-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

anyone get Warner's "The Mummy"? (Hammer's 1959 version)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 12:06 AM

I cannot find this disc at local retailers and I've searched the internet for reviews... nothing!

Has anyone picked this disc up yet?
If so, how does it look/sound?

Thanks

#2 of 41 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 12:45 AM

I believe the release date was changed to next Tuesday, October 9th. Warner's B-to-B website lists that date.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#3 of 41 StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 01:34 AM

This was indeed released yesterday (I picked mine up at Dave's Video, although that's a little far for you to drive).

I am so excited about having this in my hands. I picked up Terminator yesterday as well, and haven't had time to check out either, but the title I'm most excited about is Hammer's Mummy!

#4 of 41 Abraham

Abraham

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 03 2001 - 01:50 AM

Not here. I pre-ordered it for $10.47 from DVDPlanet.com, and they now show its status as "coming soon".

#5 of 41 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 02:41 AM

Well, some retailers ( dvdempire.com ) finally have the box art up, but I still can't find this title at any local retailers. Additionally, no reviews have turned up on the web yet either.
Bummer.

#6 of 41 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 09:14 AM

I knew most B&M stores would not have it so I preordered mine awhile ago Posted Image . I popped it in the player the other day just to check it out briefly. The picture quality seems to be the best I've ever seen of this film and yes it is ANAMORPHIC widescreen. The sound is adequate although a little tinny especially with the musical score (although Hammer's musical scores tend to be a little harsh sounding) but I didn't expect a rousing new mix for this film anyway.

Posted Image

All in all as a huge HAMMER fan I am very happy to finally see this on DVD. Now if we could just kick Warner in the ass to get them to release their other HAMMER classics.

Jim
Death before Streaming!

#7 of 41 Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 09:44 AM

My Mummy disc from DVDEmpire came yesterday. Haven't even had time to take the shrinkwrap off, but I'll be looking at it this weekend. Hope you get yours soon.

------------------
Mike Brantley
Our Theater:
Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

#8 of 41 DeborahK

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 11:38 AM

So, have you all watched your Mummy DVDs yet? Any more opinions on this title? I read a really good on-line review of this film today and now I am wondering if this is worth buying. I have never seen this version of the film.

Deborah

------------------

#9 of 41 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 11:57 AM

Here's another review : http://www.dvdtalk.c.../s340mummy.html

How can a DVD purchase that contains Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing be wrong Posted Image. Cheers.

PS..I probly wont get to my Mummy till this weekend Posted Image

------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#10 of 41 DeborahK

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 12:39 PM

Jeff,

Just the review I read! I have not seen many Hammer films, with the exception of the Hammer version of The Phantom of the Opera, a some what muddled but none the less rather interesting take on the POTO story. and I know Christopher Lee, of course, but am not so familiar with Peter Cushing. Still, I like a lot of horror movies and enjoy many older films, so perhaps I should give this one a go.

Deborah

p.s. I have not seen the original The Mummy in more than 30 years, but I remember being pretty terrified by it the night my brother and I watch it on a late night movie show.

------------------

#11 of 41 George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 03:47 PM

Warner has their work cut out for them. With THE MUMMY out, next they must do these Hammer films:

CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
HORROR OF DRACULA
DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE
TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
DRACULA A.D. 1972
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH
SHE
MOON ZERO TWO

What are you waiting for Warner??? For another MUMMY review, see www.dvddrive-in.com.

[Edited last by George_Reis on October 11, 2001 at 10:48 PM]

#12 of 41 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 04:18 PM

I've never seen Hammer's The Mummy. Sounds pretty cool - you really can't go wrong with Lee and Cushing. I'll check it out!

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#13 of 41 Perry Williams

Perry Williams

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 12 2001 - 12:07 AM

Jack, if I'm not mistaken, was Charlton Heston in this film?
If so then you know why you can't find it.

#14 of 41 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted October 12 2001 - 03:14 AM

Perry,

Chuck wasnt in the Mummy (1959) so the Heston conspiracy doesnt fly with this one. Posted Image

Cheers.

------------------
--Bernie Faulkner

--Bernie Faulkner

#15 of 41 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted October 12 2001 - 03:31 AM

Jeff,
Perry is well aware that Mr. Heston is not in this movie. He's just trying to get a reaction from me.

Anyway... I finally got this DVD from dvdmepire... very psyched watch it this weekend!

(I'm also psyched to create an Anchor Bay-like keepcase cover for it)

#16 of 41 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted October 12 2001 - 04:10 AM

Jack,

Make sure you photoshop Chuck Heston into that cover Posted Image. But seriously, will you just be doing a reproduction of WB's or designing your own? Put a scan up when you're done. Cheers.

------------------
--Bernie Faulkner

--Bernie Faulkner

#17 of 41 DeborahK

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted November 05 2001 - 07:57 AM

Just thought I would pop back in here to say that I did finally see the 1957 Hammer The Mummy. A friend with a Netflix account rented it for me (rentmydvd.com did not have it) and I watched it the weekend before Halloween. Thanks for the recommendations -- I did really enjoy it!

I also saw The Horror of Dracula on the Sci-Fi channel the same weekend. So I now know who Peter Cushing is -- consider me a convert. Posted Image I will probably buy the Hammer Mummy eventually. One odd thing about the disk, tho -- I could not get the scene selection option to work on my DVD player. Anyone else, have a problem with this?

Deborah

------------------

#18 of 41 George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted November 05 2001 - 11:40 AM

Attention Warner! Wake up an release:
TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTOYED
DRACULA A.D. 1972

and the many other Hammer prisoners

#19 of 41 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted November 05 2001 - 12:11 PM

Just posted a review with some nice looking screen shots, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.thecinema....y-1959-dvd.htm

------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#20 of 41 DeborahK

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted November 05 2001 - 12:21 PM

Derek,

Nice review! Thanks for posting the link.

Deborah

------------------