Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Biwiring problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick-N

Nick-N

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 04:26 AM

I recently biwired my front floorstanding speakers to my receiver. The receiver only has two terminals per speaker, but when I twisted the 4 cable ends together in order to merge 4 cable ends into two, they would not fit in the little hole under the plastic hood. My solution was to put the ends into different sides of the holes, as I've illustrated here (the black lines repesent the metal part of the output): f1 .pg .photos .yahoo .com/ ph/ eu...4& .dnm=5a71 .jpg (Paste into another browser window and remove the gaps) Upon testing, I was disappointed to hear a descrease in sound quality. There seems to be a problem with midrange frequencies. Orchestral strings are half drowned out and no longer fill the room when they are supposed to get loud. Also the sound is uneven. Sometimes there will be a noticeable dip in the volume of an instrument or it will shift from one side to the other. Could this be caused by the way I've wired the cables to the receiver terminals? For example if the tips of the cable ends are touching the other cable?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 07:39 AM

well I can't get the link to work, but I'd think your main problem has to do with some sloppy wiring. make sure nothing's touching and run positive to positive, negative to negative.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 07:43 AM

Is there a website where somebody could see what "biwiring" SHOULD look like? I have a Denon 3803, which only has one set of posts for the mains. Can you biwire by hooking two runs of wire into a single set of banana plugs and just plugging them in?
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV..."

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Ken Smith

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 01:27 AM

You could go to www.nordost.com. They sell bi-wired speaker cable and should have pics.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 10:27 AM

that's what i did with mine. i just took a run of 2 stranded speaker wire (i forget the gauge exactly, but substantial). twisted the 2 wires together at one end and put on 1 banana clip and put an individual banana clip on the other individual 2 ends. voila. made 5 more identical runs of equal length, just like this, to wire my fronts and center. works well.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Scott... thats what I did... So far it looks (sounds) like it works just fine...
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users