What's new

I know it's only a rumor, but.....Genesis reformed?? (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind seeing the Phil Collins era of Genesis once again (I've seen this band over 10X).

Their is some great music during those years starting with "Trick Of A Tail" to "ABACAB".

Listen to "Seconds Out" or "Three Sides Live" to see what a great live band Genesis was even without Peter.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I will see Gabriel in Glasgow in june with hopefully some classic tunes from the Genesis Era.

Would be great to see if this turns out to be true

:emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm sure it will be no Gabriel, and there's no way Gabriel is playing old Genesis songs again. He hasn't done that for 25 years or so. PG and the other Genesis boys have just taken off in way too disparate directions. In the words of David St. Hubbins: "That train has sailed."

(Then again, I thought the Redskins and Joe Gibbs had taken off in separate directions...)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Don't hold your breath. I saw Gabriel last summer and he performed zero Genesis material. As Andrew said, he doesn't touch Genesis material anymore, but performs his solo career material, which aint half bad if you ask me.

J

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I agree - in many ways they were a better live act without PG, who was innovative, but rather too twee at times. However, I began to lose interest with Collins-era Genesis towards the end when they pointedly refused to play the old stuff beyond that rather useless medley. I'd have thought they'd get the hint from the huge cheer the old stuff got at concerts and the rather sullen reaction to 'Driving The Last Spike' and similar yawn-fests, but alas, no. :frowning:

Going back on topic - I think Satan will be skating to work before we see a reformed Genesis.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should quote David St. Hubbins [although that sounds more like Austin Powers in the first movie referring to Hurley's mom]. If there is anything that movie, and the "life it imitates" has shown us, never say never when it comes to reuniting bands. :D

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i can't get into "seconds out", it's not the musicianship, it's not collin's voice, i think it's just that collin's didn't really "get" gabriel. when collins sings "and the lamb, lies down, 'down-down-down!', on broadway", and "there is in fact more earth than sea, 'more earth than sea-eee'" he just cheese's it up for me. but i like his voice and the playing is great. and genesis material sans gabriel had some great moments, i just prefer the gabriel genesis at it's best.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think 'Driving The Last Spike' is actually one of the highlights of later Genesis. Great song.

Personally, I'd be fine if Gabriel didn't return for a reunion, but having Hackett would need to be a requirement. I think they lost a lot more when he left than when Peter left, IMO.

Jason

John Geelan

Screenwriter
If Steve Hackett showed up at a Genesis reunion, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I also agree that Genesis lost alot by the deparure of Hackett. His guitar style fit that group prefectly.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
This will be as close to a Genesis reunion as can be....for now.

Mike (Rutherford) & The Mechanics will be the supporting act for Phil Collins' solo tour. Well, for a couple of shows in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks