Young...

You better REALLY like Neil Young... A LOT... to really enjoy this one.

...Enjoy the Music... -JD
"When you've seen beyond yourself -then you may find, peace of mind, Is waiting there..."  -Within You Without You

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
Each album presented in 176 kHz/24-bit Advanced Resolution Stereo for DVD-Audio players.

Fantastic!
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up Lance. I will be looking for this one today. Having not bought the CD, waiting for the DVD-A that was announced, I am not really sure what to expect.

Anyone have thoughts on the music?

J

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 11:06 AM

I love -- love -- Neil Young and couldn't be more bored by "Greendale." By and large, it's a bunch of Jimmy Reed-based blues riffs stretched out in 6 minute blocks. And not in a good, hypnotic, Crazy Horse way, either. Lyrically impeneterable, musically stagnant. Doesn't really hold a candle to even mid-level Young.

I'm tempted by most any DVD-A and I saw this a week ago and just walked on by.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 10:18 AM

According to Rhino's web page, On the Beach and American Stars & Bars will be multichannel. I guess that's what the hold up was.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Van Patton

Van Patton

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 02:45 PM

Wow Stu, I love Greendale!!! I think it is Neil's best work in a long time.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 12:26 AM

Lance, "A Horse With No Name" is NOT Neil Young. It is America off of their first record. It does pretty much sound exactly like him though. I LOVE America's DVD-Audio of Homecoming.
Charles