What's new

$2050 for PB2-Plus- Competition????!!!! (1 Viewer)

Bo Assdale

Agent
Hey everybody!!

I live in Denmark Scandinavia- Europe and I am currently contemplating to buy a PB2-Plus but because of shipping-costs, custom-fees and xtra-taxes it's going to cost me about $2050!!! Are there any other brands of subs that can compete at this price (...even DIY?!)

My room is 24 square Meters (2,3 meters ceiling-height) but I would like my sub to be future-proof for even larger rooms (double the size...)

The PB2-ISD will set me back $1620! Is it a better deal- could I find anything to rival it in this priceclass?!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Something to consider is one of the cylinder subs like the PC-Ultra. It weighs about half of the pb2+ so that would probably drop the shipping costs some. I'm not sure what the total would come to, but it's something to consider.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Translating into our measuring... you have a room about 2000-2200^3 feet... The PB2+ will definitely do the job...

What do other subs cost there ? Are there others you are considering ?

ScottCarr

Second Unit
have you emailed [email protected]?

I wiuld think the PB21sd would fit the bill. If I recall correctly the PB2+ will offer you about 2 to 3db more. I think with the room size and even double the size the PB2isd will fit the bill. It truly comes down to spending the extra for the Plus.

if it was me i would go for the plus. if I was a sensible person I would recommend the isd

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Yes, it was... and it seems like a passive might work also... perhaps use an amp you buy there...that way you are paying less in duties... shipping... etc...

SVS has shipped all over... e-mail them, especially Erik...

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Bo,

Which brands are available to you locally? I know Paradigm has some amazingly sweet pricing in much of Europe. Not sure if that extends all the way to Denmark though.

Tom V.
SVS

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Europe is "a bit" poor and lonely when it comes to high output commercial subwoofers... Velodyne is available in some countries, but that's more or less it. Dali seems interesting, but I hadn't heard their subs or read any reviews with measurements.

DIY: hell, we don't even have good subwoofer drivers. Peerless' XLS, that's it.

You can match PB2+'s performance with a DIY job, BUT you'll need a lot of tools, knowledge, strenght (try assembling a 30kg wooden box, then sanding, primering, painting it... it ain't funny and takes a lot of time) and ... again, quality DIY parts from US. I don't know where to get comparable parts in Europe. Someone please enlighten me.

Bo, hadn't you already ordered an SVS? We went thru this a few months ago...

Bo Assdale

Agent
I don't think DIY is a viable option as I am not exactly the "Sponge-Bob Handy-pants" of the Universe(I just wanted to hear your opinions even on this matter... ;)- just for the hell of it :b
How does the PC-Ultra compare to the PB2-ISD! The PC-Ultra will be around $1950!

The sub's I seem to bump into a lot are: (You probably don't know a lot of them...) Dali (A danish brand), B&W, KEF, Eltax (Cheap, cheap aaaaaand CHEAP :D- and Danish) Yamaha (I sold my YST sw-800 because of the excessive port-noise :thumbsdown: ) Jamo (A danish brand...), Infinity (American/danish brand- I thought about their Infinity Intermezzo 1.2S- sub but when i found out that Tom N. had prefered even the original 20-39 CS to it- I quickly changed my mind- It would set me back $1650!), Cerwin Vega, Canton, Audio Pro and JBL! (Ask me about different brands, that would perform fantastically at these prices and I'll tell you if we "have" them!)

...& YES Rudi- I did plan to have invested in the PB2-Plus a long time ago but then I suddenly had to move into a BIIIGG apaprtment with 3 of my friends and the xtra expences put a hold on things and made reconsider ! :frowning: But now I am back with just a couple more questions! :D

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I can't work out your calculations. Even for a UK owner (higher import/VAT than Denmark?) SVS's are great value for money- even after VAT & Customs.

SVS 20-39 PC Plus $825
$130 Shipping
£140 VAT & Customs (17.5% & 4%)
£10 Bax charge

Worked out £720 about 6 months ago (roughly $1.6 to £1)

Kef subs aren't that great.

Bo Assdale

Agent
I hope your right John :frowning: but the shipping is already a lot more than what you have to pay-
$210 for all cylinder-subs I am considering and $235 for the Box ones!
On top of that: VAT & Customs are respectively 25% & 14%! :frowning:

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Yikes- 39% total charge! :-O

Worked out around 11,400 Kroners for the PC Ultra (for sub, shipping, 39% charge :-( ) That sound about right?

What can you buy for 11,400 Kroners?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Bo, after looking at the cost for various SVS's, I'd say just go for either the PB2 ISD or the PB2 Plus. I think the PB1 would be better than your non SVS alternatives.

Now as long as they don't send you MY PB2 ISD, I will be happy. :D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd check into the Paradigm servo15 from the above dealer at the least. From what I understand, the Paradigm pricing is so good in much of Europe, you can get DUAL servo15s for about the same price as a CT15 for example. I think dual servos would be somewhat comparable to the PB-2isd performance wise.

Tom V.
SVS

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

Pfffft! I laugh at your 25% & 14% when I got my dual 16-46CS+ setup I had to pay 35% & 15% on the subs inclusive of shipping to Trinidad!! :angry:

AND I have to deal with a 6.7 to one exchange rate!! :angry: :angry:

Still ... No regrets! :emoji_thumbsup: I could use another free T-shirt or something though! Tom? Ron? lol :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Adire Audio has a bunch of dealers in Europe. None in Denmark though.

http://www.adireaudio.com/dealers/dealers.htm

DIY really is worth the effort and it isn't all that hard. The hard part is getting a really nice finish. If the finish isn't that important to you almost anyone can build a kick ass sub if they use the right parts and follow a proven design.

If you can get your hands on a couple Shivas or a Tempest for a reasonable price from a European dealer you won't be disappointed with the end result.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Jamo subs aren't that good. For the price anyways. My Jamo e4.4 sub that retailed for 600cnd didn't sound like a $600 sub, more like $400ish. But I got it for half price so it wasn't all that bad. But I recen't listened to a $1200 Jamo sub and it didn't sound that great either. Don't think it went low enough. I'm going to get me a svs soon. probably a entry level pci or pbi.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I understand that the import and other fees can be terrible. I quarantee you that even paying them your last sub will be the SVS PB2+. I have been through a few and my latest was dual 10" NHT subs. The PB2+ left them in the dust. Suck it in, call Ron and see what he can do for you shipping and other stuff wise and get the PB2+. Then you will never have that,, what if feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks