What's new

We need pop up blocker for TV.. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of watching your favorite showes just to be annoyed by TV pop up's? It seams to be getting to the point that tv is just as bad as using your computer anymore. I'm so tired of every minute or two something goes dancing across the screen flashing what is coming on next or in a week from now, or I've even seen some that are for showes coming up in a couple months. It's bad enough that we have to deal with station logo's in the corners all the time & now this is getting to the point of being unbearable.
I really wish someone could make a device you could run in line with your sat or cable to filter these out for good. It really pisses me off that we are paying for programing that is bombarded by this junk all the time. It wont be long & (even though I don't have them) our movie channels will be following suit with the same junk. Another thing that drives me nuts about it is if there is subtitles or anything at the bottom of the tv your trying to read this junk always covers it up just long enough that you miss what it said :angry: :angry: .
Anyway just wonted to vent some. But really how many other people dose this annoy the hell out of, or is it just me?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I would pay big bucks for a Video Professer Filter ....even more to get rid of the guy who screams to sell the cleaning crap.
You are right about the subtitles blocker, don't anyone watch their own programs to see what the public sees????

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'd like one of those too.

I don't know how anyone would do this, but could this be something like the commercial advance that some VCR's have?

Or maybe we'd have to wait until someone comes out with a blocker for the digital signals, but this would be nice, in any event.

Glenn

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
These ads have gotten worse! Now they use the entire lower third of the screen to promote other shows :angry: :angry:

I've always said that there will be a day in the not so distant future where there will be a continuous soundtrack underneath what you are listening to that just keeps looping "You are watching (insert station ID here)...You are watching (insert station ID here)...You are watching (insert station ID here)...You are watching (insert station ID here)...You are watching (insert station ID here)...You are watching (insert station ID here)..."

:angry: :angry:

If anyone from Fox is reading: I've actually made it a point to not watch any show that is promoted during the Simpsons. Screw with my Simpson enjoyment and I quit watching your station.

david stark

Second Unit
Well at least you guys don't watch football (well soccer to you). Since moving over to Canada I have to put up with the in game adverts. Since football (soccer) consists of 2 halves of 45 minutes each with no natural break in the 45 minutes what do the stations do? Well one of them pretty much runs a continous scrolling ad at the bottom of the screen for most of it. The other at one point in each half minimises the game to a little box in the bottom right of the screen and then plays a normal advert (commercial) using the rest of the screen with sound so I end up squinting at a little square at the bottom of my screen grrrrrrrr :angry:

John Watson

Screenwriter
I'm soooo sick of commercials. I go out of my way not to buy something that is promoted with irritating or duplicitous advertising.

Apart from the increased proportion of space (time and area on TV screens, or ads in movie theaters, or on a DVD, that I have paid for already) for advertisements, they get more in-our-face (as when significantly louder than the program they are interrupting), and the stations clip micro-seconds to jam more into the break. Ya know, where a fraction of the last ad is actually clipped off, as the next ad starts?

I sometimes wonder if the company whose ad is clipped doesn't complain? (But I'm just musing about that, a plague on all their nefarious houses :D )

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
There you go we need an episode where Homer just eats all the pop up's, up for good, Or Bart blows them all up, & Nelson beats some up. Hell make it a Simpson pop up free for all Mr Burns could kill the power to them, Quency could ( oh ya nevermind ) Millhouse could offend off the lady pop up's by asking them out, Flanders could Pray them away, ext ext. That could be worth watching them one last time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing about the Simpsons is that they DID make fun of that Joe Millionare banner. That episode was just on a few days ago and I actually thought it was a real ad. :b I was like "Another Joe Millionare???" :eek:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I was able to deal with the station bugs in the lower corner. Didn't bother me.

What bugs me are the new ads that not only appear TNN/Spike-style and cover part of the screen, but ads that actually have SOUND.

A&E has been pissing me off of late. I'm watching a crime-drama of some sort, and a graphic of a plane flies across the lower portion of the screen, loops and flies back, leaving behind the word AIRLINE. Promo for the new show. I could almost deal with it, if it wasn't accompanied by the SOUND OF A JET FLYING BY. Hello? I'm listening to my SHOW here?! :angry:

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I agree. I hardly watch TV, just movies. I glanced at FX the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of ads. I enjoy Simpsons and Buffy on DVD and that's about it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I agree whole hartedly. But as someone else reminded me when I complained about the same thing, Television was invented to sell you stuff.

I guess that's why I hardly watch as much TV as I used to. Back in the day before Logo's on TV stations started, I could list about 20 shows I watched regularly. Half repeats, half new stuff. Now with all the logos/popups/reality shows, it's narrowed down to about 7. I'm almost at the point where I'd rather watch TV shows on DVD only for the first time, so I don't have to deal with the commercials or popups...let alone edits to fit in more commercials no one will watch...

Thanks god for VCR's...

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Some stations like TBS are doing something called 'Time compression" that apparently removes 'bits' of video that we are are not suppose to notice,then during a 2 hour period they collect another 30 seconds (or what ever) and add another commercial. I can't hardly seat through commercial Tv anymore, and to top it off they play the same commercial over and over.....

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

When will the point of diminishing returns be reached? I always thought the purpose of commercial television was to attract viewers not repel them.

My local Fox station fills the bottom third of the screen with promos for the "Simpsons" while I am watching the "Simpsons". I know I am watching the "Simpsons".

I've also notice bugs, crawls, and other instrusions blocking important information like subtitles, identification of a "talking head" on news program, and the like.

I've been away from the U.S. for six plus years and now find watching TV to be a painful experience. Commecial breaks are so long that I can take the elevator in my apartment building three floors, start a load of laundary, and return and not miss any of the program I am watching. Heck, the more commecial time they use, the easier it is for me to use that time more productively.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

But CABLE was supposed to be a refuge from all the crap on regular TV- no commercials, no concern for ratings, innovative programming, but instead it's turned out to be more of the same crap as regular TV plus even MORE annoyances (bugs started on cable in the US before they moved on to regular TV). Just say no!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Terminator on TBS, and noticed it was moving quicker than it should... the actual speed of the movie was jacked up a bit during certain scenes... it really made it look bad...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It all started with the squeezing down of the credits at the end of the show and now it's this that we have to sit through.
I have also noticed another annoying thing as of late. A Green "Up" finger is displayed on the screen for tivo users pushing the show and trying to get you to record it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I cancelled cable more than two years ago because of serious issues with my provider in terms of migrating certain channels from the analog to the "digital" feeds. And, of course, because of those increasingly obnoxious station bugs.

Two years later, almost exclusively limited to PBS (with its in-depth news programs, documentary series, and so on) and to TV-on-DVD, I do not miss cable in the slightest.

As it is, I cannot tolerate commercial, broadcast television (I hate those soundbite programs the networks call the "news") with its ever-increasing promotional and corporate intrusions.

Michael Harris above correctly notes that commercial television has lost sight of the fact that part of its job is to attract viewers as opposed to driving them away.

But the public is to blame also, because of its docile, sheeplike silence all this while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks