What's new

'Shrek' Beats 'The Phantom Menace' As Fastest Selling DVD (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
From USA Today:
quote: In its first three days of release, DreamWorks' computer-animated film Shrek has broken video sales records dating back six years, selling more than 7 million DVD and VHS copies since Friday. The DVD alone sold more than 2.5 million units, relacing Star Wars: EpisodeI: The Phantom Menace - which sold 2.2 million copies in its first week of release, beginning Oct. 16 - as the fastest-selling DVD in the digital format's five year history.[/quote]
I bet nobody here was expecting this.
wink.gif

~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on November 06, 2001 at 10:02 AM]

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Wow. I certainly wasn't expecting it. Good for dreamworks, this is a great disc.
------------------
Michael Caicedo
Winter Park, FL
- At my signal, unleash hell...

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
What is so sad about the vhs outselling the dvd? While those of us HTFers - and many others - prefer the quality/features/etc offered by dvd the fact is that there are still many more VCRs in people's homes than dvd players. I think the more positive spin is to note that there have been 3 major releases now to sell over 2 million dvds in a matter of days. That means dvd is penetrating the home market in a major way. Give it time. VHS' days are numbered.
------------------
"Wait a minute. Was she a great big fat person?"
My DVD Collection

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I guess I'm in the minority that felt like Shrek was simply average and overated and I know there are folks that felt the same toward The Phantom Menace. However, remember that the Phantom Menace sold 2.2 million dvd's 29 months after it's theatrical release. Shrek was just at theaters 6 months ago, and was the biggest box office movie of the lousy 2001 movie year. Both dvd sales are impressive.
------------------

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
These 3 latest blockbuster titles (Mummy Returns, Phantom Menace, Shrek) will mean the addition of many more thousands of DVD players in peoples homes now, and in the next few months. Don't expect VHS to outsell DVD for much longer.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I think it is rather impressive if VHS outsold DVD by only a 2:1 ratio. After all, the ratio of VHS owners to DVD owners is much higher than 2:1. When you compare the number of DVD owners to VHS, you would expect that the VHS would outsell the DVD by MUCH more than a 2:1 ratio.
It just demonstrates once again that DVD owners tend to buy more movies than VHS owners. I know that I almost never bought a movie on VHS, but I don't hesitate to buy a DVD (including Shrek).
Now let's hope that nobody concludes that the inclusion of P&S is the reason the disc sold so well!
frown.gif

Steve K.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I guess I'm in the minority that felt like Shrek was simply average and overrated
Nope you are not alone. I also found it to be way overrated. It's one of those movies that appeals to folks that like to laugh about fart jokes instead of relying on more intelligent humor. There is a large group of folks that just loves bodily fluid jokes and this movie is right down there alley. On the other hand the image and sound quality from this DVD is stellar! The extras are amazing as well. My only question is if 1.78:1 is the actual of this movie. Other than that the DVD is loaded.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's one of those movies that appeals to folks that like to laugh about fart jokes instead of relying on more intelligent humor. There is a large group of folks that just loves bodily fluid jokes and this movie is right down there alley.
Huh?
I, for one, can't stand toilet humor, and I thought Shrek was exceptionally funny. Other than a few lowbrow moments ("Wipe your … face," and all the jokes about Farquaad's stature), I thought Shrek showed a lot of wit.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
At my work Shrek on DVD outsold the VHS 3:1. The numbers weren't even close.
------------------
Jonathan

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
quote: There is a large group of folks that just loves bodily fluid jokes and this movie is right down there alley.[/quote]
Yes, 50% of my household...my 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Of course I loved it too, but on a different level. I also thought that it was a very witty movie.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on November 06, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oswald, I found your statement a tad offensive. Funny is funny.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
quote: It's one of those movies that appeals to folks that like to laugh about fart jokes instead of relying on more intelligent humor. [/quote]
Hey, thanks for making broad generalizations about thousands of people you don't even know. I absolutely LOVED Shrek - despite the "fart jokes" and not because of them. And if you thought Shrek was bereft of "intelligent humor", I'd recommend watching it a few more times. There are several subtle gags that might fly over your head while you're concentrating on the "fart jokes".
And try not to praise yourself by insulting others.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on November 06, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

Jason Pugh

Agent
I wasn't surprised at Shrek outselling Phantom Menace at all. The HUGE promotion put on by Blockbuster EASILY tipped the scales in the favor of Shrek. I never see people buying DVDs/VHS movies at BB and they were lined up to get Shrek due to the $25 for Shrek and 10 DVD/MOVIE rentals.
This really does make it an unfair comparison in my opinion. Just in my close relatives I know 3 people that bought it due to this promotion that probably would have just rented it.
As far as which movie is best, I have to go with Shrek. I bought Phantom Menace and like it ok but amazingly Shrek keeps more people interested longer.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Another thing I noticed is that in the print and TV ads, the VHS version was featured more prominently than the DVD.
As for the fart humor in Shrek, it didn't bother anymore than it did in TPM. I didn't like it because other than spoofing/making fun of Disney and fairy tales, it was pretty shallow.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Shrek was a hillarious movie! Even the karoke music video was excellent. I enjoyed watching the Tech of Shrek. One of these days I'm going to have to actually see what is on the first dvd. Way to go Dreamworks!!!!

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
John Williamson
No need to be offended, it is just my opinion, and it can be taken with a grain of salt as far as I am concerned. I was not trying to offened anyone. Heck you can't please everyone anyway. After rethinking what I said, I still stand by my opinion. It did have a few good comedy scenes in it but in general it was toilet humor. It is a class act DVD from dreamworks, and I hope we see more of them, minus the 1.33:1.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks