Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

diagnosing & updating my gear....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 05:48 AM

hi all -

i have a 99 4Runner. it has:

1. alpine head unit
2. alpine v series (don't know which one) amp
3. alpine speakers
4. sub box made by my girlfriend's newphew (who knows his stuff).

everything except the sub was already installed when i bought the truck. so here's the scoop.

it turns out one of my speakers isn't working (front left) at all. heck, i never even realized it. also, (i guess) my sub is only receiving power from the head unit -- so it sounds horrible. very muffly, weak -- not tight and punchy. i know it's not the sub itself since i know the guy who built it knows his stuff. also, (if it matters), my sub is controllable via a small knob attached to my dash.

so, here's what i'm thinking.

1. get a new head-unit (i want one that plays mp3's)
2. keep the amp for my four main speakers
3. add a new amp for my sub

does that sound about right? if anyone has any other ideas, i'd love to hear it.

also, if you know of decent gear available at best buy, please make recommendations. i'm working there so i can get my stuff at cost.

thx!

oh yeah, assuming the worst and that i have to change out my front left speaker, does it really matter if i keep the back ones the same? of course, i'll change out the front right one. i assume timbre-matching isn't really important in car audio?

finally, keep in mind i'm not a hardcore car guy - i just want decent sound and a nice, tight and fast sub. (i hate boomy bass...)

#2 of 8 VinhT

VinhT

Second Unit

• 357 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 11:45 AM

Sounds fine to me. Posted Image

Not too familiar with the car audio selection at Best Buy, so unable to make recommendations in that regard.

Go ahead and keep the rear speakers you already have. I've actually never heard of timbre matching being an issue in car audio. (Although it may become necessary with 5.1 setups)

Go with a sealed sub for non-boomy bass in a mobile environment.
Vinh Tran

#3 of 8 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 11:22 AM

thx vinh -

i do have a sealed sub, so i think once i get everything fine-tuned, i'm gonna be a happy camper. Posted Image

#4 of 8 Edison Tinker

Edison Tinker

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 03:27 PM

Your plan for upgrading sounds well planned Posted Image!

I can understand wanting to take advantage of your Best Buy discount for your car audio products, however, from their brands, I can really only wholeheartedly recommend two: Rockford Fosgate and Pioneer...

Take a look at the higher end Pioneer source units, of the models listed on their website, I'd take a look at either the DEH-P8500M or DEH-P7600MP for your needs...the deciding factor between these two is whether you want motorization and what your budget will allow...I prefer the aesthetics of the DEH-P7600MP myself...it's just less eye-catching without being too plain looking...and no motorization so less to worry about malfuctioning...

I'd look into the new line of Punch amps from Rockford...without knowing the woofer model and specifications (size, power handling, impedence) it's hard to recommend a specific model amp, but from what you've stated about your musical preferences I's say an amp that will push between 200-300 watts into 1 4-ohm woofer would be sufficient for your setup...something like the RF Punch P2002...it'll get decently loud without being too overbearing and since your enclosure is sealed it will give you volume without sacrificing sound quality...

As for front speakers, I'd recommend cheking out a couple of the local shops, I see you're in Sacramento...I know Paradyme and Auto Radio Stereo both have good reputations, you might be able to find some good front stage speakers at either of those shops (Paradyme has FoCal, Kicker, Alpine and Infinity, Auto Radio Stereo has Boston Acoustics, Eclipse, JL and MB Quart I believe)...Best Buy's offerings are just a bit weak in that department...you'd be better off shopping around to get the most for your money...

Good Luck! Posted Image
Fourteen hours ahead, a head that's heavier than lead...toothpicks pry open my eyes, a smile more yellow than the sky...

#5 of 8 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 06:37 PM

wow edison - thank you very much for your input...i really appreciate it. i will *definitely* be checking our the models you recommended ... you sound like you know your shizzle. Posted Image

the motorization thing brings up a good point. just how reliable are those mechanisms? i'll probably pick up the extended warranty (again cuz of my discount) -- but that does leave me curious about durability...

i'm shocked i need 200w to push that sub ... i guess car audio is a whole different beast.

#6 of 8 Edison Tinker

Edison Tinker

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 04:22 AM

Well, motorization is a really neat novelty...until it breaks and you have to fix it...now personally, I've never had any motorized units go completely bad on me (I've owned two, each for about a year...one started to "stick" on me before I replaced it)...I'm just not a big fan of them...too gimmicky, motors might introduce noise (a slim chance but a chance nonetheless especially if the unit is not grounded well enough) and there is a price premium that you'll pay for the motorized face...just MHO...

As far as power for your Sub, you may not need 200 watts...it all depends on your taste and how loud you'll listen...I like having the extra wattage (I run a single 10" with about 250 watts)...I'm able to keep the gains low on the amp and get a cleaner signal too...just one of the benefits of more power...remember that you'll have to overcome road noise which really kills low frequencies effectively...you can lose anywhere from 3-6dB (sometimes as much as 10dB)from the effects of road/wind noise depending on the vehicle!...that will necessitate higher power for a nice, clean volume level with minimal distortion...

In any case, I'm glad I could offer some help...good luck again!
Fourteen hours ahead, a head that's heavier than lead...toothpicks pry open my eyes, a smile more yellow than the sky...

#7 of 8 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted March 19 2004 - 04:53 AM

points well taken. thx again... Posted Image

#8 of 8 Mark gas

Mark gas

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 06:59 PM

First thing to know is what VC config you have on your sub.
second you need to know what gauge power wire you rae running to your amp.
Once you know those things you can select a amp.
Here are some realy good deals:

http://www.millionbu...io-amp-sos.html