Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I know it's only a rumor, but.....Genesis reformed??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#41 of 168 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 19 2005 - 12:41 PM

I'd better get with it and renew my passport. If the classic Genesis lineup does reform for a show (or shows), I will fly anywhere and pay anything to see them.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#42 of 168 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted October 19 2005 - 02:32 PM

If I didn't have a newborn being fed by the wife right now, I'd be on that plane right beside you. Oh well, I guess I'll settle for the inevitable DVD (should this highly unlikely reunion ever happen). Of course, Gabriel recently said he'd turned down a "substantial amount of money" for a reunion--not because he's holding out for more, but because he's not interested (if we take his word for it). So maybe this call to Hackett was before Gabriel turned down the idea.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#43 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 04:01 PM

Quote:
So maybe this call to Hackett was before Gabriel turned down the idea.

Or the reunion, if it happens at all, will only involve Banks, Collins, Hackett and Rutherford.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#44 of 168 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:38 PM

Quote:
Or the reunion, if it happens at all, will only involve Banks, Collins, Hackett and Rutherford.

Danny, that wouldn't be too shabby, would it? We're talking about the band line-up that produced Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail.

#45 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Danny, that wouldn't be too shabby, would it? We're talking about the band line-up that produced Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail.

Not at all, Andrew. This lineup has a much higher chance of being regrouped for a reunion than one with Peter Gabriel. Get Chester and Daryl involved and you'll have a full band. Do some shows in London/New York, drop in a song or two from GTR or Mike and The mechanics for fun, film/record it, and that would pretty much put the reunion thing to rest.

Of course, this would mean Phil being the frontman for the group, which he doesn't want to be.

#46 of 168 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Of course, this would mean Phil being the frontman for the group, which he doesn't want to be.
This is why the reunion will never happen. Phil just wants to play drums. Peter doesn't want to do it (and even if he did, how happy would Mike and Tony be going back to just the first quarter of their career--it would be like the Stones never performing anything they wrote after 1970). If I had any influence in the music world, I'd suggest the following:

Apart from Steve Hackett (I simply don't know), the others have expressed, to varying degrees, interests in a number of charities. I would appeal to them from that angle. I'd propose short (10 locations) tour (with perhaps 3-4 nights at each location--more shows for fans, less travel for the band). I'd let each band member choose 2-3 tunes from the Genesis repertoire they'd like to do, plus 1-2 from their own. That way, everyone gets to do something they like, everyone gets to do something of their own, a DVD is filmed of the concert (with all the extras, of course) and they can donate each of their shares to the charity of their choice. It's a one-off (no neverending tours), it's for a good cause, it's still early enough that they can actually do it (in another decade or so, I'm not so sure--the Stones notwithstanding) and it should satisfy (to some extent) everyone. Anyway, that's how I'd do it.

#47 of 168 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 20 2005 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
it would be like the Stones never performing anything they wrote after 1970

I'm sure some people wouldn't mind that! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#48 of 168 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure I'd want to see Peter Gabriel being frontman again. The PG of that era relied to some degree on his youth. PG has, I think to his great credit, allowed himself to age naturally. I mean this with the greatest of respect, but he looks his age - he's healthy and trim and he looks a lot better than most of his age group, but he isn't vainly trying to impersonate someone thirty years younger. Could you really see the PG of today in a red dress and a fox mask? I also really couldn't see PG tackling a lot of later Genesis material, because they are structured around Phil Collins's personality. Whilst I could imagine PG doing a very passable Hold on to My Heart, could you really face him singing I Can't Dance?

I think Danny's idea of (basically) a History of Genesis and Side Projects would work. Perhaps the concert could be split over two nights, and then released as a mega-sized DVD box set.

Well, we can dream, can't we? Posted Image

#49 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 22 2005 - 07:33 PM

OK, this bit of news is on the forums of every official website of Genesis, Phil Collins, and Peter Gabriel....

Anyone caught the TV entertainment news/gossip show "Extra" where Peter Gabriel was interviewed recently? When asked about a possible Genesis reunion, PG said he will meet with the other members of the group and talk about it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anyone has a link to the recent CNN interview with Phil and Mike about "The Video Show" DVD? Of course, the possibility of a reunion was asked.

#50 of 168 Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:09 AM

This just in! Glaciers have appeared on the outskirts of Hell and are beginning to press inward toward that flaming domain's center! More news as events warrant.
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#51 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 07:59 AM

In the meantime, here's recent Phil Collins interview about Genesis....possible reunion....various members of Genesis....not able to play 70s Genesis drum parts....Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame....various songs.....

Interesting read

#52 of 168 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted October 26 2005 - 05:59 AM

good read--nice find

#53 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 07 2005 - 03:24 PM

Check out Phil Collins in action with Genesis tribute band, The Musical Box, in the below link (scroll to the middle of page)....

http://www.genesis-f...b.de/downloads/

Btw, the possibility of a Genesis reunion has made the "front page" of Yahoo news.

#54 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 08 2005 - 05:23 PM

Musictap.net reported today the following....

Quote:
Phil Collins goes on record today to say that a Genesis reunion with Gabriel at the mike is a "possibility." We have already heard Gabriel state that he'd do it but not as a revisitiation of old material. Instead, a stipulation was that he'd do it, forward moving with new material. Now Hackett, Banks, and Rutherford need to get in line with their agreements and thoughts and everyone's schedule has to be trimmed to allow it to happen. So, cross those fingers and let's hope that it works.

#55 of 168 ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 04:15 AM

While I'd be very curious to see what they might come up with in terms of new material, it would be a HUGE disappointment if these guys tour and we don't get a bunch of the classics.

Chris

#56 of 168 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 06:16 AM

I think IF (and it's a mighty big IF), they do this, then they'd probably include a few chestnuts, but I think Peter Gabriel, especially, doesn't want it to be a "greatest hits" tour like the Eagles (which I enjoyed at the concert back in March in Montreal, so I'm not necessarily knocking "greatest hits" tours) are doing. He has been gone for 30 years now, so I can understand his point of view (you don't even get many old Peter Gabriel songs at a Gabriel concert).

#57 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 11:10 AM

From Rolling Stone magazine

http://www.rollingst....s-player=false

Original frontman says reunion talks are imminent

Quote:
Will the Lamb lie down on Broadway once more? For years, the former members of Genesis have said that they are ready, willing and able to reform the group at original frontman Peter Gabriel's whim -- and for years Gabriel has adamantly refused. Until now. "The odds [of a Genesis reunion] are better now than before," Gabriel tells Rolling Stone. "We're going to have the conversation."
Aside from a one-off concert in 1982, Gabriel has not stood on stage with the classic five-man Genesis lineup since the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour ended in May of 1975. Phil Collins, who had played drums since joining the group prior to its third album in 1971, took over as vocalist in 1976 and lifted the British art rockers to stadiums all over the world. Collins quit the group after 1992's We Can't Dance tour to focus on his successful solo career. Remaining members Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford recruited former Stiltskin vocalist Ray Wilson for the 1997 release Calling All Stations, which fared so poorly that Genesis were forced to cancel a tour of American theaters. The group quietly folded in 1998.

Since then, a large cult of fans (particularly of the Gabriel era) have kept the Genesis flame alive. Phil Collins played with Genesis tribute band the Musical Box -- who recreate the Gabriel era with frightening precision -- when they visited his hometown of Geneva, Switzerland recently. Earlier this week, Collins reaffirmed his desire to drum again for the real thing during a Tel Aviv press conference. Last month, guitarist Steve Hackett told the Chicago Sun-Times that he received a phone call from Genesis management. "There's a movement to put us all together again," he said. "I do think it will happen."

Notorious perfectionist Gabriel warns that any reunion concert would require serious preparation time. "When we got back together in 1982, I don't think we rehearsed," he says. "To really do it properly, we'd have to take more time. It's quite a commitment."

When pushed to definitely say if the group is reuniting, Gabriel remains coy: "I wouldn't put money on it . . . yet."

#58 of 168 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 12:27 PM

I was surprised to see in my local newspaper today similar news to all this. San Jose Mercury News... Keeping my fingers crossed.

I guess one question if Peter is on board, would they do any post Peter Gabriel material? I'd imagine they'd have to. But hopefully nothing after "Genesis". Keep it limited to the good stuff. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#59 of 168 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 02:30 PM

Just within the last 3 days, we have both Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel saying they are up for the reunion....if everything is worked out right. This is a good sign. At the very least, PG is consider doing it.

I think if PG is onboard, Steve Hackett will do the reunion as well.

So what about Banks and Rutherford?

#60 of 168 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted November 09 2005 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
I was surprised to see in my local newspaper today similar news to all this. San Jose Mercury News...

The Houston Chronicle also ran a piece about this (Collins saying he's willing) just yesterday. All this can't be coincidence. Something's definitely brewing.

Quote:
So what about Banks and Rutherford?
I can't imagine they wouldn't be on board if Peter & Phil are. And I don't think P & P would even consider doing it without Mike & Tony. Mike & Tony ARE Genesis.

Heck, they should talk to Ant too!! Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow